What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Very Light Green Plants

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Photos show there could be many possibilities. What kind of soil and water are you using? Do you have an EC or TDS meter as well as a pH meter?

My soil is a mix of topsoil, compost, peat moss and a tiny bit of lime which I added to neutralize the acidity of the peat moss. It drains very well and often becomes somewhat dry between watering. I am using filtered tap water. I am growing in 1 gallon pots which surely contributes to the plants having a hard time getting the appropriate nutrients. I added some alaska brand fish fertilizer into the water which seemed to help them get darker and healthier in veg. I also added some kelp, seabird guano and langbeinite to the top of the soil in the pots after I transitioned the plants to flowering.

I do not have any meters and what I really need to do is get a few. I will stop by the local hardware or garden store today and do the tests I should have done previously. I will report back on my findings. Thanks Trout, Creeper and all the rest.

The ph meter I got is reading 6.5. I also got a soil test kit so I can try that as well to see if I get the same reading. J, do you think they are starving for all nutrients across the board? Is there anywhere you would recommend starting as far as adding more nutrients?

Or potentially it could be a nutrient lockout issue which is causing them to starve? I attempted to flush the plants with water several days ago but have not seen any improvement.

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
i hope ya took clones bud...

hate to say it, but you’re locked out to the point of a stunted bloom.

growing in small containers is not the issue,
you have a very heavy and rich mix, compounded by additional nutes being thrown on top.

ride this crop out, straight water but not too much,
they don’t like wet feet in bloom.

harvest...

then start over with a good airy mix brother,
the organics subsection here has some excellent mixes pinned

:rasta:

Thanks for the advice Eugene. Luckily I do have a couple clones of each plant.
When I started prepping for the grow I wondered if my home mix of soil would contain enough nutrients because it does have some compost but it is majority top soil (probably the top soil is mostly decomposed bamboo leaves). In veg stage the plants did show some yellowing of the lower leaves but adding the high nitrogen fish fertilizer seemed to make the plants much more happy which made me think that I would have to ammend with some flower nutrients as well...leading me to the current situation. Anyway I will make the best of it and do some tests so I have a better foundation for the next run. ; )

My initial reading of the pH meter after 5 minutes in the soil was 6.5, but after 30 minutes it was reading 7 or slightly above so I may have not needed to attempt to balance pH with the lime.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The compost you added will lockup the nitrogen, because compost needs nitrogen to decompose. If you used plain peat moss that doesn't have a wetting agent or a calcium charge, then the added lime is ok. Your plants are showing yellowing because of lack of nitrogen. If you use a ammonium nitrate fertilizer you can lower the pH and feed at the same time.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
My initial reading of the pH meter after 5 minutes in the soil was 6.5, but after 30 minutes it was reading 7 or slightly above so I may have not needed to attempt to balance pH with the lime.
Just a few comments:

1. The pH meter's sensor needs to be in storage liquid or even tapwater for at least 24 hours before use.

The meter needs to be hydrated for at least 24 hours, before you can get stable readings from it.

Also, the meter needs to be callibrated to the pH of the liquid that came with it.

2. It is much easier to start with a well known brand of cannabis media and nutrients before experimenting.

Canna, Plagron. Canna Bio Terra is more expensive, however is also very easy to use, within reason.

In combination with home made kombucha of cannabis leaves and raw sugar is all you need from seed through veg. Water slowly and thoroughly, and then do not water until the top of the soil is no longer moist when the lights come up. This way you won't overfeed or underfeed, overwater or underwater.

Always put the water you'll use next to the plants for at least a few hours or even days. That way there is no temperature shock.

Latest posts

Latest posts