What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

alternative to grow rocks?

what can i use instead of grow rocks for hydro? i heard lava rocks work good but went to a few local stores and they didnt carry that stuff yet. so can i use like those aquarium marble things or any different kinds of rocks?

I've heard of people using marbles. I think anything like that would work provided it could be kept sterile and even temped.

G

I'd hold out for lava. I've been using it for a few years now, wont go back to anything else. When you see how roots bore into it, you'll understand. Cinderstones was a stone refered to me by hurtback for his bio system.

What ever you find, clean it, soak it, check it for ph stability, for a couple of days. Funny how they can drift, or switch your ph.

Just my .02

PS, black lava is the best, even better, if it's piled outside, it's probably more washed. Good luck

G

Walmart in the grill section they have it. Lowes in the heater section they have it. Marbles won't hold any air or moisture.
You could use a perlite/ vermiculite mix, until you can find lava rock.

found lava rocks

found lava rocks

went to home depot on my way to work today and they had bags of lava rock by the grills and shit. washed and soaked them for a few hours and got my plants into my new hydro setup. :) ill let you know if it ends up working..

i had to take 2 plants from my soil grow and throw them in a quick hydro setup. i didnt think id have a 100% germination rate (BOG's genetics rule) so i ended up with more plants than i can handle in soil/pots right now lol

btw..this is my first attempt at any hydro growing. there are 2 in like a 12gal rubbermaid bin. should be interesting!

thanks everyone.

Diggity-

I'm into my first hydro too. There's definitely a learning curve. Even with the mistakes so far, the results will be tremendous.

good luck