What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No meds for you

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
Long story short, I see a psychiatrist for depression and anxiety. My last Doc was cool with mj and he said if it helped to smoke then smoke. Well when he retired i had to find new doc. After 3 months of waiting I saw new doc and he told me he could not give me meds (prozac, clonapin) because i smoke. My question is. . . is that legal, refusing to prescribe meds to someone cause they smoke dope?

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
sunnyside

Unfortunately I don't think it is illegal. Different docs have different approaches to meds, there are no hard and fast rules unfortunately.

However I am a firm believer in voting with your feet when it comes to docs. If you are not happy with his management, try to find a different doc more like your last one. Maybe another med user in your area knows someone else you can see.

Good luck! -MGJ

I don't think he refused it because he's against it...it could be because some of these anti-depressants are MAOI's which can have near-fatal if not fatal reactions with many drugs and/or foods. more commonly found these days in anti-depressants are SSRI's, which can react negatively with various drugs as well... anti-depressants are really not something to mess with, so if he believes there could be a chance of them reacting negatively with you or your lifestyle he has to say no to save both yours and his ass. :)

--if smoking helps you, why do u need more meds? if it doesn't do a great job, maybe try a different strain :)

Good luck,

T_h

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
tropical thank you for reply. . . taking ssri, i dont think maoi's are even used anymore. . . smoking takes edge off, but if I stopped meds all together I would crawl in a hole and die!!! Seeing new doc now and I didnt tell him for fear of not getting meds:( . Why should I have to lie to my doc about using a natural substance that helps?

G

depending on your state...there should be a listing somewhere with Cannabis friendly Docs....if your in Cali...CANORML.org...is a great resource....if not find the equivialent....

Latest posts

Latest posts