What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strange leaf hook / curl - help needed please.

Blazeee

Veteran
Hi guys, recently ive been having some issues in my grow. Ive long suspected its down to bugs, possible broad/russet mite and have been trying to treat plants accordingly, but im starting to doubt myself.

I was just wondering if you guys could take a look, or if you have ever seen or experienced anything like this before

Plants are in soil and fed 1ml per L biogrow and 1ml per L plant magic cal mag and the leaf hook is currently only happening on one top.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
its a web from a insect. The web will form a around the leaf to make a home for the insect. They are very common outdoors but not indoors. The insect is a good guy, but if you don't like them you can remove it, and straighten it out.

Blazeee

Veteran
its a web from a insect. The web will form a around the leaf to make a home for the insect. They are very common outdoors but not indoors. The insect is a good guy, but if you don't like them you can remove it, and straighten it out.

Thanks for your response. I have been scoping my plants regularly and have been unable to see any bugs / insects.

Is this issue caused by a certain type of insect, if so do you know the name? Or could it be caused by any insect that leaves webbing, such as a house spider / harvestman?

I remember a few years back seeing some webbing in my veg tent, immediately panicking thinking I had spider mites, only later to find a small house spider had gotten in to the tent and was living on my plant lol.

Since posting the pics, I treated my plants with a pesticide which I applied via root drench, so will continue to monitor them and see if the leaf in question straightens back up, or if it starts to occur on more tops.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Is that top a lot closer to the light than the others? It could be heat/light overexposure. Are the bottom leaves a darker green and the darkness appears to be moving up the plant? That would be too much nitrogen. Mites can also cause that but you said you scoped them. Definitely keep an eye on it.

Blazeee

Veteran
Is that top a lot closer to the light than the others? It could be heat/light overexposure. Are the bottom leaves a darker green and the darkness appears to be moving up the plant? That would be too much nitrogen. Mites can also cause that but you said you scoped them. Definitely keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your response

For the past year I believe I have had a broad/russet mite infestation. I have applied various treatments, flying skull nuke em, predator mites (swirskii and cucumeris), og biowar foliar pack, Avid / abamectin, Forbid, Movento / kontos, sulphur soap (as im unable to source micronized sulphur in the uk), and these issues still keep occurring. I have previously documented other symptoms of damage.

Before I took in what i believe to be potentially infested cuts, I had 25 different strains mothered up, all in the same medium, fed the same feed that were all doing great (soil grown, biobizz all mix, 1-2ml per L bio gro, 1ml per L plant magic cal mag).

all my other variables are the same as they have been successfully for many years, watts per sqft, lamp height, temps, humidity, etc, yet these issue still keep occurring.

Quite a while back I believe I scoped a russet mite, on a hand held scope, however have not been able to grab pics on the digital microscope.

However its got to the point where im doubting myself, as i haven't been able to scope a bug since then, yet these issues stil occur?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you touch it the spider will leave and go somewhere else, or it may be dead now. I don't think you have anything to worry about at this time. By the looks of your leaves you are doing a super job and don't have anything to worry about. Keep an eye out for any spiders too and protect them because they are the good guys.