What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dutch pilot experiment: LEGALLY growing organic female hemp flowers high in CBD

oldchuck

Veteran
They all flowered before I moved any of them. So I guess you could say Finola is an autoflower but shortening up the light did seem to have an impact.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Seed oil cannabinoids indicate contamination from outside the shell or maybe fragments of the bracts themselves during the processing. Good luck finding market for your leaves. That's where the value comment came from. Your soil won't be so great after everything is sucked out. The land here used to be super-soil too.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
FINOLA is not an autoflower because if you keep it under 24 hours it does not flower, while autoflower varieties do.
-SamS

They all flowered before I moved any of them. So I guess you could say Finola is an autoflower but shortening up the light did seem to have an impact.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
It is a bit confusing as it is information compiled from several other studies, and in fact shows conflicting results for CBD
as either nr (not reported) or 10 mg/kg while for THC as 50mg/kg or nd (not detectable without a THC standard)
I suspect that the reasons are the same that I found when conducting this type of analysis. If you do not clean the seeds well before pressing and analysis you do get trace amounts of Cannabinoids. They are not from inside the seeds rather they are from a little bit of resin or dust being stuck on the outside of seeds. Pre-cleaned Cannaibs seeds do not have Cannabinoids. This has been done over and over again to prove to various governments that hemp seed oil is "safe" for humans to consume. We did prove it. But the seeds need to be cleaned first. You can find articles on the studies if you look at http://www.internationalhempassociat...iha/index.html or at http://www.eiha.org/ I have been a member of both orgs since they started.
-SamS

Page 41. CBD content in oil dirived from hemp seed. 10 mg/kg. THC content not detectable.

http://www.davoil.ro/documente/the-...otential-as-an-important-source-nutrition.pdf

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sorry I did not reply, I tried to PM you, no luck.
It is as easy for you to find the laws as for me.
Do you speak Dutch? Try google and Bing to translate if needed.
I am pretty sure, friends were in court several times and won.
But the laws do change, it used to be legal to make seeds in greenhouses, that changed in 1998. Nowadays they say they are going to bust coffeeshops with Cannabis or Hashish over 15% THC, I mean why grind up the buds and make Hashish if you don't want it to be stronger then the weed?
I have lived here 30+ years, and it has gotten worse and worse the last 20, or at least the last 10+.
The Right conservatives want Cannabis to end, but prohibition does not work, most people here know that also.
-SamS

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
FINOLA is not an autoflower because if you keep it under 24 hours it does not flower, while autoflower varieties do.
-SamS

But it does autoflower.. maybe the original genetics didn't, but every finola seed I've planted since 2004 has autoflowered on me. Any strain that starts flowering in june at 64 degrees north has to be some sort of autoflower because we don't get dark nights before july. 15 years of adaptation in the north can make the difference I guess.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I tried some Finola under 24/0 and the males flowered after ~3-4 weeks; I didn't wait for the females though... that experiment has to wait a bit.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
In biology, no such term exists; what does, are long day and short day plants (although they should be named short night and long night plants instead) and plants without a photoperiode. The latter flower with no regard to length of neither night nor day and correspond to 'autoflowering plants'. Then, there are facultative long/short day plants which will react to day/night length but will flower sooner or later even without a circadian cycle.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
But it does autoflower.. maybe the original genetics didn't, but every finola seed I've planted since 2004 has autoflowered on me. Any strain that starts flowering in june at 64 degrees north has to be some sort of autoflower because we don't get dark nights before july. 15 years of adaptation in the north can make the difference I guess.

If you plant and keep it under 24 hours of light will the FINOLA females autoflower?
Why not?
I have grown thousands and thousands of VIR 314, VIR 315, the parents of Fin 314 (FINOLA), none ever Autoflowered, they are very very early, but not Autoflower. I have lights and darkening in my greenhouse, it is pretty easy to control photoperiod and to see if a variety is Autoflower or not.
I first worked with VIR 313 and VIR 315 because they were the earliest maturing in the entire VIR Cannabis collection.
I have grown many Autoflowering varieties, most of them like Ruderalis from Hungary and else where in E Europe, will start flowering under 24 hours of light and yet they do not ever finish unless forced by cold, etc, they just keep on making flowers day after day, insted of finishing and frosting out like a normal female Cannabis plant.
So they sprout, grow veg, start to flower while still in veg when they get old enough, keep flowering rather then finishing, until cold or something else finishes them off.
Can you keep a female clone of FINOLA alive not flowering, under 24 hours of halide or Sodium, not weak lights? I have not tried but everyone says that keeping a clone in a vegatative state is impossible with a real autoflower, no matter what they do.
Except for callus In-vitro.
If you can keep a vegatative female clone of a FINOLA then it is not autoflower, is it? Try.
Thule,
Where are the Finola seeds you say are autoflower from? Have they been reproduced by others, not the FINOLA people?

-SamS

It is as easy for you to find the laws as for me.
Do you speak Dutch? Try google and Bing to translate if needed.
I am pretty sure, friends were in court several times and won.
But the laws do change, it used to be legal to make seeds in greenhouses, that changed in 1998. ...
-SamS
@Sam: Yes, I speak dutch. I didn't find any laws or loop hole making it possible to legally grow Hemp/Cannabis for seeds. So I guess that law is no longer in action. Otherwise loads of people would grow their cannabis like this!

YES, IT WILL LOWER THC/CBD by 20% to 50%.
-SamS
@Sam: Can you provide me the information behind this statement?

Does anyone know if it is legal to grow sensimilla hemp in EU? Sam said that it might not be legal....

Only Ornamental

Veteran
The general EU legislation (which does not automatically apply to all EU countries) does not distinguish between seeded and non-seeded. All that counts is a THC level below 0.2% dry weight AND the cultivation exclusively of EU approved hemp cultivars in case of commercial farming. Commercial farming is the case, as soon as your actions imply a possible commercial use of your product; this is the case here because you grow medium scale on an approved farm). There are also country specific regulations what you're allowed to do with the different parts of that plant. According to general EU guidelines, if you grow hemp sinsemilla and harvest only hash used in a potpourri for private use (that's an arbitrary example!) you'd be fine as long as you stay below 0.2% THC. There are other regulations like using hemp for fodder (which is often prohibited no matter how low the THC etc.). To my knowledge, there are no regulations concerning the HOW and WHY but only the WHAT and WHAT FOR. But many EU regulations are like that; the fine tuning is up to each country.

You surely have an official contact person/bureau for these things. Like ministry of agriculture... Maybe THIS LINK helps?

P.S. Don't take my word for pure gold! This is only as far as I know but I may be wrong. Additionally, Dutch law may contradict EU law (especially, because the Netherlands have distinct regulations concerning cannabis for recreational purposes)!

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
@Sam: Yes, I speak dutch. I didn't find any laws or loop hole making it possible to legally grow Hemp/Cannabis for seeds. So I guess that law is no longer in action. Otherwise loads of people would grow their cannabis like this!

You can't grow outdoors in Holland for two reasons, one is the weather, try and grow cannabis outdoors unless it is a very very early variety the cold and rains will ruin the crop before it is finished.
The second reason is it is not legal, while growing 5 plants in your window porch or back yard is.

@Sam: Can you provide me the information behind this statement?

Call the Office Of Medicinal Cannabis or the Ag department here.
http://www.cannabisbureau.nl/ They will either know the laws or will forward you to someone that knows current laws. Just call them....

Does anyone know if it is legal to grow sensimilla hemp in EU? Sam said that it might not be legal....

The question is not in the EU, it is in the Netherlands?
If you find the law and read it, post it here I will try and find why outdoors you can grow if you make seeds. I am pretty sure this has not changed. Their attitude was that the only varieties that could be grown outdoors and seeds made were non-drug early hemp varieties, so they did not worry about drug varieties being grown outdoors for seeds even though legal, because the drug varieties mature to late to finish seeds outdoors in the Netherlands. Think about it have you ever heard of a Dutch seed company making seeds outoors in Holland? Why not?, because it is illegal? No, because it is almost impossible most years....

You could try asking HempFlax albert@hempflax.com http://hempflax.com/ they have been groing hemp outdoors in the Netherlands for years, maybe they have the current laws at hand, or can tell you where to look or ask. Or ask the EIHA, European Industrial Hemp Associaltion http://www.eiha.org/
Do you have a lawyer? Ask them.... Thats what I did when I was not sure.
-SamS

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The general EU legislation (which does not automatically apply to all EU countries) does not distinguish between seeded and non-seeded.

I am not sure but to recieve an EU subsidy the variety had to be seeded, so no one grew them unseeded as the subsidy was a large part of the income. Ask HempFlax they know.
-SamS

All that counts is a THC level below 0.2% dry weight AND the cultivation exclusively of EU approved hemp cultivars in case of commercial farming. Commercial farming is the case, as soon as your actions imply a possible commercial use of your product; this is the case here because you grow medium scale on an approved farm). There are also country specific regulations what you're allowed to do with the different parts of that plant. According to general EU guidelines, if you grow hemp sinsemilla and harvest only hash used in a potpourri for private use (that's an arbitrary example!) you'd be fine as long as you stay below 0.2% THC. There are other regulations like using hemp for fodder (which is often prohibited no matter how low the THC etc.). To my knowledge, there are no regulations concerning the HOW and WHY but only the WHAT and WHAT FOR. But many EU regulations are like that; the fine tuning is up to each country.

You surely have an official contact person/bureau for these things. Like ministry of agriculture... Maybe THIS LINK helps?

P.S. Don't take my word for pure gold! This is only as far as I know but I may be wrong. Additionally, Dutch law may contradict EU law (especially, because the Netherlands have distinct regulations concerning cannabis for recreational purposes)!
X

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Regulations for subsidies are sometimes really strange... but that doesn't mean one can't grow hemp without seeds.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I guess the real question is, is growing any Cannabis besides EU approved Industrial Hemp legal out doors in the Netherlands?
Is it legal legal to grow Cannabis outdoors and keep it sinsemilla, rope or dope? Maybe, if an EU approved Industrial Hemp variety.
I also know it was or still is legal to grow any variety for seeds outdoors, but they will check and see if you are diverting anything with THC.
-SamS

Regulations for subsidies are sometimes really strange... but that doesn't mean one can't grow hemp without seeds.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Yeah, they will flower at 24 hours lighting.

I'm puzzled about what you say about the VIRs not autoflowering since Finola will flower even regardless of the amount of internodes. I never cloned a straight finola but I was able to root a hybrid, which then finished flowering.

It does take 30 to 40 days for them to start flowering though. That's earlier than the eastern European ruderalis strains I've tried. The onset of flowering is also more explosive in finola.

The first batch of seeds I had were official finola seeds, I did most of the experimenting with those.

Just to clarify, the VIR strains originated in Russia, Kirov? In Finland it is commonly believed that they were from Altai.

Here's an illustration of Finola development in PDF which I find pretty cool:

http://www.finola.com/Finola_Development_2013.pdf

Kuopio lies 62 degrees north so june is in practice close to being a 24/0 light cycle.

If you plant and keep it under 24 hours of light will the FINOLA females autoflower?
Why not?
I have grown thousands and thousands of VIR 314, VIR 315, the parents of Fin 314 (FINOLA), none ever Autoflowered, they are very very early, but not Autoflower. I have lights and darkening in my greenhouse, it is pretty easy to control photoperiod and to see if a variety is Autoflower or not.
I first worked with VIR 313 and VIR 315 because they were the earliest maturing in the entire VIR Cannabis collection.
I have grown many Autoflowering varieties, most of them like Ruderalis from Hungary and else where in E Europe, will start flowering under 24 hours of light and yet they do not ever finish unless forced by cold, etc, they just keep on making flowers day after day, insted of finishing and frosting out like a normal female Cannabis plant.
So they sprout, grow veg, start to flower while still in veg when they get old enough, keep flowering rather then finishing, until cold or something else finishes them off.
Can you keep a female clone of FINOLA alive not flowering, under 24 hours of halide or Sodium, not weak lights? I have not tried but everyone says that keeping a clone in a vegatative state is impossible with a real autoflower, no matter what they do.
Except for callus In-vitro.
If you can keep a vegatative female clone of a FINOLA then it is not autoflower, is it? Try.
Thule,
Where are the Finola seeds you say are autoflower from? Have they been reproduced by others, not the FINOLA people?

-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I go them at the VIR in St Petersberg in Russia the seeds were originally collected up at
Yeah, they will flower at 24 hours lighting.

I'm puzzled about what you say about the VIRs not autoflowering since Finola will flower even regardless of the amount of internodes. I never cloned a straight finola but I was able to root a hybrid, which then finished flowering.

It does take 30 to 40 days for them to start flowering though. That's earlier than the eastern European ruderalis strains I've tried. The onset of flowering is also more explosive in finola.

The first batch of seeds I had were official finola seeds, I did most of the experimenting with those.

Just to clarify, the VIR strains originated in Russia, Kirov? In Finland it is commonly believed that they were from Altai.

I looked it up on the VIR data base and it says it was a Kirov local variety collected in 1957, But I remember them being from up closer to the artic circle somewhere. I can check my original VIR catalogue with all the accession Data, I need to look for it.

I wonder if Finola will finish flowering indoors under 24 hours lights?
If it does then maybe it should be called a Autoflower, if it does not then, as I said it is not autoflower. Autoflowers do keep on making new flowers and flowering, until the cold stops and kills them.
I have grown many of them, not hybrids, the Ruderalis varieties with no hybridization.
All the best,
-SamS

Here's an illustration of Finola development in PDF which I find pretty cool:

http://www.finola.com/Finola_Development_2013.pdf

Kuopio lies 62 degrees north so june is in practice close to being a 24/0 light cycle.