What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

variegated cannabis

igrowone

Veteran
been growing out a seed of my own making, watching some strange things
it seems i have a variegated plant, not unhealthy looking
patterned with darker green and lighter green, not white which would probably result in a less vigorous plant
pictures later as plant matures and shows up better in my cheap camera pics
but if anyone has any experiences with variegated cannabis, comment/post pics or whatever, supposed to be fairly rare

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have seen it in varying degrees. had no impact on product. there are quite a few pics floating around ICMag.

igrowone

Veteran
i have seen it in varying degrees. had no impact on product. there are quite a few pics floating around ICMag.

i did search IC, didn't really see what i'm seeing in my grow chamber
but i'll research some more, what i saw in searches were plants with some distortions or mutant looking

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In my communications with Yosemite Sam concerning Jack's nutrients, he mentioned in passing that low iron sometimes caused variegation and that getting the level up to about 3-4ppm took care of it. I don't know if this is applicable in your situation or not, but I thought that it was interesting.

igrowone

Veteran
i will post the grow log link, small plant and pic not so good, but you can get a hint if you zoom in
and i had looked into the nutrient deal, i do see that can happen, i don't think it's a nute issue but should become clear as grow progresses
this plant did spring from a hermie line, the father is not completely clear, could be a male hermie which was another bit of strangeness
link: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=5194375

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

igrowone

Veteran
thank you phillthy, those are some good pics of variegation, the last pic is pretty cool looking, that's like a garden ornamental of some kind
mine is probably closest looking to pic 2, but with a greener color for the lighter parts

WelderDan

Veteran
I see a that trait quite a bit in my LUI/Blue Moonshine plants (in both the F1 and f2 gen) as well as in some Killer Queen stock I have.

Usually it's one side of a leaf on several leaves.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The plant in the last pic was feminised Blueberry , and turned out to be a male , passes on the trait to many of the progeny , a real genetic freak , thought it was TMV at first.

igrowone

Veteran
The plant in the last pic was feminised Blueberry , and turned out to be a male , passes on the trait to many of the progeny , a real genetic freak , thought it was TMV at first.

that is the most dramatic picture i've seen in my searches, TMV seems often suspected when the variegated trait shows up
a duckfoot cross with that male could have been interesting - as in real freaky

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was kept going till last year , several simple crosses showed very negative traits seemingly locked to the leaf mutation and generally poor plants , and was not pursued.

igrowone

Veteran
Was kept going till last year , several simple crosses showed very negative traits seemingly locked to the leaf mutation and generally poor plants , and was not pursued.

that was my concern, was it just a sickly mutant with funny colors?
at the moment, i'm seeing a strong looking plant, the color bands don't seem to have any pattern, varies from leaf to leaf
there is 1 leaf that is very cool, one side of it is dark green, the other side a lighter green
pics later, hoping the cheap camera captures some details

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry foomar. couldnt remember where i got the pic. my apologies for not givin ya photo credit ;)

igrowone

Veteran
I see a that trait quite a bit in my LUI/Blue Moonshine plants (in both the F1 and f2 gen) as well as in some Killer Queen stock I have.

Usually it's one side of a leaf on several leaves.

i have more plant to examine, and sounds something like your experience
color difference not as pronounced as some of the strange looking beasts shown
but some of the leaves have the darker green on one side of leaf, and lighter green on the other side
plant nodes kind of oriented at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions, the one at 6 shows it the clearest
central large leaf is all dark, smaller leaf to the right is half and half

Attachments

• day16.jpg
    day16.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 52

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No problem mate , did not recognise it at first and thought someone had found another one.

That one was quite pronounced with mirrored variegation along the leaf axis repeated on all leaves with the same intricate pattern , had very few but huge male flowers , female progeny had tiny scattered budsites and other issues , would have took a lot of effort to work into something usefull but might still find a decent girl in the seeds , space permitting.

Would hope one of the (C99xBlackberry) X Blueberry Freak seeds produces a viable plant with colour and leaf trait , would be an eyecatcher for sure and worth popping a hundred to find.

The Revolution

Veteran
I have one Chem Sis x Neville haze that is variegated directly down the center of the Leaf Blade. Half is healthy and green, the other is healthy and yellow;) Kinda cool gene marker

Gano

interesting note, many variegation in plants cause the lack of chlorophyll to grow seemingly faster than the green counter parts. Have heard a lot of theory but not sure if its true or not as to reasons why. This especially obvious in succulent plants. I would think a variegation in flowers while leaves remaining more green could maybe be a good advantage.

But heavy variegation also does cause overall plant speed to drop, which is more obvious in perennial plants, so I not sure about this species and its relevance