What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best way to crush non-dried buds for water extraction

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Ahoy laddies

What is your favorite method of crushing fresh buds prior to running a water extraction?

I want to avoid a presoak in water and I want to avoid drying the buds at any stage - what would be the best way to expose the trichomes from inside the buds?

Thanks
-Fonzee

Ollie

Veteran
Seems like the "natural" way of FF is the path Your gonna stay on.

Once cut, freeze and then prior/while loading the work bag, it breaks with the help of the freeze.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Then what is the optimal freezing temperature to break the bud by?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I always did 2 runs ..the first with uncrushed whole small buds....gives the best product...I don't know of a best way to crush em up....bump....yeehaw

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I always did 2 runs ..the first with uncrushed whole small buds....gives the best product...I don't know of a best way to crush em up....bump....yeehaw
Should have clarified I'm looking to work with fairly big buds, not popcorn, larf or small nugs.

trees123

I am going to turn about 10 oz of good, dried buds into ice water hash. I want to get the highest possible yield. My plan is to spread the buds out on a cardboard box lid in the freezer for a few hours and then stir for 20 min with a spoon. Then I will dry the buds out. Then I will crush the buds and freeze for a few hours and then stir roughly for 25 min.
Do you all think this will work? What would you do differently?

Easy7

Veteran
Painstakingly snip apart every bract and calyx at the joints. That's the best but is it worth the labor when so may simply use solvents.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you will have to de stem the nugs very well, break the colas right down to the individual nugs as much as possible. then freez and run, the first run will cause everything to break down even smaller so you can probably just go right ahead and do the second run, for the third run i'd just re freeze and the break anything up thats still too big and go for the third run, then if the quality of 3 was still good you just keep doing single bag runs till the results are no longer worth collecting. even the greenish 5th run can be used for medical applications or for edibles. man that is gonna be some shit hot ice cold bubble hashish :bongsmi:

some people actually grind the buds up right from the start for bubble hash, lot of work to prep though, but probably need less runs in the washing machine (ice water) to get everything worth while off the material that way.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I find it that after 10-15 minutes of water suspension the water becomes green and I get a lot of green slime in my hash. Never thought about re-freezing because of that.
Will give it a try nontheless tho.

Slipnot

Have always , froze my fresh cut trimmings before making hash i never worried about crumbling , or crushing.
Trim plants and use sugar leafs and larf buds that i placed right from trim to garbage bag and freezer for week or so usually

Attachments

• gallery_11738_4816_36146.jpg
    gallery_11738_4816_36146.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 14
  • gallery_11738_4816_2375266 (1).jpg
    gallery_11738_4816_2375266 (1).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 17

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
wow the water gets green so fast?

did you take out all fan leaves with no trichs?

my water is often yellow or brown but it doesn't get green, till maybe 4th run. you should not mix so hard that the leaves get destroyed, else all the trichome juice will flood into the water and of course end up mixed in to the hash.

you need a gentle stirring, more important is that the water is thick with ice so you have a hard time actually stirring the drum of ice water. when that cold it doesn't take much movement to break the heads off. :)

with my wash machine i let it run for 10 mins the first run and then i already pump the water through the set of bubble bags with a drum to catch the water so i can dump it right back in the machine and get to the next run. my water smells totally hashy at the end. so i can only imagine you are breaking the trim up instead of letting the heads break off the trim. no mixers or paint stirrer should be used imo, too rough for those really best results. other thing can reduce quality, never press the hash when it's still wet, not at all.

Slipnot

I use a 1" drill in 55 gallon and paint stirrer in bubble bags got tired of 5 gallon and few grams now i can make 3/4 pound of hash in 8 hrs 2 runs and 12 bags of ice usually i will freeze all the buds up one more time before running it all the 3rd time after that she is in compost bin :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Generally agree with freezing until brittle.

Washing trichomes with a sprayer forces out a lot of contaminate.

The last run was fresh chilled and produced lime green water. Now that is a pain in the ass to process. All runs looked similar after a good spray.

Preliminary observations though. Need a dry and cure, but it smells as pure as the flower so far.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I use a 1" drill in 55 gallon and paint stirrer in bubble bags got tired of 5 gallon and few grams now i can make 3/4 pound of hash in 8 hrs 2 runs and 12 bags of ice usually i will freeze all the buds up one more time before running it all the 3rd time after that she is in compost bin :)

maybe consider a washing machine or 3, you'll never look back, it not only washes the product gently, but it also cuts right down on the time that the hash is submerged losing terps into the water. just make sure you can program it for minutes of running time.

Slipnot

maybe consider a washing machine or 3, you'll never look back, it not only washes the product gently, but it also cuts right down on the time that the hash is submerged losing terps into the water. just make sure you can program it for minutes of running time.

I am pretty happy with my products so far buddy has tumbler for making Kief but other then that i have been more into making Dabs then hash for some time here is
Cherry pie i certainly perfer this over hash and hash over actual weed

but as of late i want to try to make some Thai stick for Xmass stocking presents for friends :) figure come harvest time half pound should do the trick

This year its Purple train wreck Thai stick with cherry pie wax guessing 7 gram joints makes a perfect stocking stuff ' er :biggrin:

Attachments

• gallery_11738_4908_140128.jpg
    gallery_11738_4908_140128.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 14