What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calaveras County Has Screwed Over Every Legal Grower

calaveras

The Calaveras county supervisors recently voted to refund formerly registered growers $1000.00 each. Other grower lawsuits against the county are going forward.
Other marijuana news is slow this time of year, one indoor 600 plant bust powered by a generator. Plant count usually includes small cuttings to bulk up numbers.
I recently made my first visit to a local dispensary to buy some seeds for the upcoming season. The doorman asked if I had a medical card. I thought California was all recreational but apparently Calaveras county is able to stipulate that all dispensary customers must still have a medical recommendation . The doorman gave me a card of some online doctor that can give a prescription in 20 minutes for $39.00. I said there is no need for more of that silliness. There are plenty of other places to get some seeds.

calaveras

It aint over until the fat rastafarian sings. Recently Calaveras county supervisors decided to "revisit " the commercial regulated cannabis farm issue. They are not in a big hurry but the issue is still out there. They are talking about a ban on hemp farming also. Hemp farming would definitely screw over any sinsemilla farmer within a mile or so. I don't know if you could find any place in the county where nobody is growing a mile from any other farmers other than the high country which is currently buried in snow.
I recently made a trip to the bay area in search for a few clones and some new seeds for this season after being turned away from a local dispensary because I don't have a medical card. I got a bit of sticker shock after paying the 33% tax . The government is going to drive the whole scene underground with their greed. 33%..... really?

Crazy Chester

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The government is going to drive the whole scene underground with their greed. 33%..... really?"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I hear you, calaveras. Luckily, if you can sidestep the feds, the change in the CA penal code means a first or even second offender faces no more than a misdemeanor charge and no possible jail time - even if you cultivated, possessed or sold millions of pounds of cannabis![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Talk about the greedy CA legislatures putting out the welcome sign for everyone to get into the black market!
[/FONT]

calaveras

The all wise and powerful Calaveras county supervisors continue to review and discuss future cannabis policy. They are talking about a limited number of 100 or so registered growers who were previously in good standing with the 2016-2018 regs. Talk is minimum 40 acre parcels but allowing growers to combine adjacent parcels or allowing more than one farmer per site. Also previously registered growers on smaller parcels would be allowed to re- locate to a larger property.
Most of the growers who were new transplants to the area in 2016 have moved on to greener pastures leaving the "locals" behind . Many are hopeful that commercial farming would be allowed once more and they are not pushing new grows until legalized again. I really thought commercial growing was over last year but it could very well return. As is in all of California marijuana for profit is for the big players with lots of $ to invest. I just wish the supervisors would just allow a simple vote up or down on the issue to ALL residents of the county and not let the decision be left to 5 people.
The local busts lately are typical, A few greenhouses and a Asian grow house or 2.
Currently only 6 indoor plants is allowed legally but everyone breaks that rule with 6 or so outdoors which keeps most people and friends supplied . This is the dumbest rule when we live in one of the best growing areas in a state known for producing quality bud. At least the cops don't seem to mess with small personal grows unless you get their attention. It is a huge waste of electricity also for greenie types.
P.S. Long live the guerrilla grower

Crazy Chester

Once Calaveras gets its head out of its ass, they should do it right this time. Calaveras County residents only! If the big out of county conglomerates want to get in they should be forced to buy out a local grower.

Lyfespan

Once Calaveras gets its head out of its ass, they should do it right this time. Calaveras County residents only! If the big out of county conglomerates want to get in they should be forced to buy out a local grower.

county should demand a local mailing address, and only them, inviting others only weakens the emerging economy. local infrastructure to start then introduce outsiders by way of taxation.

this model allows for money to actually stay in the county:tiphat:

not selling tax breaks for things in communities like fucking amazon, they give shit to the community, only promises, followed by excuses on why they CANT be kept

calaveras

Every year is notably different in the marijuana grow scene. This year the helicopters have been absent . Word is law enforcement is using drones more than the high priced helos. A couple of months ago I visited a friend with a hilltop home and 360 degree views. He pointed out several good sized grows including greenhouses running lights at night. Despite the ban lots of people are still running fairly large operations. 5 busts have happened in the last few weeks ranging from grow houses to outdoor most with over 1000 plants and lots of processed bud on site. What is unusual is arrests have been made at most locations.
Last week I saw a convoy of local sheriffs and federal looking vehicles, about 15 total in tight formation moving fast. This usually means a big high profile pot bust but I saw nothing in the news.
The big mega-grow store in San Andreas is still hanging in there despite business being a fraction of what it was 2 years ago. Shelves are well stocked and employees are friendly. You can't beat their price of $10.00 a bag for ocean forest soil but it is tough to make payroll when most customers are personal farmers. The guys buying pallets of soil are few and far between.
Lots of people are counting on a partial reinstatement of commercial registered farming.

calaveras

2019 is shaping up to be the year of the bust. Just this week , 4 major grows busted, most have around 1000 plants and one operation with 5000 plants. I guess growers are playing the odds figuring the cops cannot get them all.
It has been one year since the legal registered grow scene was shut down. Lots of growers are risking it with huge operations. Smaller grows under 100 plants either don't get the sheriff's attention or don't make it into the news. Tacky roadside signs have been popping up lately with statements like" F--- the local sheriff" such class behavior . Lots of abandoned grow sites that looked like homeless camps when in operation now look like abandoned homeless sites. That is the kind of behavior that sours the general public against pot farmers. People that do not respect the land or neighbor. That being said I know some farmers whose operation is the model of how to do it right, environmentally and esthetically friendly .
Formerly registered farmers are still hoping for a limited reinstatement of registered farming and are on their best behavior. As for me, my 6+ garden is invisible to satellites but not drones. Nobody worries about personal grows although technically illegal to grow anywhere but indoors in Calaveras county.

Aerial surveillance has still been noticeably absent as the sheriffs dept. evolves tactics.

calaveras

Sheriffs dept. announces 8 busts in 3 days. Lots of processed product and thousands of plants. The summer of pot farm busts continues. I have never seen so much cop/ marijuana activity in 25 years. They must be getting out of county help [Feds.] The skies still remain quiet.

calaveras

Roadside signs have been popping up everywhere lately. They say: Cannabis is legal, Stop the raids , Recall Debasilio[Sheriff] . F --- the sheriff. Lots of pissed off growers are losing their crop, hauled off in sheriff dept. pickups. Most farms seem to be substantially larger than the 1/2 acre max. size dictated by the previous years registered farms temporarily legalized by the county. People are really going for it in a big way and many are paying the price.
For example: A large grow with 3000 plants was busted 6 weeks ago. A 75 year old guy and his 72 year old wife charged. They have big bay area money and could live extremely comfortably for the rest of their lives without weed money. The sheriffs dept. busted the same location last week with over 1000 large plants. The owners are both arrested with $200,000 and $100,000 bail. The additional charges are piled on the way cops like to do. Growers believe if they got hit once the cops will not come back, guess again, you are still on the radar. Judges do not look kindly at repeat offenders when the initial case is still pending. 75 years old and looking at jail time. I think the word is brazen. Greedy is another. Karma can be such a bitch

MountZionCollec

https://cannabis.calaverasgov.us/Portals/Cannabis/Documents/Cannabis/Ordinance.pdf

https://cannabis.calaverasgov.us/Po...nabis/2019-056 Cannabis Ordinance 8-22-19.pdf

Calaveras is moving closer to allowing commercial cultivation in the future. Will be limited to the original growers still in good standing. A max of 190 but most likely less then half of that once citations, warrants, tax delinquent farms, bankrupt farms reduce that number probably below 100

We almost went bankrupt twice. I believe im in good standing based on the draft ordinance but well see.

Been living in indiana with family working in refineries and chemical plants doing my old job, phased array ultrasonic weld inspection. Paying the bills will give me opportunity to make another go of cannabis farming in future

If were allowed to grow in 2020 will need to move to a 20+ acre site and persuade an investor to loan enough money to make the transition. We will see. I would like to grow 1 acre for sale to manufactures

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
https://cannabis.calaverasgov.us/Portals/Cannabis/Documents/Cannabis/Ordinance.pdf

https://cannabis.calaverasgov.us/Po...nabis/2019-056 Cannabis Ordinance 8-22-19.pdf

Calaveras is moving closer to allowing commercial cultivation in the future. Will be limited to the original growers still in good standing. A max of 190 but most likely less then half of that once citations, warrants, tax delinquent farms, bankrupt farms reduce that number probably below 100

We almost went bankrupt twice. I believe im in good standing based on the draft ordinance but well see.

Been living in indiana with family working in refineries and chemical plants doing my old job, phased array ultrasonic weld inspection. Paying the bills will give me opportunity to make another go of cannabis farming in future

If were allowed to grow in 2020 will need to move to a 20+ acre site and persuade an investor to loan enough money to make the transition. We will see. I would like to grow 1 acre for sale to manufactures

glad you are still around, did you grow anything the past two seasons?

MountZionCollec

glad you are still around, did you grow anything the past two seasons?

Nope, i wanted to but just decided to go back go work. Been travelling between Houston texas and chicagoland/northwest indiana.

Been over a year since ive smoked any ganja, that will change soon once my current job hopefully ends in next few months and we move back to Calaveras.

MountZionCollec

California has screwed over every legal grower! And i include the california growers association in that fact. I told those dumbasses that teaming up with the legislature telling them that they represented 50,000 farmers who wanted to get a medical bill passed in the same year the people were set to vote on a recreational bill was going to cause chaos and division and doom us to years of it settling down into something decent. We were divided and got a shitty recreational bill, in addition to shitty med bill. Its sadly gotten worse not better.

California is the best climate to grow cannabis. Once shipment between the american states is allowed california will be the leading state in production but i am worried that theyll never get there regulations and taxes into order until they are allowed to export and must compete with other states for national sales.

I hope calaveras has a holders clause in whatever bill they pass because it seems waiting it out 1-3 more years is smarter then betting my money on the competence of the california legislators and regulators.

Last edited:

CaptainDankness

California has screwed over every legal grower! And i include the california growers association in that fact. I told those dumbasses that teaming up with the legislature telling them that they represented 50,000 farmers who wanted to get a medical bill passed in the same year the people were set to vote on a recreational bill was going to cause chaos and division and doom us to years of it settling down into something decent. We were divided and got a shitty recreational bill, in addition to shitty med bill. Its sadly gotten worse not better.

California is the best climate to grow cannabis. Once shipment between the american states is allowed california will be the leading state in production but i am worried that theyll never get there regulations and taxes into order until they are allowed to export and must compete with other states for national sales.

I hope calaveras has a holders clause in whatever bill they pass because it seems waiting it out 1-3 more years is smarter then betting my money on the competence of the california legislators and regulators.
Anything to keep the price of cannabis artificially inflated. I see them CA growers complaining all time about how cheap they have to sell. Without all them busts it would be cheaper for sure.

Won't really cripple the CA market but any state in the south has a perfect climate. I'm sure Kentucky can grow at least just as good as northern California. Really New England outdoor is great if you get them to finish early enough.

Once federally legal California will be like Bourbon you can get some great Bourbon but it's not really better than Crown Royal or a good Scotch. I'm kind of interested in what's going to come out of Columbia, Canopy Growth is there too so I imagine they'll have some pretty good weed commercially grown. Once federally legal imports from Columbia and Canada are going to flood America while Americans have to start from scratch.

MountZionCollec

Anything to keep the price of cannabis artificially inflated. I see them CA growers complaining all time about how cheap they have to sell. Without all them busts it would be cheaper for sure.

Won't really cripple the CA market but any state in the south has a perfect climate. I'm sure Kentucky can grow at least just as good as northern California. Really New England outdoor is great if you get them to finish early enough.

Once federally legal California will be like Bourbon you can get some great Bourbon but it's not really better than Crown Royal or a good Scotch. I'm kind of interested in what's going to come out of Columbia, Canopy Growth is there too so I imagine they'll have some pretty good weed commercially grown. Once federally legal imports from Columbia and Canada are going to flood America while Americans have to start from scratch.

I imagine americans wont allow imports to flood in before the national market is on its feet.

East of the Mississippi river is too humid for high quality cannabis. Hemp will also be grown on a massive scale here so pollen will be a major issue.

They also get less sun hours and sunny days per year.

Increased humidity leads to increase mold. Mildew and pest problems. And lower resin production.

Im from indiana i know the climate. Great for hemp

Im not familiar with columbia and its different climates. May have some competitive regions with lower humidity, flat land, good soil, near ports? Maybe, not sure.

Canada will Cease to be a major player in production if trade happens between America and Canada. They are capital rich for the next couple years until their next generation enters retirement and they pull their investments from risk and theyll become capital poor in just a few years. Right now is their peak. Their climate is terrible compared to Ameeica.

West of the Mississippi river in America is ideal climate. Lots of sunny days. Low humidity. Winters kills off many pests. Good infrastructure. Rule of law.

California is the ideal state in the ideal region of America and will be a competitive internationally when the time comes. LONG ways away.

Central california and Calaveras is well positioned to compete long term. We have the climate, the water from the sierra nevada mountains, and are close to ports to load product onto the water, which is cheapest method of transportation.

Last edited:

'Boogieman'

I imagine americans wont allow imports to flood in before the national market is on its feet.

East of the Mississippi river is too humid for high quality cannabis. Hemp will also be grown on a massive scale here so pollen will be a major issue.

They also get less sun hours and sunny days per year.

Increased humidity leads to increase mold. Mildew and pest problems. And lower resin production.

Im from indiana i know the climate. Great for hemp

Im not familiar with columbia and its different climates. May have some competitive regions with lower humidity, flat land, good soil, near ports? Maybe, not sure.

Canada will Cease to be a major player in production if trade happens between America and Canada. They are capital rich for the next couple years until their next generation enters retirement and they pull their investments from risk and theyll become capital poor in just a few years. Right now is their peak. Their climate is terrible compared to Ameeica.

West of the Mississippi river in America is ideal climate. Lots of sunny days. Low humidity. Winters kills off many pests. Good infrastructure. Rule of law.

California is the ideal state in the ideal region of America and will be a competitive internationally when the time comes. LONG ways away.

Central california and Calaveras is well positioned to compete long term. We have the climate, the water from the sierra nevada mountains, and are close to ports to load product onto the water, which is cheapest method of transportation.

I'm also from Indiana, you can grow really good weed outdoors. I'm sure the same cut or seed would do better in a drier climate but I have grown weed that I can't finish half a joint out here. Thai stick was grown in a very humid climate year round, personally I believe indicas are better in a dry climate but some sativas can perform great in a humid climate.

calaveras

Greetings from the wilds of Calaveras county. I better type this quick before PGE shuts off power again. 2019 has been a interesting season. The summer/fall of busts continues. The largest grow was 6000 plants and I saw cops busting grows down to 100 plant size.A large number of farms were busted twice in the same season. Those guys are probably looking at some jail time. Recent busts have really put the hurt on growers late in the season. One guy had 850 pounds processed on site. A surprisingly large number of busts are from out of state growers and illegals.
The calaveras supervisors recently voted 3-2 in favor of reinstating legal farming for limited number of growers, about 175 or so is the number they are planning for.Acreage size is upped to 1 acre. This equates to approximately 1000 plants. Previously registered farmers in good standing will be given priority. I never thought it would happen without a public vote but 3 people out of 30,000 have decided our future. Kind of sad considering how widely unpopular round one was. Maybe they will get it right on round 2.[Doubtful]
I remember not too many years ago when 50 plants was considered a big grow, that is now a starter patch, not worthy of police attention. I guess the 1 acre+ grows are what it takes to be competitive nowadays. The number of U-Hauls moving product out of town has been noticeable lately.
The big growers are using more machines to harvest quickly as low prices make well paid trim crews a endangered species. Locals looking for some quick cash had plenty of trim work in the past. It seems the profits are not being spread around the local community like previous years. Most local previously registered farmers just grew 6 or so plants this year so as to not jeopardize their status with the reinstatement of legal farming.
My crop is in and excellent, time to go fishing