What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

fresh vs fresh frozen material for water hash

mazar_man

hey all, just getting back into the hashmaking game after a few year hiatus and trying to get caught up on the techs. Was a very early adopter of fresh frozen and made smany kill batches using it but was recently watching Frenchy Cannoli's video where he uses fresh material and much of what he said makes some sense to me. If I summarize correctly benefits of fresh (non frozen material)

-leaf material more pliable so less breakage (not a giant concern imo)
-less rupturing/leakage of gland heads from freezing (seems likely but gotta say never noticed any ruptured heads looking at my fresh frozen under scope)

In the past I always saw fresh frozen as a great way to minimize water soluble terpene loss assuming it would be less likely to leach through the trichome head membrane when frozen but thought frenchy brought up a good alternative theory. Any thoughts or opinions?

Im by no means an expert but I seemed to get better results by freezing...but I've never made full melt just hang and scrape...very nice

mazar_man

I get full melt every time with fresh frozen and the strain I run... Minimizing terpene loss is my main interest.

Easy7

Veteran
Terp loss will happen so try a blend with sift. There used to be a cowboy on the forums, I think he pressed 70% bubble with 30% sift.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You missed his main point.

Water soluble non resinous plant compounds. Freezing (freezer freezing) is a slow process, large crystals form and burst cell walls/organelles. A blast freezer or more advanced technique may minimize this but fresh chilled seems simpler/cheaper.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Fresh frozen material doesn't yield quite as well as dry frozen material, but it does minimize terp loss. not sure if freezing the fresh material is worse then using it fresh, but i tend to freeze it to keep it fresh till i'm ready to do a bubble run. although recently i been using dry cured material, i just let it re hydrate for 5 minutes before starting the machine. in my experience the way you handle the bubble after it collects on the screen is just as important as the way you make it.

Slipnot

i don't know about, this fresh chilled vs completely frozen material. Or even dry iced your going to receive as much as the strain has plain n simple.
I have done chilled in 5 gallon and returns were small and also done frozen 5 gallon washes and had more returns ..
As for quality i found that fresh chilled gave me the light color dry iced look it was not as sticky but more crumbly compared to Frozen for a week product that cam out like Gorrilla glue :) sticky gum like , something like them old days 30 years ago Gold labeled Black hash.
That is what i just observed i prefer trimming buds and pending on amount of trimming 4 - 10 20 pounds worth sure the hell was not about to make hash next day usually following week i would because again it takes fucking hrs to make

What is the real goal when making ice hash ??? having water and product as cold to freezing as possible having frozen product just helps in that process ..
All i know is one black garbage bag gave me 3/4 pounds of nice hash that i got 20 bucks a gram for people went nuts over it