What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

Palindrome

King of Schwag
How are the sliders going to work/for what purpose? Getting behind the table on the far end?

Thank you and welcome aboard bsgospel :tiphat:

The plan with the sliders, is to make the table slide from side to side. Giving me room, to walk up on both sides of the table.
Mainly for when I set the plants, and maybe moving them around during veg. But also in case a plant in the far corner, should fall over 2/3 into flower. It will be nice, to be able to creep up both sides. Rather then leaning over all the other plants.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
DIY Carbon Box Scrubber

DIY Carbon Box Scrubber

Build the carbon box scrubber for my intake, by making a simple wood frame. Filter mat, perforated plate and activated carbon.

Mounted a sheet of perforated plate, and filter mat on one side of the wood frame.

First an inch of 8 mm carbon pellets, then a layer of 3 mm carbon pellets. Finally after spending some time packing it in, I covered the carbon sandwich with filter mat and another sheet of perforated plate.

Pressed into the wall, now I need to find out how much Co2 it will remove.
I plan on adding a Co2 controller later on, but for now the budget isn't there.

belivitez

So you will keep tank water ballanced at 5.5ph all the time how is about ec?

When ph drops/go up and ec will go down you will change water? Sorry i grow only in soil but like i say i want to go in game with hydro...

Palindrome

King of Schwag
So you will keep tank water ballanced at 5.5ph all the time how is about ec?

When ph drops/go up and ec will go down you will change water? Sorry i grow only in soil but like i say i want to go in game with hydro...

I like a drifting pH, so I don't keep it at 5.5. That's the lvl I lower it to and then I let it drift up to 6.2 before I lower it again, in my opinion this gives a better/widder nutrient uptake.

The Ec lvl well it really depends on the plant, but as I recall something like 0.6-0.9 Ec for young clones. 1-1.3 Ec for veg and 1.5-3.0 Ec for flower. I'll have to check up on this, after 10 years without growing, a few of the details are a bit hazy.

If the pH is going down, on an old mix I always change the res. As I said I can't remember everything, but it's something about the waste nutrients. When their lvls get's high, the pH will start dropping.
Compared to when your plants have the correct uptake, the pH rises and Ec Drops.
It can also be your Ec is too high, so if you just made a new nutrient mix. And the pH go down, and Ec is the same og higher. You just need to lower the Ec, as the plants are only drinking water!

Hope this makes sence :tiphat:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Table sliders

Table sliders

I started working on the table sliders, im not sure this will hold but im gonna give it a try non the less.

Mounted drawer sliders on the table stand, on top of that is mounted three peaces of wood. In the same wide as the table, so I can mount the table top on these.

Then I got the cooltube fan connected in the attic, the plan is to direct the hot air into the scullery. After we got a new boiler, the temps in the room have gone down a lot.
To a point where hang drying laundery takes for ever, so I makes a lot of sence to use the hot air for heating.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Feedline progress

Feedline progress

Feedline and drippers are done, ready to be tested once I get the table top mounted.

T fittings have been mounted in the feedline, to feed two drip circles.

I drilled the pot's to fit the drip line, holding the drip circle in place. With out need of spikes or what ever, just a simple 7 mm hole made with a sharp metal/PVC drill.

Keep it simple!

paper thorn

Veteran
nice work. Great set-up for a small space.
So this is a recirculating drip?

I'm glad i got here before you started the grow. on the old seeds.
I've popped lots of old seeds. I've got a ton of seeds 5 to 11 years old. good stuff, but old seeds can be stubborn.

But it's not their fault, they been dried up for so long, once they do pop they can really struggle for a while. I have some going right now that are finally growing out of the weirdness.

As far as germinating them goes... Well, I've searched and studied and done OK with a 45 minute peroxide soak. regular peroxide mixed 1 part to 10 parts water.
Then a soak overnight in water with a bit of sugar in it, maybe in a bottle with a lid so i can drop in an airstone and pressurize the bottle.
Works good, but the last time i did it it did not help, sometimes I seem to do just as well by just tossing them in paper towels with no special treatment at all.

Then many times the seed will split and the root tip will show, then nothing. This is the time for good reading glasses and pointy tweezers. Split that seed apart without killing it lol and it'll make it.

good luck with them.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
nice work. Great set-up for a small space.
So this is a recirculating drip?

I'm glad i got here before you started the grow. on the old seeds.
I've popped lots of old seeds. I've got a ton of seeds 5 to 11 years old. good stuff, but old seeds can be stubborn.

But it's not their fault, they been dried up for so long, once they do pop they can really struggle for a while. I have some going right now that are finally growing out of the weirdness.

As far as germinating them goes... Well, I've searched and studied and done OK with a 45 minute peroxide soak. regular peroxide mixed 1 part to 10 parts water.
Then a soak overnight in water with a bit of sugar in it, maybe in a bottle with a lid so i can drop in an airstone and pressurize the bottle.
Works good, but the last time i did it it did not help, sometimes I seem to do just as well by just tossing them in paper towels with no special treatment at all.

Then many times the seed will split and the root tip will show, then nothing. This is the time for good reading glasses and pointy tweezers. Split that seed apart without killing it lol and it'll make it.

good luck with them.

Hello paper thorn, thanks for stopping by and welcome aboard.

Im afraid the seeds are lost, but I'll start with clones. Once im done with the flower room, I'll get started setting up a veg closet. For a few moms and clones, and then get back to sprouting some seeds.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Flow Table Test

Flow Table Test

Today I got the flow table top mounted, the slides work for now. Don't know if it will last, once there is weight on the table. From plants and media, and in that case I'll fix it after the first grow.

Drip test showed that I needed to tilt the table a little more, as the water didn't run off the table as fast as needed.
Tilted it as much as I could, without having to remove the whole table top. Did mate the water run a bit faster off the table, but still not enough.
It didn't prevent backrunning drops, on the underside of the channel plate once the watering stopped.

Fix - The heat gun.

Soften the plate up, and bend the channel plate down and let it cool.

2nd job of the day was fixing up the reflectors, I have always been a big fan of bat wing reflectors.
I have tried I don't know how many different reflectors, air cooled hoods and regular cool tubes.
The best air cooled light I have ever used, was when I made up the Bat Tube.

There are many brands for sure, but I have always liked the Adjust a wing reflector.

Drilled two holes fitting the M5 bolt, used in the cooltube to hang it.
And just mounted the bat wing reflector, right on top of the cooltube.

Two 'Bat Tubes' ready to mount in the room, then I just need to remont the sockets and wire them up.
Then the room just need a door for the room, but im still waiting on parts for that part of the project.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
And there was Light

And there was Light

Got the lights up and hanging, in the pulley system instead of easy rollers. So now I can with ease raise and lower the lights, as I won't be able to reach the 2nd light during flower.

I had two GIB lighting flower bulps, in the attic between my old grow equipment. So I will be using them for the first grow at least, as I recall I was never really happy with the GIB lights, compared to Phillips and Sylvania. But I suspect the magnettic ballasts I used back then, was the problem and maybe not the bulps.

Any input on experience with these bulps, would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Looking supreme!!! What kind of substrat will you use? How many liters are pots? :tiphat:

Thank you, I will be using expanded clay pebbles, cheap and easy to work with.

The pots are 11 liters, I might add more pot's later and shorten veg time.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Looking good

Looking good

The set up looks real nice. I like the idea of easily being able to adjust the light height. I will do it here in the future. Keep up the good work.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thank you Itsmychoice, I like to be able to adjust my lights when I use 400 or 600 Watt. When I was running 1K's years ago, I only moved them up and down the first grow :)

So I started on my hidden door, a bit more work then what it was made to look like online :)
Or im just not as skilled, either way I trust I'll get it to work eventually and look somewhat okay :D

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Started on the door

Started on the door

I got started on the door today, it's been a long wait on the 'Lazy Susan' berrings. I a bunch of YouTube videos, on DIY hidden doors for inspiration.

Now I just hope I can get to work as well, as some of the hany men I watched online
So far I have run into a few issues, they must have skipped in the videos.

I mounted the berrings on the floor and ceiling mount, and made the door frame on the floor.
At last I was able to mount the whole thing, in the door "space" to close the room.

Next step was strengthening the door frame, to get everything level.
I wedged the door up and mounted a long peace of perforated band, in the bottom corner and up to the top corner.
The wood was still bending a little, so I cut and mounted two studs as well.

Mounted a door stop

Door frame open and closed

Next step, hide the door and make the wall look like the rest of the garage.

fenomeno_djo

Slow and steady, that's the way to a new day...
Doing a great job, Pali. I can't wait to see you grow some little monsters in there; should be a treat for the entire forum :wave:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
High fenomeno_djo, thanks for your kind words and welcome aboard :tiphat:

Got the frame and door covered with the first sheets, im gonna add a 2nd layer of plywood tiles.
To give the wall/door the same look, as the rest of the garage once painted.

Made a minor error, when I mounted the the Lasy Susan's. They should have been mounted, a little different.
So the door don't open 100% as intended, but I think I figured out a way to work around it.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Flush Box

Flush Box

Getting closer to the finish line!

I ordered fan contontollers on ebay, I literally saved 83$ per controller. Compared to buying them localy, so of course I was a little nervous if they would even work.
But the 2½ $ fan controllers, works fine and are rated to run 15 - 200 watt.

Now only issue is that china and EU don't use the same flush boxes, and I wasn't clever enough to order flush boxes with the controllers.
So I made my own

A little work with the turnable chop n table saw, some drilling and a bunch of time. And I was on the way to building my first flush box.

The 2nd box was made a lot easyer
Took a peace of 2x4, drilled 4 holes and cut a square out with a "rabbit dick" saw. To about 3 minutes LOL

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Wiring the Fan Controllers

Wiring the Fan Controllers

Installing the fan controllers, in the room was fairly easy.

As I have mentioned before, im not a huge handy man. I just spend a lot of time on planing, but once in a while mistakes where made.
The instalation cable I got, was only 3 wires and I should have gotten a cable with 5 wires.
I will need to pull a 3rd wire, into the room for power. I got the cable, but still.

Power is going down to the fan controller, and a dimmed powerline is going back up to the box in the attic.

Each fan is then connected to a dimmed powerline, and a neutral in the attic and "job's done" now the fan speed can be adjusted.
To dial the room in, according to season.

Now I just need to pull a wire, for a power rail in the room and wiring should be done.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Cooltube Dust Filter

Cooltube Dust Filter

Made the dustfilter for the cooltube intake, to keep them neet and dust free.

I used a peace of 6" duct, and end peace, two 4" flanges and a 6" cone filter

Cut two 4" holes, for the flanges.

Mounted with screws and seamed with acrylic seam 'stuff' for ventilation

Now this odd looking thing, is ready to suck some air!

Latest posts

Latest posts