What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollen Chucker or Breeder of home grow (not commercial)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had this question on "What crosses you plan to make, or made"...

So, curious, who is just pollen chucking and who is actually taking the time to find good phenos in America or Canada for their own stash?

What's the new 'flavor-of-the-month? My preference, old school strains. Love me fruity, Herer or Haze, Cindy or a few kushes. NL still a fave after all these decades.

Let's hear it folks!

I wood

I’ve been doing both in an approach I call hit or miss breeding.
Never had an obvious stellar male so I use whatever male gives me a good feeling, has desirable pedigree or nice traits. Seeds produced are then tested and assessed. Been very lucky so far, happy with most seeds produced.
Worked with malawi gold for two years before i figured out its not my favorite.
Made a few reproduction seed runs with many more to come.
Currently searching through tom hill haze, luang prabang, green haze honduran, and thunk.
Testing khmer gold and thunk crosses now while hanging on to males in the background.
I replaced my seed buying habit with a seed making habit.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@I wood- Hit or miss...likely with hybrids, different phenos.

I like that!!! Good luck! In all my years, I've not experienced Malawi strain(s). But any thing GOLD has to be good! Guerilla Gold, Danish Gold, Acapulco Gold!!! Right on!

YukonKronic

I started off pollen chucking with Zamaldelica fem and Guatemala and have enjoyed it so much I began trying to establish a genetic library to start some micro scale breeding.
ZamxGuatemala is currently split into sister lines at F3 with one being backcrossed to an exceptionally resinous Thai/Zamal Zam fem and the other being selected towards the phenotype with all the Zam trippyness and Guatemalan strawberry Terps and happy relaxed vibe.

I’m making crosses with as well as F2ing things like Bruce Banner Biker Kush (no sharing except crosses) GlueCherry Bubba Kush x PCK Spumoni a BUNCH of really great ACE genetics and other equally awesome shit I’ve missed.
This year is where I’m really planning to make a lot of seeds and none by accident.
You’ll be interested to know arid that if I can get my colloidal silver game working this winter I’ll be trying a little Auto breeding next season too.
I have Mephistos Forum Stomper and ACE Auto Zamaldelica is on the way:biggrin:

Edit: ....not sure which seed companies I’m supposed to name or not.. hope I didn’t just violate TOU.. I can edit something out if someone wants me to,

YukonKronic

@I wood- Hit or miss...likely with hybrids, different phenos.

I like that!!! Good luck! In all my years, I've not experienced Malawi strain(s). But any thing GOLD has to be good! Guerilla Gold, Danish Gold, Acapulco Gold!!! Right on!

You should try ACE Malawi.... I’ve only tried her in crosses but what power those phenotypes have!

mexweed

Veteran
I have an s1 stash from dispensary bud over the past few years, the two I've tried to pop and pollinate were successful, for my male I used a ganesh...north indianXafghan from mandala that I had from a long time ago, then used a male from the resulting f1 run for the second pollination, I don't do huge selections but I do select from maybe 6-10 plants, end up with a chosen male and female or two and ditch the rest

the ganesh was at least 5 years old and not stored in a fridge or anything special

I have grabbed some regular beans from a local place to try, so far have one fire female, but will definitely attempt to collect pollen from any males

recently grabbed a pack of bodhi's chem DX88g13/hp, will more than likely incorporate it at some point

hellfire

I found a great pheno in the Lashkar Gah x Swazi crosses I made. It was one of the frostiest things in the greenhouse. Sativa leaning looking leaves but a fast finishing and somewhat tight noded structure. The nose was great, very unique and pungently fruity but not in a specific fruit kind of way, a sweet dense aroma. Floral and spicy undertones gave away the landrace in its parenting. The taste was sweet and clean, almost like breathing fresh air through a bouquet of flowers in the joint. I barely trimmed it because it was full of sugar heh. I have a few pictures of it. One friend remarked on how thick the smoke was. I did not however get a clone but have many seeds to search through for more stellar expressions :dance013:

Carraxe

Veteran
I make selections, as big as I can. Sometimes I choose one or two between 50 females to keep breeding with the plants I like. You can have a look into my threads.

But I'm in Europe.

Cheers

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I play around with pollen chucking, but I have never found the Unicorn of Cannabis. I also buy a few packs of seeds so I get the variety.

“Worked with malawi gold for two years before i figured out its not my favorite.” —I wood

What did you not like about it for breeding?
Were you using males or females, or both?

bushed

Making your own crosses is so rewarding and i think like most people around here I went on a seed buying sprea so have plenty to work with.

My current grow is gorilla glue s1's x ugorg blues, the results look outstanding, as good as seeds that sell for $150 a pack these days. They have the smell of glue but the smell is so much louder from the blues. The plants look so good im consideting ditching the hassle of clones altogether and just making seeds every year.

I wood

“Worked with malawi gold for two years before i figured out its not my favorite.” —I wood

What did you not like about it for breeding?
Were you using males or females, or both?

It was finicky to grow, prone to powdery mildew and had a tiring comedown. I was pretty new to sativas at the time and have learned to deal with pm but the tiredness was unacceptable.
The tiredness and mold issues were passed to all tested offspring.
(haze x cronic)x malawi gold

Good weed but Im after a cleaner reentry. I grew a handful of aces malawi crosses and found them to be very similar and moved on.

q3corn

Wadup!

I'm totally in the make-my-own-strains camp! Sometimes it was just whatever male existed, but when I got to growing F1's and making F2's, that's when picking a male out became a really fun project. My most recent project was a choice Purple Goat male which I pollinated a Jack Herer, Gelato, Chuy, and Candyland. After that, I lost all of those plants, but I got the seeds still!

My most exciting and thorough project was a Sour Urkel x Vulcan cross. I've grown easilly 100 of those beans out, and have a good idea which traits to pick out for my F2 generation.