What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
These things look different, its finer stuff inside the puck and looks like a mix of fine pete and some other fine stuff, I'll go back and read the package more lol.

Awesome thread man! I am planning on using this method soon on my current grow. What if i use rockwool cubes with your method? Have you had any experience with rockwool cubes? I have like 40 rockwool cubes sitting around, and would like to use those if possible. I'm very short on cash after spending over $1000 on new equipment. Plus i'd have to pay for shipping, because there are no hydro stores around here or places that carry the rapid rooters.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SweetIndica2 said:
Awesome thread man! I am planning on using this method soon on my current grow. What if i use rockwool cubes with your method? Have you had any experience with rockwool cubes? I have like 40 rockwool cubes sitting around, and would like to use those if possible. I'm very short on cash after spending over $1000 on new equipment. Plus i'd have to pay for shipping, because there are no hydro stores around here or places that carry the rapid rooters.

I have never used the rockwool cubes before. I would not be able to tell you much about them. The RR are 7.99 for 50, and I know the feeling of not being able to get them. I have to drive 70 miles one way to get them.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The batch of clones have had a week to get settled in and have now started vegetative growth. They are about ready for a transplant, but I am going to keep them in these cups for another week or so because of crowding issues. This entire batch is happy and all are doing well.

S

suckerrepellent

clear cups

clear cups

let me just say that is fing brilliant! it will be sooo much easier to monitor when i need to transplant now! thanks. those are the kinds of tips this site is great for.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is much easier not to have to dump the plant out of the cup everytime you want to check root growth. I started with the clear cups after I accidently broke a plant checking the roots.

blacklb937

This site is amazing. ok iv had about 50/50 rate.. i use both soil methods and fish bubbler in tupawar.. cheap.. i also have explored another cheap med.. in walmart they have a green wetfoam for floral arangements...s gota keep water in the tray with them thou...i like my sponges thou great cheap med and i can see the vigor of the roots shooting out...imo.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you actually tried the wetfoam yet? I suppose it may work, but I wouldn't advise that route.

BudZad7

:wave: Hi All ! Nice Info....The COOL way to rooting new cuttings is the
RAIN FOREST by GH check it out no HEAT at all ! :wave: Peace!

Deft

Veteran
Just took my first clone, took it a day or so within when the plant showed sex on top, it was taken from the bottom. I have it under a single 40w bulb about 1/2 meter away so its not going to loose much water, its also under a humidity dome and looks content a day or so after taking it. Used antifungal stuff and moist potting soil and its under 24/0 light. Sound about right for sucess?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like you are in the right direction my friend. Just remember to keep the soil no more than damp. The light is good and keep it around 75. Keep us posted....

Deft

Veteran
Well like I said it wasnt wilted today so I think it will be ok if the hormone works.

Deft

Veteran
So how long does it take clones to root in soil? How will I be able to tell its fully rooted and established?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depending on the strain, they should root in 10 to 21 days. Make sure you mist the inside of the dome when it gets dry and it wont hurt to lightly mist the plant either. Be sure not to keep the soil any more than damp though.....

When a clone roots, normally the leaves will start to lift upward. A lot of times you will notice yellow tips on the leaves.

Stinkymutt

Good info

Good info

Nice read JJ. thank you! Do you use a heat mat at all? If not what temp do you like to try to keep the RR at? I bought an EZ cloner last year. It works ok but I wouldnt say it was worth the extra money over any other method. It is usually cool when its time for me to start clones So I have to use an aquarium heater in the bottom of cloner to keep solution warm wich uses even more power.
Peace
Mutt

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't use a heating pad because the cabinet that I keep them in is small and the 2 cfl's keep it warm enough. I try to keep them about 75 degrees.

Last edited:

Deft

Veteran
Yea the leaves look healthy today but are turned down a little at the edges like basil leaves. I could add a heat mat as I have a few laying around, should I do that? The soil is perfect right now with the large dome.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you have a meat thermometer put it inside the dome and see what the temps are. Be careful not to get it to warm. 75 or a little above has always worked good for me...But if it is to cool I would warm it up....

Deft

Veteran
Yea its pretty cool where it is but its a very very constant temp year round. I've got a spare little thermomiter that I'll stick inside the dome tomorrow.

How much should I water it? It looked a little dry today so I gave it a few ounces of water.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No more than damp is sufficient. If you keep the inside of the dome misted it shouldn't dry out very quickly.....