What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedlings not looking so good - pics

tilopa

My seedlings started out great, all beans cracked and grew 2 new (real) leaves and roots before I transplanted into actual pots. I know most people say you should not use nutes at this point, but I mixed my soil with plain coco coir, perlite, and roots organic 707 formula. I'd say about half of the roots organic and half coco perlite.

From the picks does it look like they are having nute burn (too much nutrients)?

If not what can this be. I have a small amount of light (indoor) and temps and humidity are fine.

If it is nute burn what can I do at this point to correct it?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 21
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 23

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If they stopped growing, flush the pots with ph7 water. Let it run off for a few minutes or so.

I know you want to, but never ever give them food for the first 2-3 weeks no matter what anyone says. And the soil should be as plain vanilla as possible.

tilopa

If they stopped growing, flush the pots with ph7 water. Let it run off for a few minutes or so.

I know you want to, but never ever give them food for the first 2-3 weeks no matter what anyone says. And the soil should be as plain vanilla as possible.

OK. I'm not sure if they've stopped growing, it has only been like 24 hours since I transplanted them so it is hard to tell.

BTW- just so I'm clear, I did not add any liquid nutes or anything like that, just plane water. But I added nute rich soil (Roots organics) along with coco and perlite. So if I flush now how is that going to get rid of the nutes in the soil?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it's been such a short amount of time since transplant I'd wait a day or two for improvements.

This.

Plants grow in spurts. Roots first, then leaves, then more roots, then more leaves, and so on and so on.

Probably sending down roots into the soil. When there's enough root to support more plant, it'll grow above soil.

Just give it a couple more days.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
My seedlings started out great, all beans cracked and grew 2 new (real) leaves and roots before I transplanted into actual pots. I know most people say you should not use nutes at this point, but I mixed my soil with plain coco coir, perlite, and roots organic 707 formula. I'd say about half of the roots organic and half coco perlite.

From the picks does it look like they are having nute burn (too much nutrients)?

If not what can this be. I have a small amount of light (indoor) and temps and humidity are fine.

If it is nute burn what can I do at this point to correct it?

Thanks for any advice.
Probably too little water in the soil.

If you want to have a trouble free grow, you should bottom water with plain water only - presuming the quality of your tapwater is ok, that you've set the watering can next to the growing plants for a least a day so the temp of the water and plants is the same and chlorine has evaporated...

Basically plants with herbaceous root systems like being watered from capilliary water rising up and evaporating under their leaves/canopy. Weed also has a pen root, which eventually can end up in the water table. However when they're smaller, they're basically watered from the little water that is in the soil and evaporation.

In the wild, that would come from plants with larger root systems that do reach to the water table, wicking up more water than they use. Roots alive and dead wick up water and act like any other wick - only better and more intricately woven through the soil.

You can use a watering cloth for even watering of seedlings.

Even watering also means even nutrition, because plants need water to consume the dissolved nutrients.

Lastly plants need 0.4 EC bloom food (BioSevia, BioCanna), low in nitrogen (growth), higher in phosphorus (roots) and potassium (stems) and 0.1 EC of epsom salt for magnesium (leaves). In this development stage of the plant, you don't want fast growth, but a large root system that can support the plant and it's needs, and a strong stem that can keep the leaves high without damage.

Feed once from the top of the pot, then bottom water with plain tapwater only, and you will have a very trouble free grow. The nutrients will alway be available, and the plant will let you know when it needs to be fed again.

Also, there won't be an increase in nutrient concentration when the soil dries.

Example:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Garden/page.aspx?p=44627&cat=2,44713

Latest posts

Latest posts