What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

krusty Help

krusty

grrenja - mad luv to yas dewd it seems like you are putting alot of effort into this and hats off n all that butter you up crap...

but you are killing yer fucking odds hugely by fucking arround with the medium.....

LAVA ROCK

where in hell did you get this perlite/coir idea from???

right there you are killing off the plants

the whole idea of the krusty buckets is that once the roots hit the bottom of the bucckets (say about 2nd week of bud) you basically keep the feed lines so that NONE of the top root structure gets any nutrients...from your picture those plants are fairly big yet i see wetness on the top...that is no good

i dont know how many times i have stressd to you guys to use lava rock...not expanded clay....especially not the mixture your ussing....you need LARGE lava rock to allow the nutrients to simply drip down and TONNES of air....you use ver/perlite to pre grow/clone.....this way it is easy to wash off most of the medium when you go to stick the clones/pre grown plants INTO the lava rock medium

peace

krusty

krusty

greenja i noticed yer root mass pix on way out...

you got discoloration thingy happening...

i noticed yer whtie buckets...with the extreme lighting we use that white bucket is alike a glass window to your roots...

you need to use black buckets...and then if you worry about heat the black may absorb you simply skirt the buckets with white poly:)

peace

krusty

Greenja

Thanks alot for the compliment Krusty! I'm the type of person who reaches for the best always (or I try to at least) and rarely give up on something....sometimes that's a curse too lol

1. I've since insul the bottom buckets: http://www.overgrow.com/edge/gallery.php?userid=25060&s=&action=view&in=recovery.jpg
And yest, even made one last white poly to cover top and bottom buckets...just no pic yet. But either way, the last grow's bottom buckets were white originally. Then I painted them black to block out light, and then another white paint for reflection....that's the way it was the entire last grow...so the roots were NOT getting any light last grow...just no insulation.
So...I figured my roots were discolored b/c of the color of the GH nuts? Wasnt sure though...esp. after seeing mrb roots

2. I've been growing tree sized plants for 3yrs...and used the same medium 'my mentor' was using. But I screwed up and only used horizontal lighting...and my yields prooved it lol. Only when I did MY OWN research online last summer did I realize how poorly I was doing and needed to change things. I read about kfb and off I went. I set the system up..using my passive enviro w/ 5kw/lava rocks w. clones in 1.5"rw/24/7 pump/and no chiller and externally located ballasts and uninsul. rez no less.
Never heard of root rot, nor ever had seen overwatered plants till then. Lost all 4 over 3wk period. (My mom was gravely ill during all this and I was gone a fair bit and couldn't keep as close eye on things as I'd normally do so keep this in mind). I bought a chiller and insul rez...but w. the passive air and temps in the low 90's...the 1/4hsp chiller couldn't keep the rez temps down...another set of clones and another 3wk. later and more root rot. It was then I decided to seal up the system, insul and drywall walls, get a/c. I got gun shy of 24/7 feeds w/ rw based clones (only kind I can get) and the lava rock. So I ditched the rock and went back to my "tried and true" perlite/coir that didn't need continuos feeding and gave me a 'buffer' of safety. And that is how and why my last crop went the way it did. ANd to top it off, harvest came when relatives were for xmas...so they stayed in for extra week====>prod. a fair amount of prem. seed pods and some seeds. Major $$ hit.

Sorry for the long rant, but thought you'd like to know the facts.
In the meantime, the heat broke at the end of summer, and the a/c's kept a nice growroom temp. I probably should've went back to the lava rock (all clean and sitting outside doing nothing) but was just scared I guess.

I've installed since then a rez temp gauge (68) and an inline drain temp g. and that's when I noticed the big temp. difference b/w the rez and the bottom buckets in my, non 24/7 feed setup. After all the bucket and drain and feedline insulation...it's now like 76 last time i checked which is still a bit high.

thx for the help
greenja

Last edited:

HyGradeChronic

COLORED BUCKETS

COLORED BUCKETS

..... if you guys want, i get you info on where to score the GREY LIGHT TIGHT BUCKETS that i use. they the ONLY buckets on market besides the blk ones that keep ALL LIGHT OUT...
..... peace
..... HGC

krusty

ya...it doesnt work like that greenja....

you gotta use lava rock....and you gotta feed 24/7...and once the plant gets large enough you cannot keep the top portion of the plant wet...if this happens it WILL kill off the plant and you will get discoloration..

i think this is how it works...i aint no botinist...fuck cant even spell it...but anyhoo doesnt matter if it is in soil or in clones or jiffy cubes or even them nasty fucked up rockwool cubes...if the top portion of the root has wetness/nutrients the plant seems to pick up the nutrients from this area...but in time it will become soggy and the plant dies off...or so it seems to me...again i aint no biotnist or whatever..but i guarantee i have seen and worked with alot more marijuana plants then probably any botnist out there...and after many years fo trial and error....i KNOW that if you keep the top portion of the root DRY and the lower/fingers/hair roots constently wet WITH extreme air (lotsa bubbles anyways) that is when you can push the plant to its limit....

i think what happens is when the whole root structure is wet the plant will ingest from the top portion and in time the lower section starts to die off form not beeing in use or something....then i *think* the top section cant either heal the lwoer section once there is problems or the top section cant ingest the propper parts of your nutrients or maybe even the lower section dying off is sooo much stress on plant that it simply dies off...

i truely dont know...i just know when yer top root structure is dry its going to be a good pay day:)

peace

krusty

Greenja

Well :( a bit sorry to hear that those roots were not healthy/dead. Was hoping it was nut stain. But your explanation certainly makes sense....the plant thinks there's so much avail. nuts in the soiless mx by staying moist and therefore 'no reason' for roots to use the bottom buckets nuts.
I saw your other post to cpt. regard. the nut temps. good info.

Well..Thanks Krusty for the help! I'll ditch my mix and use the lava rocks next time. Shoot...wished we'd had this chat 3 wks ago. Oh well..its just my luck:rolleyes:

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
krusty

krusty

The last post you made about top roots dry turned on a light upstairs.I grow in a tube garden(8")with 2-1000 watt lights over the tubes.I use 32 oz. tumbler cups from Wal-mart(plastic),I drill the shit out of these on the bottom and some safety overflow holes on the sides.They are filled with grow rocks (lava with ceramic coating)I know this is not what your lava rock is,but where do you get it from??The thing about the roots in my system is I use a top 1/4 " feed line until the roots come through the bottom of the cups and down into the nutes flowing through the bottom 1/4 of the grow tubes.As soon as they reach this point,I stop feeding from the top.I learned to stop top feeding When two of the lines going to the back cups got clogged and I didn't know it.When I finally realized that they were not recieving top feed,you could see that they were producing bigger tighter buds.I removed all the top feeds from the back grow tube to see what results I wwould end up with after harvest.The ten plants in that tube smoked the rest,no comparison!!!!!Needless to say it is always removed when they reach the water.And ,yes the roots are dry where they go through the bottom of the cups and up to the stalk!!Take care...............CC

I plan on building a Krusty set-up but I will be using the 4 gallon square buckets,and will top feed until the roots can draw from the oxegenated water below!!!!

krusty

capt - ya too funny....i made up a mistaponics a few years back(1994 i think)...a cheap mans aeroponics basically....i took two rubber maid containers ...drilled 6 holes on top of each....then put in these small buckets...had a small pump running top feed then i had 2 misters per rubber maid container/which acted as the resivoir too....what happened with me is that the pump was exterior (not in the rubebr maids) and was farily huge so that the misters would actually mist and not drip....but the pressure was too much for top feeding so i had a valve for the top feeding...one time i must have adjusted the valve to the off setting...i noticed that the top root portion was completely bone dry....yet the plants looekd healthier then ever and the damn plants didnt have that green fungus shit growwing at the base of the stalk/top of the roots....so i took that experience i this little pre grow and added it to my buckets...basically just took my top feeders and put them to the side of the bucket...ended up seeing way healthier plants....

but it is funny how we learn more from accidents then we do form following a bunch of bullshit from others/books/online

peace

krusty

HyGradeChronic

HGC SIMPLY HUMBLE STUDENT...

HGC SIMPLY HUMBLE STUDENT...

..... any postive contribution i've made w/regards to krusty's system, his methods, equipment, or philosophy ongrowing etc, is because he took some extra time to help me above and beyond what he's posted over the last couple yrs on the net. i truely appreciate that because it has made me a better mo conscientious grower, and hgc got a chance toget to know him lil mo betta as a person/friend.
..... hgc sez HI LEXIE!!!!!:p
..... peace
..... HGC

krusty

teehee

man do i feel da warmth:)

heys lex....good to see yas dewd:)

thanx for the niceness HGC....glad you like mes and consider me a friend....ditto right back at yas:)

peace n *grouphugz*

krusty

lets just hope my meds keep me in line....hmmm...shit..wait...i dont take any.....

Thanks for all the info!!

Thanks for all the info!!

Krusty

Smoking and reading your threads here and on OG put a funny image in my head. "Hello, my name is BP and I am a soil grower."
"Hello BP" the crowd echoes.....
You make me rethink my horizontal lights and soil growing - without a doubt. My house lease is up soon, and when I move into my next house, it will have a "spare" room and better electrical. I will then be able to invest a little and implement your type of growing and see for myself. I'm grateful for all the info you have provided us budding growers(pun intended;) ) I look forward to your future posts and doing my own small "krusty system". Thanks!:)

BP

Latest posts

Latest posts