What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with cooling 1000 watt

I recently purchased a 1000 watt switchable light with a vented hood and glass. This thing is really hot and I'm concerned about causing a fire. Eventually it will be in a flower room that is 3ft w x 6ft l x 7 1/2 ft tall. What type of fan do I need to cool the light and how big?

I might want to only recirculate the air in the room with an ozone generator for odor control. A quiet fan is a must.

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also use a 1000 watter. Heat will make growing marijuana indoors a freaking nightmare!!!

So, I suggest 2 150cu/ft fans at least. One to exhaust out the top of your light, and the other to pipe air into the light. Get the glass that slides into the light too. That glass will ensure that the heat doesn't get the chance to escape into the room before being sucked out by your exhaust.

Don't skimp on this step! Make sure that your 1000 is vented, for both safety and the well being of your crop.

cc

G

Hey man,
Composer pretty much hit the nail on the head, another thing to keep in mind as far as fire hazards are concearned is weather your fuse box is capable of sustaining the wattage. Its also a good idea to keep your area as free of flammable materials as possible, because I have had lights fall and catch fire before. Some older houses I have found have serious electrical issues, just some things to keep in mind. Intake and exhaust fans are a really good idea though, you have to have airmovement so the heat doesnt remain stagnant...it can be a nightmare if your not prepared.

good luck my friend:)

G

Captain, also use a GFI, its like the sockets in the bathroom, has a breaker in it. That way it will break the circuit before major damage. :cool:

omega7

I would also consider not putting the ozone generator in the grow room with your ladies. I would also not leave it on for long periods of time. It isn't good to breath a lot of o3. If for security reasons you need the odor elimination, at least make sure you study up on ozone generators before you place it in the final set up. good luck and I hope to seee some healthy ladies from you soon.
-o7-

krusty

Captian- first off most units are made with tempered glass...if it isnt then it is a fire hazard..if it is tempered then no worries..at werst it iwll burn the plants if they are close (which they should be) ...i would use more then 150 cu/ft ...probably 250 at the least...efficient makes a very quiet stable long lasting fan that works perfect for a single 1000 watt unit....it is 250 cu/ft ...i use it for pre veg....your comment about recirculating the air in this small room...you CANNOT do this....all you will do is re circulate the heated air...it will eventually build up the temps over 110 F which is no good ...especially if you have a typical small set up where your roots are not kept cool...it is one thing to allow yer air temp to reach 110 F but if yer root temps (even in soil dewds) reach over 80 F you will end up with probs....dont even argue this or you will look like a fool....anyhoo....now the reason why you want to recirculate the air is cause you want to seal off this area....but trust me....all you will end up doing is creating an area that will literally sweat this smell..and will actually in most cases be alot stronger scnet then if you simply exhausted....it is best to bring in fresh air which will add co2 to your enviroment (unles yer ussing co2....but from yer size n the question yer asked i highly doubt your at this level yet)

ideally you would want to create vaccum in this area.....so that no smell leaks into any other areas of the house/condo/apartment/ect...and you want your ozone generator AFTER your exhaust.....and you want at least say 20 feet of ducting after the ozone generator to alow the air and ozone to mix up and kill off the odors.....remeber not to use anything smooth...use the flexible type ducting which will create paterns inside the ducting which will mix up the air/ozone better....the people who mentioned not to put ozone in yer grow room are correct...in fact you do not want to ever put ozone in any area in which YOU breath...ozone at the levels we need to kill off smell will create lung problems with humans...especially continued exposure.

peace

krusty

shiit... my answer was lost... well here it is again... luckily it was mostly a copy paste from another thread of mine...

How do I install a duct fan to operate most efficiently?
(principles of effective ventilation)

Many growers own fans powerful enough to move air of a city block in Manhattan, but has failed to install it properly, causing greater pressure reduction. This extra pressure drop is called the system effect or system dissipation, and can cause the fan to produce a smaller volume of air than indicated in the fan diagram.

The following factors must be considered in order to avoid system dissipation:

At the Inlet

# The distance to the nearest wall must be more than 0.75 the inlet's diameter.

# The inlet duct's cross section must not be greater than 112% or less than 92% of the fan inlet.
# The inlet duct's length must be at least 1 x the duct diameter.

# The inlet duct must no have any obstacles to the air flow (dampers, branching or similar).

At the outlet

# The angle at the reduction of the duct cross-section must be less than 15 degrees

# The angle at the enlargement of the duct cross-section must be less than 7 degrees
# A straight length of at least 3x duct diameter is required after a duct fan.

# Avoid 90 degree bends (use 45 degree)

# Bends must be shaped so that they follow the air stream after the fan.

If the connections are different from this, there could be a greater pressure reduction.

Circular duct fans for example, are propulsive, pushing the air. And should be installed so that the long duct is after the fan itself. Using fans correctly is the main thing you want to concetrate while planning your ventilation... good luck...

Latest posts

Latest posts