What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

R.I.P. Tom Petty

vta

Veteran
So sad! Had the privilege of watching him in concert many times. One of the greatest !

Tom Petty, legendary rocker, is dead at 66

Tom Petty, the rocker best known as the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, is dead at 66, CBS News has confirmed.

The legendary musician suffered a full cardiac arrest and was found unconscious and not breathing in his Malibu home Sunday night. He was taken to UCLA Santa Monica Hospital and put on life support, reports TMZ.

Petty rose to fame in the 1970s with his band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The group put out several hits, including "American Girl," "Free Fallin'," "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around," "Breakdown," "Listen to Her Heart" and more. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

Though Petty and his band debuted their first self-titled record in 1976, they continued to perform over the past four decades. Petty played his last show last Monday, performing three sold-out shows at the Hollywood Bowl to conclude their 40th anniversary tour. The band wrote on their website that the tour included 53 shows in 24 states.

In December, Petty told Rolling Stone that he thought this would be the group's last tour together. He said, "It's very likely we'll keep playing, but will we take on 50 shows in one tour? I don't think so. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking this might be the last big one. We're all on the backside of our sixties. I have a granddaughter now I'd like to see as much as I can. I don't want to spend my life on the road. This tour will take me away for four months. With a little kid, that's a lot of time."

Petty, who released three solo albums and 13 albums with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, also took part in the 1980s supergroup the Traveling Wilburys with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne. He told Rolling Stone he was hoping to release a deluxe version of his 1994 solo album "Wildflowers" with a bonus disc of unreleased material. He had also hoped to play a special "Wildflowers" tour.

The rocker kept his hands full with his SiriusXM channel, Tom Petty Radio, as well. He personally oversaw the station and had his own interview show called "Tom Talks to Cool People" where he interviewed musicians like Micky Dolenz of the Monkees and former Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham.

M

moose eater

Wow!!

Must be some incredible music being played in the Great Beyond this year; Greg Allman on keyboards, David Bowie on vocals, Tom Petty on vocals and guitar..... and who knows who.

Guess we'll all get to see that show (maybe) eventually..

But as the ages of those passing on gets closer and closer to some of us, looking over the shoulder to see if the Grim Reaper is standing there, becomes more frequent.

RIP

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of my absolute favorites....sorry to hear the news. Won't back down.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Nothing but respect and love for Tom Petty. He was great, and he was 'one of us'. His music and spirit live on!

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
Just saw it also. That´s so sad. Some of his Songs where my most favorite Songs.

Into the great wide open,....

the gnome

Veteran
say it ain''t so!!
20min ago i heard on the tom petty sirius radio he had a massive heart attack
but was still hanging on, and now????
jeez being hit by a freight train doesn't compare to this
he was such a fugging monster musician, everyone loved tom and his music.
this is a blue monday

RIP
Tom Petty

vta

Veteran
It looks like CBS and others jumped the gun and reported his death prematurely after seeing clergy leave the room. He was taken off life support after no brain activity detected. It's only a matter of time now...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Around 87, 88, 89 I saw TP & The Heartbreakers at the Rosemont Horizon, north of Chicago. Lenny Kravitz was the opening act, around the time of Lenny's first album. It was a blizzard, so everybody had to park and get in shuttle buses to get to the show. They made Lenny Kravitz play to a half-filled auditorium with the lights on, while people were coming in. That was shitty, and you knew the guy deserved better.
Tom Petty and his band came out and played one of the best rock and roll shows I have ever seen. Tore the place up. I have never seen a crowd sing along to every song like at that show.

soundman

I watched several concerts of his. One of my all time favorites. He is a very genuine nice guy. I recorded pick up lines for king of the hill and Tom was always super friendly. I loved his voice acting work as well as his music. He will be missed.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Makes you feel your age and your own mortality when all the great rock acts seem to be dying off....

Tom Petty was a great act, and many of his songs will go on pleasing a vast audience for many years to come... RIP Tom.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn,,,
wot a poxy year!,,,,,
now another great gone,,,,
rip Mr Petty,,,,,,s2