What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MrNice Super Silver Haze

leet

MNS SUPER SILVER HAZE - 1999

Hello haze fans,

I am creating this thread to show you my attempt at germinating and growing SuperSilverHaze from 1999. My seeds come directly and indirectly from Shantibaba/Nevil from MrNice Seedbank so I thank both a lot for their amazing work. I am huge fan.

I have tried germinating these seeds but it's almost impossible, I only managed to get one plant so far from 60~ seeds. I still have some more but let me tell you I have already tried scuffing, cracking, soaking in h2o2, kelp, aloe, sugars, humic ( fulvic ), bacteria, myco, coconut water, GA3 at different concentrations... I am thinking to try some TC medium for some of them BUT this thread is NOT about the germination of old seeds ( but if you have any tips, please, don't hesitate to PM me ). I will definitely keep you updated if I find something good that works on old seeds.

Having said that, this is the only plant that is growing at the moment , I am very happy. As you can see in the pictures the seedling never had green cotylydons and only had a pale patch of chlorophyll on one of the cotylydons and on the stem. Of course I had to remove the seed shell and then the endosperm, I did that almost perfectly and the seeds meristem seemed intacked after a day and produced first set of true leaves! Phew!

The soil is peat/compost/perlite with some biobizz premix ( dry fert ) , seabird guano, palm ash and then I preinoculated the soil with bacteria,myco, seaweed and a touch of coconut water. It seems to be growing OK!

So let the SSH journey begin!

picture.php

Looks haze dominant to me ;)

Last edited:

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Yeah, L33t! Best of luck cracking the rest of those seed. Hope your first plant does well also. I’ll be watching your progress from the front row here.

HB.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Hiya Leet good to see you long time Question are you seeing any life at all from the other seeds that failed like a little tap root.

leet

Quick answer : no , if they showed even the smallest tap root I think I could save them.
They just swell , some crack but there is NO action. I've tried cracking the shell and removing the embryo, they do nothing.

Hi Hempy :)

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Quick answer : no , if they showed even the smallest tap root I think I could save them.
They just swell , some crack but there is NO action. I've tried cracking the shell and removing the embryo, they do nothing.

Hi Hempy :)

Okay the fact some are cracking tells me this.

What i think is happening is the fluid between the seed embryo and seed embryo case is dry so what you need to do is soon as you see the seed case split is this.

Open up the seed remove the seed embryo and gently remove the embryo case from the seed embryo because its stuck and will kill it as a result.

If you have a medium like Rock wool or Coco place the seed embryo in that water and place under light like you would clones to root.

leet

I have tried to remove seed shell and endosperm after 2 days of soaking and placing the bare embryos in sterilized cotton with 0.15% h2o2 and they did nothing... I did the same but with bacteria,myco seaweed ... also nothing. I will try again but in pure water with a couple of drops of h2o2 and some in coco, thanks.

The cracking I believe is just from the mechanical swelling, its not because the embryo is doing any action . they look the same exactly the ones that crack and the ones that I crack myself... I understand what you say that the endosperm is really tough and generally needs removing... It's a very delicate process but probably mandatory

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Some times you will even see a tap root show and they don't go past that unless you intervene you don't they die so nothing to loos and every thing to gain.

I would not touch the seed until they crack and then you see no further movement.

One of two things will happen once the seed embryo in medium is placed under light you will see over say days to a week start to get green color on the leaf or it will just die.

Think i did a post on this at mr nice years ago cant remember what the strain was.

leet

I remember your posts, I read them again recently, thanks.

This is what I pretty much trying to do and will try again but I am also trying different methods too. Instead of coco/rockwool/soil I put the naked embryos in sterilized cotton and some paper towel on top in a transparent sterilized box with light on top. They did nothing for weeks ... I tried with seeds that cracked and did nothing for many days, I tried with seeds that I cracked myself on the 2nd day etc... After 14 days they start to mold and die. But I will try again some in coco/soil/rootit cubes.

Unfortunately I havent seen any action , not even the smallest root , except from the plant that survived.

HAZENACIOUS

Hi Leet,
Congratulations on your sprout! Thanks for the pics, has that scary haze look. When you get anything out of seeds old like that, it is to be considered a success.

HAZENACIOUS

Okay the fact some are cracking tells me this.

What i think is happening is the fluid between the seed embryo and seed embryo case is dry so what you need to do is soon as you see the seed case split is this.

Open up the seed remove the seed embryo and gently remove the embryo case from the seed embryo because its stuck and will kill it as a result.

If you have a medium like Rock wool or Coco place the seed embryo in that water and place under light like you would clones to root.

Hi Hempy,
Seed embryo transplant right? found it on Google search ages ago. That thread actually helped me on my first round, only got 4 sprouts out of close to a thousand seeds of all different types. My most important plant would not have sprouted without your method.

I have gotten a few that way I use it as a last ditch effort, like if the seeds are cracked, but they don't seem to be doing anything. Most times it fails but that one time it works makes it worth it.

Funny thing is seeds were 12-17 years old, the only ones that cracked were at least 50% 5hz, and they were from 15 and 17 year old stock, none of the younger stuff popped, presumably because it had less haze in it.

J-Icky

What i have done is use 1/2 tsp of coconut sugar and 10ml coconut water in 1cup of water and let the seeds soak in that for 12 hrs. The theory being that a coconut is just a giant seed so it would contain the proper sugars and other elements a seed would need. It worked to get some ancestral skunk seeds going after the first 60 produced nothing I got 7 to sprout and grow with doing this to another 40.

I’ll be looking into the embryo transplant for the next round I pop though. Very interesting concept that may help get more living examples out of these 30yr old seeds.

leet

MNS SSH - Day 10

Giving some sunlight to the seedling.. :) Tomorrow I will give lots of fertilizer, I think it needs some nutritients.

picture.php

T

TakenByTheSky

Sounds great can't wait to see what comes about. I've got some special '97 SSHs growing myself right now, will be cool to see how they differ.

TheDarkStorm

Are these the 97/98 ssh nevil himself made or the very first release of ssh from mr nice that were originally released with the label ssh upgraded.

leet

The seeds were made in 1999 and it was around when Shantibaba and Nevil left GH to creat MrNice. The SSH seeds were initially sold in green/blue packs I think but I never got to see one myself. My seeds were in yellow packs and also directly from Shantibaba in a ziplock, without a packet.

Don't quote me on that -> I think the last time Nevil made the NH and SSH was in 97,Shantibaba made all the seed after that.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts