What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Small Scale what method would you use?

Levitationofme

I have a few jars of popcorn sitting around. After checking out this thread I figured I would ask here how you guys would gear up in my situation. It's my first grow so i'm new to this

I have small grow, a few plants. I am not sure which method is best. I would say just a couple oz. of Popcorn/trim

I don't mind buying something of high quality if i'm going to use it, but wouldn't mind a DIY either. It looked like overkill to get a set of bags for 5 gallon bucket. But I don't know. I have seen smaller bags for sale but I don't know about quality or if its too small.

The Gravity Method with a funnel and screen looked like something I could pull off.

I don't really have a strong opinion yet. But I'm willing to get one LOL
:ying:

Ollie

Veteran
I would get a four bag 5g kit (Bubblebag LITES) and work it from there.

Then You can decide if You want to proceed the path and build up Your quiver.

If You know that Your not going to wash much (neither in the future), a 1g kit can be a option, but the price difference from 1g to 5g is small, but the versatility of a 5g kit is much higher. However the 1g works wonders for quick and small batches .. So the decisions should be based upon that imvho.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I do the funnel method, blend up frozen buds and trim in a food processer.

Three screens, first is 180u, then 140u, final 74u.

Here is some, wet, from 40g of well cured buds and trim:

picture.php

After it dries out a little I break it up finish drying a few days, and have good product.

I do the funnel method, blend up frozen buds and trim in a food processer.

Three screens, first is 180u, then 140u, final 74u.

Here is some, wet, from 40g of well cured buds and trim:

View Image

After it dries out a little I break it up finish drying a few days, and have good product.

With that method do you get small chunks of plant material in your hash? The picture looks good, just can't see it super close. First time I have heard of doing it this way. :)

HeriMarry

I have been small scale forever, I have done bubble bags an the Tumble Now. I got better results withe the Tumble Now an it was around 90% easier. My only complaint is that the Tumble Now creates static electricity an attracts pet hair, if you have one.

RRResin

I have been small scale forever, I have done bubble bags an the Tumble Now. I got better results withe the Tumble Now an it was around 90% easier. My only complaint is that the Tumble Now creates static electricity an attracts pet hair, if you have one.

I've got a dog and a Tumble Now too......but I haven't experienced the TN attracting dog hairs, how is this possible? Bubbleman's Tumble Now is made from Maple veneered plywood, solid Maple, the tumbler mesh is S/S, there's no plastic parts apart from the underneath flat screen on the pull out drawer that is synthetic mesh, so it's highly likely the dog hairs are attached to the bud when it is growing &/or drying and the dog hairs and the resin end up together after sifting.

Maybe try to grow, trim and dry your buds in a room that the dog is not allowed in (and vacuum in there frequently too) and also make sure that the buds have some type of cover suspended over them when drying so floating hairs in the air do not get stuck in the buds? I do this with trays made from large cardboard boxes that have been cut into a box and a lid, the lid is suspended above the box or the lid and box are rough cut so air can get in and most of the light,dust and hairs cannot

Boxfarm

Bubble bags

Bubble bags

I bought a set of the one gallon bubble bags on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/BUBBLEBAGDUD...8&qid=1493557479&sr=8-11&keywords=bubble+bags

and a one gallon bucket:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VBC4UM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will be my time making hash but how could you go wrong for $27? Reviews are all 4.5 stars. I am planning on doing a dry ice extraction and and running it all through a small DIY rosin press i made. Sounds like this set up would be perfect for you.

HeriMarry

I've got a dog and a Tumble Now too......but I haven't experienced the TN attracting dog hairs, how is this possible? Bubbleman's Tumble Now is made from Maple veneered plywood, solid Maple, the tumbler mesh is S/S, there's no plastic parts apart from the underneath flat screen on the pull out drawer that is synthetic mesh, so it's highly likely the dog hairs are attached to the bud when it is growing &/or drying and the dog hairs and the resin end up together after sifting.

Maybe try to grow, trim and dry your buds in a room that the dog is not allowed in (and vacuum in there frequently too) and also make sure that the buds have some type of cover suspended over them when drying so floating hairs in the air do not get stuck in the buds? I do this with trays made from large cardboard boxes that have been cut into a box and a lid, the lid is suspended above the box or the lid and box are rough cut so air can get in and most of the light,dust and hairs cannot

I have 4 maine Coon cats an I vacuum twice a day, I try to brush the cats excess hair off everyday. What I do is after I tumble I run the sift through the bubble bags(six bag set) an the first bag gets all the hair an the remaining bags refine the sift more.

Thanks for the advice on the pet hair, I will give it a shot.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I'm surprised nobody has suggested rosin. I find that it works quite well on a small scale. Make yourself a HMK rosin press for around $50, it's great for pressing less than an ounce. If I have 1-2 oz I will use my I gal bubble bags. Dry sift is best done with larger quantities as it yields poor, but does give the best quality overall IMO. As a micro grower, the rosin press is what I use most.

Dropped Cat

Veteran
I bought a set of the one gallon bubble bags on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/BUBBLEBAGDUD...8&qid=1493557479&sr=8-11&keywords=bubble+bags

and a one gallon bucket:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VBC4UM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will be my time making hash but how could you go wrong for $27? Reviews are all 4.5 stars. I am planning on doing a dry ice extraction and and running it all through a small DIY rosin press i made. Sounds like this set up would be perfect for you.

That is a well timed post, a one gallon set of bags is just
the ticket for smaller ice water batches.

Also, do you have any pics of the rosin press you built,
that would be great.

Dropped Cat

Veteran
With that method do you get small chunks of plant material in your hash? The picture looks good, just can't see it super close. First time I have heard of doing it this way. :)

This method leaves little to none contaminants.

Full melty goodness.

I'll post some macros later this week when I get back.

Boxfarm

That is a well timed post, a one gallon set of bags is just
the ticket for smaller ice water batches.

Also, do you have any pics of the rosin press you built,
that would be great.

I don't have pictures ATM, but here is a link to the video I got the idea from. I just ran about an ounce and a half of fresh frozen trim and popcorn through a dry ice extraction. I ended up with 14 grams of kief. I've pressed about a third of that into a marble sized chunk of rosin. The clamp works pretty well aside from me electrocuting myself a couple of times! The hair straightener I used has a digital display and that was hard to work around. It's not perfect but it works.