What's new

power supply for 5m Led strips for raising seedlings and clones

carnalrekt

Hi all,
I live in a cloudy and rainy part of France and im trying to set up a cabinet to get my seedlings started early for next years garden and some cloning for a SOG.

5m reels of 5630 smd led's are cheap as chips like 5 bucks a pop, and im trying to set up a cabinet with 4 shelves, with a reel set up on up each shelf.

Im inspired by this guy who grows peppers with them and they seem to do quite well without any noticeable stretch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POK2ZB7wyeI

I like this setup because im on a tight budget and its easy to set up

I need some advice on powering these things. The guy in the video is using a meanwell LRS350 which seems to be a regular 12V constant voltage type power inverter. The sellers on fleabay and baliexpress seem to advocate similar power supply's...a 6A 12v power inverter for every 5m of strip

Do I really need to use a constant current type LED driver for these strips or will these work?? Is there any risk in damaging the led's or the power supply?
Are there any other things I need to be aware of regarding safety and proper use?

Thanks!!

bigpeter

Details of 5630
Luminous flux: 2000 lumen per meter.
Color temperature: 2800K-3200K Warm White
CRI: 85
Power: 24 W / meter. so -

10cm - 50cm: Power Supply 12 Watt
50cm meter - 1.5 meters: Power Supply 36 Watt
1.5 meters - 2.5 meters: Power Supply 60 Watt
2.5 meters - 3.5 meters: Power Supply 84 Watt
3.5 meters - 5 meters: Power Supply 120 Watt
5 meters - 8 meters: Power supply 200 Watt
8 meters - 16.5 meters: Power Supply 400 Watt
More than 16.5 meters: Use multiple power supplies

Note: If you want to connect more than 10 meters to a power supply, make sure that there is a direct connection to the power supply at least every 10 meters, to avoid loss of current in the LED Strip.

LED drivers are available at reasonable prices on ebay and amazon, just make sure you get one rated 20% above for safety.