What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

full melt dry sift tutorial/discussion

mofeta

Veteran
I'll have to try this again today but last night it worked for shit.

Are you using a nylon screen in an aluminum frame, sitting on a piece of cardboard, like in the video? Do you manipulate the resin on the screen with a plastic brush?

Are you using the same kind of slick paperboard to wrap the parchment paper on?

I haven't tried it yet, and won't until the next time I am working with resin. I have done other things that relied on electrostatic charges before though, and the details I mentioned above seem trivial, but they are not. The frame is not grounded. He mainly touches it with a non-conductive plastic brush (excellent electron transferral device, think of the combs or brushes in things like Wilmhurst and Van de Graaff generators, or the classic lab demonstrations with glass rods, amber etc being rubbed with cloth, wool, feathers etc), and a number of other things.

You can find lists of common materials and their propensity to gather a charge, and whether it is + or -.

Consideration of air humidity and temp are paramount when working with electrostatic phenomena.

mofeta

Veteran
ok so i took a couple closeups and the results turned out very nice... while there are a couple stalks in there for the most part it is pure.

http://www.pictureshack.us/images/82701_DSCN0867.JPG

http://www.pictureshack.us/images/35952_DSCN0869.JPG

and as far as the melt shots go i cant find my titanium screen and i dont really know how else i would capture such a shot .. i can say it melts very very well and whats left on your dabber after a dab looks like honey

Wow! Brilliant success.

What experiments are you planning to investigate your procedure? If you figure out exactly what is going on, you can refine it.

It looks like it would be easy to automate. An obvious thing would be to make a wheel with "paddles" made of the card with parch on it. You would motorize it and let the edge of the paddles come in contact with the keif pile/screen.

A better way would be a belt set up. You would make a loop of parch and have a card at one end, and a roller and a scraper/brush at theother end. You would have the card end go against the keif/screen, and the resin would be picked up and travel on the parch belt to the other end where the scraper/brush would make it come off into a container. The now clean parch would then head to the other end to pick up more.

I have a lot of other preliminary ideas, but they would hinge on gathering some data on your method.

Once again, great work! You are on your way to being Resin Cleaning King of the World! I hope you really follow up on this, it could be the biggest thing in the Cannabis world in quite some time.

Also kudos on the impeccably good form with your completely transparent, open source minded reveal on this tek. Karma will be good to you.

mofeta

EsterEssence

Veteran
Great work... Ok rubbing the kief with paddles might work, how do you feed the correct amount of keif to the surface/ screen for the paddle. Is there enough static without the "touch"...

T

tropicannayeah

There's been 3 innovative advances in hash-making in the past few years that have debuted on Icmag.

1) Rosin, solventless honey oil (pressed hash is rubbed on a hot surface like a metal bowl with a spoon and the residue left on the bowl is similar to the end result from petrochemical extractions)
2) DSW's dry sift method for sifting trim.
3) Time2shine's dry sifting method (used to clean up already dry sifted resin)

and

4) Sam's dry sifting method (used to clean up dry sifted resin) - hopefully coming soon. I'm not holding my breath for Sam to give it up, but sooner or later this method will be shared.

Last edited:
You can use nugs with my tek.. but it takes a great deal of 'drying' to get them ready to run.

I think dry sifting as a 'whole' is still in the infancy.. but it's about to blow up big time in the next couple years..

Glad to be here contributing.

Cheers all.

mofeta

Veteran
Or instead of a belt, you could use a rotating drum covered with parchment paper, with a scraper. You mentioned a paper towel tube before, I'm thinking more oatmeal container size. You would put an axle, a crank at one end, you would mount a scraper container (kinda like a trough with a sharp edge) with elastic (rubber bands or springs or something) that would hold the scraper trough up against the drum to collect the clean resin.

We would have to know whether the sharp angle on the paper caused by the card is important or not. You could find this out real quick with your paper towel tube idea.

mofeta

Veteran
I would also be real interested in seeing if the flat side of the card/parchment would pick up well too. Like if you laid it flat on the resin pile and rubbed it.

T

tropicannayeah

mofeta...while a parchment paper covered rotating drum could work, I feel that it would not work efficiently as it would need cleaning or replacing every ten minutes and probably would not screed the resin very well over the mesh as the drum is too blunt, perhaps if the parchment was on a roll and is fed slowly over the blade as it is moved? ...

....or perhaps another way would be workable if we tried to replicate Time2shine's hand action with a mechanical arm (with an attached "blade" or card with parchment paper that is fed over it and is slowly moved or moved in small increments after each arm movement) to screed the resin to and fro over the 200+ lines per inch Mesh. I think for the arm to work well (and not have the resin pool up in front of the parchment covered "blade") would be to have the edges of the mesh curved upwards ..another way would be to have a slightly bowl shaped mesh (with a corresponding curved blade). Another way would be to make the arm lift slightly as it comes to the end and then moved down to the right level of tension on the mesh just when it makes each return sweep of the arm. The blade could be way longer than Time2share's card used in the video too..30 ~ 60 cm and the mesh under it could be 1 or 2 meters long.

Extra arms could be used to make sure the resin is not pooling at the edges, but unless covered in parchment, would just be coated in squashed resin heads

another way would be to not make the arm move only back and forth and instead the arm could move back and forth, diagonally and sideways (thus replicating Time2share's hand movement) so pooling doesn't happen.

It's actually pretty basic...you need a moving arm (like a light mover) and a device to pull the parchment paper over the blade (like used in a fax or laminating machine) and several tensioners...easy-peasy for some one who does this for a living. I don't do this for a living but I've seen many manufacturing machines produced from a need for improvement/automation to seeing the machine on the production line and everything inbetween, it's a fascinating process.

Last edited:

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Electrostatic Drum Separators. They are used in all types of industries.

Static electricity would clean up whole piles of dry sift by the looks of Time2shines video. Props on the find.

T

tropicannayeah

I think dry sifting as a 'whole' is still in the infancy.. but it's about to blow up big time in the next couple years..

I hope so too DSW.

Sam is right, an affordable automated machine that produces 90+% dry sift purity is the what the market needs right now...a fully automated machine might cost too much initially, but even a semi-automated machine would be successful

EsterEssence

Veteran
Think about tumbling the nugs to get the kief to clean, a conveyer belt with paddles passing over it, statically collecting the heads, how do you clean the paddles off? A brush system? I like what you guys are doing, leaps and bounds. Where does the static come from, what temp are we talking where the machine is?

T

tropicannayeah

Time2shine

I think I noticed on the video that you changed the parchment paper for a new piece in the middle of processing the resin. Why?

Is fresher, new, crisper parchment more efficient or can the same piece be used over and over again?

Questions, questions..lol,

big thanks, Tropicannayeah

hey guys ..thanks for the kinda words im glad everyone is here to contribute ...were going to have this thing licked in no time.. i have a feeling that after we get some people experimenting with this there will be a way of doing it that is so quick and easy that a machine wont be necessary...more science then appliance if you will, but with that being said im all for prototypes and anyone who wants to make one i highly encourage... all sorts of badass Rube Goldberg dry sifting contraptions are coming to mind. har har

"I would also be real interested in seeing if the flat side of the card/parchment would pick up well too. Like if you laid it flat on the resin pile and rubbed it." me to ..it might.. but so far i found the resin builds up where its not coming in contact with the screen..

another thing i noticed was that it picks up alot more if you fluff up your pile every little while because alot of the heads will settle into the screen and get covered with stalks and hairs and shit as its gets spread out over the screen

the reason i changed parchment in the video was just because it more or less kicks up a rooster tail of sift on the side of that your carding away from.. so your hands and the paper get gummed up.

anyways... keep the input comin and lets see those heads boys!

"Also kudos on the impeccably good form with your completely transparent, open source minded reveal on this tek. Karma will be good to you." thanks you for the compliments it seems only right to share.

mofeta

Veteran
...so far i found the resin builds up where its not coming in contact with the screen..

Close up video of the action? Right down where the card/parchment is interacting with the resin?

If you post a video of a close up that shows the heads leaping up onto the parchment, you will have completed your win of "Dry Sift". I think you already have won, actually, but I would like to see the video anyway.

Thanks again

I hope others can replicate it. I couldn't. Mine worked with many variables involved on peoples first tries.. let's hope for the same.

I guess we wait :)

Daub Marley

I'm going to try and replicate this tomorrow. I'm going to use a one 50 micron yellow nylon screen, a cheap toothbrush for sweeping, and the parchment wrapped around a card to scrape with. Does that look like it should work? Did I miss anything or is anything wrong?

I'm going to try and replicate this tomorrow. I'm going to use a one 50 micron yellow nylon screen, a cheap toothbrush for sweeping, and the parchment wrapped around a card to scrape with. Does that look like it should work? Did I miss anything or is anything wrong?

Damn near precisely what I did mate.

Let's hope you fair better.