What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shaggy's Guide to Hormones used in Cannabis

shaggyballs

Veteran
Dammit OO !
I think you overshadowed my whole thread in 1 post!

No really ....thank you so much for your valuable contribution!

Still taking it all in......small brain = slow process!
Thank you again.
shag

Peton

Such a fantastic thread! I have just read the first page, and i had a very good read. I studied this stuff at university years ago, and it kind of fires it all up into a living thing! Thanks!

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hey Shag and all other hormone addicts,

Say, do you have by any chance some advice regarding speeding up the re-vegging process using PGRs?
The reason is that I have two plants outside, buds harvested 3 weeks ago, which haven't moved the tiniest bit since. In addition, the weather during that time was bad, really bad, and the starting 15/9 day/night interval in the beginning is now at ~14.5/9.5 and heading towards 14/10 in 10 day hitting the critical night length for flower induction. If I could use a little trick to avoid having to take them inside, that'll be great.

Thanks in advance!

shaggyballs

Veteran
:wallbash: Damn I already responded and I must have deleted it?????:wallbash:

Summary

I don't have any tricks up my sleeve for this one.:dunno:
Have you thought about supplemental lighting?
A neighbors porch light kept a friends plant from going into flower at it's natural time.
I don't think it ever flowered!...even after the snow was flyin'.

Anyone else have a suggestion???
shag

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Yea, I know that feeling. The longer it takes to write a post, the higher the chances you loose it :comfort: .

I'm sooo happy the freaggin street light's broken! Had the light all over my plants and the rest of the house (no curtains on the skylight)... the plants flowered well nonetheless, though sleeping's not that easy ;( . Anyway, can't and won't use a light outdoors, too suspicious; besides, it's raining like Niagara falls since end of June -> + electricity = *brzzzzllllllzzzzzzapppp*...

Only Ornamental

Veteran
tria+mag foliar

lowga3+highbap foliar

nitro-5 2-25ppm range
Thanks.
Lucky for me, I can guess the abbreviations :D .
My plants already have triacontanol in the soil and get magnesium foliar and in the water.
I have neither gibberellins nor cytokinins (hopefully not for long, though :) ).
I will NEVER use nitrophenolates, no matter how much sodium o-/p-nitrophenolate and sodium 5-nitroguaiacolate the Chinese put on their crop, on my plants! That stuff is too dangerous especially when not fully metabolised at harvest time and then gets smoked. :puke::puke:Apart from that, I don't see any reason why that crap could help in the re-vegging process.

mrrangz

why is nitro-5 dangerous? its activity dosent last that long and application is suggested every 3 days. As far as its effects its very similar to tria just less stretch and easier to mix vs the poly20 tria requires. I have also noticed the EPA exempt this substance.

There isint enough info on nitro-5. i would like to hear and maybe u can explain or cite some references regarding its dangerous that im not aware of.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
First of all, what do you define as 'nitro-5'? Quite often, nitroaromates used as PGRs come as mixtures like in case of Atonik sodium p-nitrophenolate (aka 4-nitrophenol sodium salt), sodium o-nitrophenolate (aka 2-nitrophenol sodium salt also wrongly called sodium 5-nitrophenolate), and sodium 5-nitroguaiacolate (aka 2-methoxy-5-nitrophenol sodium salt).
Now, there's a reason why there are as good as no nitroaromates as drugs (like medicine) on the market. It's roughly only 5 in all western countries. Usually, when a pharmaceutical company finds a hit molecule (a possible new scaffold for a new drug) containing a nitroaromate it gets kicked out immediately, no questions asked. That's because most show high hepatotoxicity (toxic for the liver) and other adverse effects linked to the nitro group. Also, said 5 molecules on the marked show diverse strong side effects which can partially be linked to the nitroaromate. In case of the constituents of Atonik, only 2-nitrophenol has a comparatively low toxicity...
Furthermore, burning or smoking nitroaromates result in highly toxic, mutagenic, carcinogenic, and teratogenic degradation products.
And last but not least, the advantage of those nitrophenols is controversial and the mode of action unknown. One effect results from indirect pest control (which doesn't serve much in indoor cannabis cultures) mainly in late summer, early fall. It doesn't do anything in several species whereas in others like chilli and paprika only leads to bigger and heavier fruits. In other plants it causes an increase in proteins (Yummy, smoking proteins. I love a harsh smoke!) whereas the effect on growth, fibre content, and other things, shows high deviations from year to year (from slightly positive to slightly negative effects), is often not different from the control, or differs by roughly insignificant 5%.

Sure, these compounds degrade fast outdoors and are allegedly quickly metabolised by the plants. But indoors? Nobody ever investigated that... Now tell me why I should use something dangerously to handle (dust and spray are toxic!), which is more often than without benefit, and risk my health along the way?

shaggyballs

Veteran
A site selling this product had the following information.

I think personally I will be taking the advice of OO
He seems to possess the knowledge to make a well informed decision on the use of these products.
And he has stated the dangers from the combustion of these products, I feel his level of knowledge on the subject is probably the most accurate combustion information to be found on this product anywhere!

This guy will not just spew nonsense....."you can take that to the bank" (Barretta)TV show song

Atonik Safety: In a field investigation into tomato & cotton post-harvest residues, Atonik was found to be below detectable limits. The main nitro’s in Atonik are Sodium 5-nitroguaiacolate, Sodium ortho-nitrophenolate and Sodium para-nitrophenolate. These active ingredients are found naturally in plants, and produce effects related to natural plant chemistry making their use very safe, as the Environmental Protection Agency agrees: “These nitrophenolates occur naturally in plants, where they act as growth regulators. When used as growth enhancers, these substances do not present any known risks to humans or the environment. …No adverse effects to humans are expected from use of pesticide products containing these nitrophenolates. First, plants rapidly convert these nitrophenolates to other harmless natural substances. Second, the tiny amounts applied to crops do not affect the exposure of people who eat the treated crops. Used only in tiny amounts, the active ingredients are rapidly converted to harmless other natural substances.”-EPA Moving on to mammalian biology, in one rat study, Atonik supplied in drinking water for 60 days showed virtually no toxicity effects. In a similar study, Atonik supplied to piglets in their feed showed no toxic effects yet boosted their growth rates.

Don't do it!
from the song LOL

Last edited:

mrrangz

OO, 5-nitroguaiacolate to be exact. any references to this substance u might posses or know of?

not to dismiss what you said , but i enjoy going to references/citations. And a quick search on Google will display no useful information on 5-nitroguaiacolate

Only Ornamental

Veteran
...any references to this substance u might posses or know of?

... but i enjoy going to references/citations. And a quick search on Google will display no useful information on 5-nitroguaiacolate
Had I known this earlier I'd saved the links for you.
Instead of Google, try ScienceDirect and PubMed. And SciFinder if you happen to have a university account.
True, there are less publications about 5-nitroguaiacol than o-nitrophenol. Also, try the different names of the free XYphenol as well as the sodium XYphenolate as well as trade names (i.e. Chaperone, Atonik) ;) .

BigBozat

@shaggyballs -

Way back, early in this thread, under your first post in re: Auxins, you wrote:

"Apical dominance seems to result from the downward transport of auxin produced in the apical meristem."

... which is certainly the long-held consensus view of apical dominance.

However, recent research seems to throw the auxin-transport-as-explanation-for-apical-dominance story aside, e.g.:
Sugar demand, not auxin, is the initial regulator of apical dominance
http://www.pnas.org/content/111/16/6092.abstract

(Sorry, don't have the full text in hand... but, IIRC, this was posted on another thread in this Cannabis Botany & Adv Growing Science forum, which I think you checked in on)

Latest posts

Latest posts