What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how often to water in coco coir

S

sm0k4

my friend (who supposedly knows a lot about growing, though i am in doubt about this), says when you water you have to measure the exact amount of runoff and keep it on some level. I think it's bullshit. anyone ever heard of this?

Watering until you see runoff is for flushing out any excess salts left behind from previous feedings. 20-30% runoff is a good starting point. My plants get water once a day. I collect some runoff in a bucket, then water the plant lightly one more time before putting back into the tray so it has some water to suck up from the tray after it drains out.

Water on the tray all the time leads to root rot. They do need to get some dry period believe it or not. Just not bone dry. If you put some rocks or hydroton in the bottom of the pots, you could probably keep some standing water, just not that high so the coco isn't always saturated.

Watering until you see runoff is for flushing out any excess salts left behind from previous feedings. 20-30% runoff is a good starting point. My plants get water once a day. I collect some runoff in a bucket, then water the plant lightly one more time before putting back into the tray so it has some water to suck up from the tray after it drains out.

Water on the tray all the time leads to root rot. They do need to get some dry period believe it or not. Just not bone dry. If you put some rocks or hydroton in the bottom of the pots, you could probably keep some standing water, just not that high so the coco isn't always saturated.

that's some good info bro but it has nothing to do to what i was asking (or has it?):

is it necessary to measure the exact amount of runoff?

likewise - i know it's important to have 20-30% runoff. the thing I was asking about is whether it's important to keep an EXACT and CONSTANT amount of runoff going every watering (nothing to do with trays that's another thing) - for instance, he would say I should have exactly 23.4% runoff on every watering. this is what I was asking about. is it true?

greenatik

I have found that using smaller pots and watering 2-5 times a day gives the best yields and quality.... also drip clean to prevent necessary flushes

Dudesome

Veteran
Its cana coco A&B whilst i have your attention :tiphat: , how often can you advise me to flush, to get rid of salt buildup? I am hand watering to waste.

Just to skip the whole thread and answer your question right ahead.

You state that ur plants are no babies anymore.

1. you should feed them on daily basis meaning everyDAY.
2. 7 and 9 ml per galon of water is just insanely little... it's IMPRESSIVELY Little so to say. you should FEED your plants everyday anywhere between 10-14ml per LITER(which is almost 4 times less than gallon) of water. Once you start to flower its 15 ml/per liter everyday feed.(SORRY WRONG STATEMENT. EITHER IM TOO BAKED or THEY CHANGED THEIR NUTES STRENGTH within 4 years time)
3. you should flush your plant 1-2 times every 2 weeks with ALOT of water. you can add sucanat or molasis even then if you like. just not too much.
4. when you feed - allow 20-40% of water to run off. when you flush allow atleast 90% to run off.
5.that's it :) hope it helps

outinit

This thread has been very informative. I am new to growing and coco is my medium. It started off rocky, but I am getting the hang of it. I am feeding 2 times a day now that they are getting bigger. I was told if you want then to grow like hydro, feed like hydro, if you want them to grow like soil, feed like soil. I am using the KISS thread by Rez, as my basis. As soon as I get a little more experiene, I may tweak it, but for now, it is working. Good luck to everybody.

Snow Crash

Veteran
Just to skip the whole thread and answer your question right ahead.

You state that ur plants are no babies anymore.

2. 7 and 9 ml per galon of water is just insanely little... it's IMPRESSIVELY Little so to say. you should FEED your plants everyday anywhere between 10-14ml per LITER(which is almost 4 times less than gallon) of water. Once you start to flower its 15 ml/per liter everyday feed.

Wait... What?

15ml per L huh? 15ml of each? 15ml of A and 15ml of B? Per liter?

HUH?

:laughing:

Dudesome

Veteran
OfCOURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you know http://www.canna-uk.com/growguide ???

how teh fk are u then using a product you payed ur monee fo? :) Make some research befo buying nutes up.
You always wanna kno how long it can be enough fo so you always should check the nute schedule.

nothing worse than running out of food in the middle of your bloom stage and not being able to resuply. plan ahead mate.

so yes. 15 ml PER LITER OF WATER OF EACH OF CANNA COCO A AND B.(EDIT WRONG SORRY) that for the first to weaks of flowering. lower it down abit after. Cmon check their oficcial nutes calculator... it's great:)

Dudesome

Veteran
whaaat wait teh fk...
I think they either changed it or I blazed too much lol!

its actually 10 times less my recommendation. so all my posts may aswell be deleted.. well not the first one just need to edit it first....

ok they may have made the shit stronger. cuz it's been like 4 years since my last use of it. Im very sorry for missinformation. other statements hold tho

superbolan

These kinds of questions irk me. If you read the coco forum here there is a wealth of info and everything you need to know. You have an abundance of peoples knowledge here to utilize. Take the time and research these things BEFORE you grow. The search feature is your best friend , use it.

OI shit for brains (superbolan) why you trying to mug me off mate.. I think a lot and ask a lot of questions but this is because I'm likely more intelligent that you! Your probably some mentally handicaped polish imigrant that has just learned English to do us a favour and stick to talking to "sheeple" not busting in my threads. CRAP HEAD.

T

thesloppy

I'm certainly no expert on coco, but this thread actually seems to be full of misinformation. You don't need to runoff with coco. You don't need to flush every week. You don't need to use a flushing product. Your plants in coco can sit in standing water/runoff for the entirety of their lives, and grow just fine. Your coco plants should not be left to dry out completely in between waterings, as it is a hydroponic medium.

You may indeed get better plants with a much more convoluted/detailed feeding setup, but new/confused coco growers shouldn't get wrapped up in the idea that they need to be feeding and running off their coco on some ultra-specific schedule/ratio just to achieve decent results, or that their runoff ratio is the source of any problems.