What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

South Africans roots

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hello,

Iam start to learn SA strains and would like to see as much as possible greens to get ideas and roots knowledge...
Namibia, Durban and others SA, Swazi, Mozambique and further North to Malawi and Angola (Madagascar zamala too). It would be cool to compare it all, peace. :)

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Nice!
You never stop my friend.
I got a few Malawi Gold, Etiopian, and South African crosses that i tested in my Moroccan project. Sadly all labeling was lost but i still have a few in my seed vault ;)
When i have pics of any of mine i will bring them over here.
All the best for you brother

irie-lion

I have some from Malawi and Swazi I got during a trip in my Fridge ...
Planted the Malawi once, but its more suitable for breeding it seems to me. Doesn't yield much, but its incredibly comfortable with not getting watered :D

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
I got a few Malawi Gold, Etiopian, and South African crosses that i tested in my Moroccan project.(...)
Look forward to your Marrocos spot amigo Paulo, the MG and SAs pix are fully welcome to document and describe those Africans shapes, tastes and greens bro. Thx :ying:

I have some from Malawi and Swazi I got during a trip in my Fridge ...
Planted the Malawi once, but its more suitable for breeding it seems to me. Doesn't yield much, but its incredibly comfortable with not getting watered :D
Hi welcome :)
With my little expérience the opposite in everything remains... For example i know that Malawi can yield sometimes and sometimes can be a bit hallucinogenic so not very comfortable :D But truth that the high is mostly clear and incredibly ;)
Come back with photos and comments amigo :artist:

Sounds for fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPD00baq2hA&feature=fvwrel
++

irie-lion

hmm, maybe I should simply try my luck again and pop one seed for next grow ;)
I actually was a bit dissatisfied by the performance last time, but your comment gives me hope that I did not smuggle those seeds in vain :D

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Cool!

So try your luck with Swaz too, nice expériences anyway and great potent.
That's a hash African stuff with dark taste but incredibly high too, genetically close to the Malawi i think. But don't really know how the cannarelationship has evolved over time. My feeling is that growers of Swaziland would have made exchange seeds with those in Malawi many many years ago. What is interesting historically is to know what is the origin of, from South or North ? ..

Swazi Red details, 2 kind of shape "lance" and "christmastree". Blue greens from stretch sometimes and well resin specimens may appear. Dark hash cigar tastes but sometimes with long curing it's better, a slight smell of lemon and honey but only during cultivation.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I've grown alot of africans landrace vars out in the last 10 years indoors and some just don't like the comfort of a grow room and do much better in the great outdoors or a greenhouse.Indoors, outdoor landrace vars only produce very small trichomes that are hardly visible to the naked eye but there are some plants from the same batch which will produce perfectly well indoors and a metal halide seems to bring out the best in them.
The plants that yeald well but produce small trichomes can make good breeding stock buy its trial and error.African seeds Malawi gold can produce very well indoors and you can still get the as the seedsmans malawi is from old african seeds stock(its been re-named tho but not hard to find)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I think it is safe to say that there are atleast two main layers of genetics in the genepool. Before the British, and after the British and the immigration of thousands of Indian workers.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hi Thule :)
Yep bro pre-colonial side is my goal but also think to evaluate the wave according to British and Indian then but while thinking also to other Indian and Asian waves may be older..
We return to the issue of distant origins of cannabis, both from the north of Asia but also in the south and Indonesia. Then the migration of Austronesian peoples to Madagascar and southern Africa. Finally its just hypothesis but (?) I find it interesting, like proto-history vibes :) ++

Austronesians migrations :
picture.php

Last glacial vegetation : (Thules's map Thx bro)
picture.php

Tropical grasslands in green^^

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
To continue on this theme and history Austronesian we know it stopped at Madagascar. For dates known the map above shows +300, things that have been dated etc but I think the Indonesian migrations of peoples took place well before that date and that a meeting with the East coast of South Africa was quite likely. Very difficult to find today because these people had an oral transmission of culture. To dig the story must be both an archaeologist, anthropologist, linguist, biologist, etc. difficult to gather all these scientific skills. Must be able to surf superficialities and have deep knowledge to connect the clues. This is why the ancient history of southern Africa and Madagascar is somewhat lost today and almost impossible to refind.

For South Africa the ancient language is the Khoïsan, spoken by Bushmen. It exists today only in the South West Africa, Namibia and Botswana mainly. However there are still small groups in Kenya and Tanzania. It is easy to deduce that this language was that of the past in Southern Africa. Bantu peoples from the heart of Africa and Zulu tribes are then lowered to the opposite shores of Madagascar and drove slowly to the south of the Khoisan. Then it is the whites who came from the south and the Khoisan culture found itself stuck in a cultural vise before disappearing and being absorbed. Except in the Kalahari region, where they had to take refuge!?

picture.php
picture.php

From a physiological and morphological point of view I find that these Khoïsan peoples eyes are slightly slanted, they are also small in stature, skin clearer too. Quite comparable to the peoples of the highlands of Madagascar and some types Indonesian or Papua New Guinea! I think it's interesting to study, a proto historical perspective.

http://www.esaach.org.za/index.php?title=Khoisan_Oral_Literature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6gShIToSQ&feature=related

Now during that time very old, had the Khoïsan peoples cannabis in their culture (dagga) ???
Maybe a check with the ancient shaman of Namibia would be nice. :)

ps : Vibes Kerala and Tiki seeds for the Bambata au passage! :smoke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfSHkRBjQHQ

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Kerala about the Namibian Tiki's Bambata ;) Thx

(...)
it comes from the north of Namibia, the north east to be precise. Where there is water.
it's actually a common strain with Namibia, Zambia, Uganda and Botswana.
It's an irrigated area, therefore with a lot of cultivation
the one we got was actually quite small for an african sativa
not more than 1.5m with a dense flowering for this kind of Strain.
the high is the same as the Bambata and common with a lot of African
a very speed high, which is more physical than mental.

k.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=222126

Jahg's out too ; Thx
hello all,

ciskey

durban Ss

best vibes
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=32313

++

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Another theme of reflection that came to mind, wibes bro GrowDan ;)

We thought of the dog breed called the "Ridgeback"", known as the oldest breed of herding against the lions in South Africa.
So there is also crests and ridgeback dogs in Thailand!!! :ying:

picture.php

There is really a deep an exciting history before the history of white men and our Judeo Christian civilization!
Boats, sails and nomad dreams have simply been around as long as man is man...
:smoke:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
back to cannabis... :moon:

Thx to Panta' alias PTG for this old quote by Derrayld (African seeds) ;)

"I live and grow in a Coastel stretch called the Wild Coast where you will find Durban and the Transkei, 2 major growing regions in South Africa and the World.
So I am exposed to many different variaties of DP, Swazi, Kei, Malawi, Lesotho, etc.

Here is a simple run down of a few and best growing conditions:

The flowering times are generally longer and the plants will like their space more than a hybradised skunk for example which will grow smaller.
The highs all tend to be smooth, euphoric, crasy highs.
Bright colours, very enjoyeable.

Swazi-
tends to be a chunky bud or a long slender bud.
With big thick resinous buds ala Hashplant.
This bud grows with an unmistakeable hashy consistency and a deep hashy odour.
I`ve grown swazi that looks, tastes and smokes different.
You get your chunky orange buds, your dark green sticky buds, etc.
All good and all an awesome stoning.
I find swazi to be more of a cerebral couch lock while still being sativa.
Almost more of a concentration herb.
Swazi generally grows in a nice bush, short stocky but can become big and fat.
Varies between Long slender buds and short chunky nuggets ala Northern lights.
Swazi SKunk, Swazi red, Swazi, etc.

Durban Poison-
I find grows in different forms as well from a big-headed variaty to my
favorite being a small headed strain that litterally makes you dizzy you`re so high, this is the one used to make the famous suger-sticks.
The well spoken about aniceed(sp) flavour persists with any DP variaty.
This year I`ve been working with a rare DP that grows with pink hairs rather than white.
Interesting strain.
Always leaves you feeling soo happy.
The Durban I have grown is generally alot longer flowering than the advertised DP from seedbanks wihich has SK#1 to help it along.

Transkei & Lesotho-
Lesotho Mountains are also in the Eastern Cape.
Transkei is also in the eastern cape.
Lesotho and Transkei buds are awesome, both with a strong fruity aroma and taste with a serious stoning.
Varying between cerebral high and downright silent stoning.

The thing with the Transkei is that you can walk in the hills from village to village and hut to hut and in each hut you`ll most likely experience vastly different bud.

You can however identify a few generally superior strains.
Cofee Bay, being a dark green , red haired bud.
With a soft smokey smell and a lovely guava after taste.
Delivers one of the most intense stonings I`ve ever had.
I had to lie on the floor because I kept falling off the chair.
I couldn`t even sit on the floor because I kept falling over.

Undumbi between coffee bay and port st johns will be where you`ll find the largest variaty of bud anywhere.
I`ve walked in fields of purple and yellow and then gone a minute down a hill and walked in a field of nothing but sticky lime green buds with the odd Thick Swazi plant thrown in.
Undumbi I find is a very fruity taste, very sticky and a lovely light green colour.
Also one of my favorites more for sheer enjoyment of smoke than the actual high.
I personally will not always grow the strongest herb but will grow a particular herb if it stands out to me.
I find Undumbi normally will grow with some seriously resinous sticky buds that are just too good and tasty to ignore.

Then comes Port St Johns between Durban and Undumbi Area.
This will either be a cross between Kei and DP or straight DP genetics.
The differences are easy to note with DP having a smaller , typical sativa style leaf.
The transkei being a larger leaf with thinner leaf patterns.
The Bud can vary between Large sticky buds to your perfect smaller DP that is quite honestly scary sometimes.
The kind of herb that makes you dizzy or go blind for a few secs.
We grew a christmas tree Pt St Johns that smelt and tasted of Ice cream.

Malawi -
Most Malawi is still to this day found in cobs which is the malawi heads wrapped in a Mealie leaf and cured like this.
Awesome stoning, very cerebral while incredibly powerful at the same time.
A trait of many SA strains is the powerful sedatory effects.
Not like an indica but more of a very warm positive stoned feeling.
Very relaxing
Malawi is great, with a positivly amasing earthy, hash smell.
Like good Red or Gold Seal.

Congo Black was some of the darkest herb I`ve ever seen with a monster hash aroma and taste while still beeing fruity.
Massive massive seeds.
The congo in my opinion is very closely related to Swazi.
It is a very similar stoning.
The darker appearence is what distinguishes it and ofcourse the seeds.
However a sign of a good swazi is also massive seeds.

Almost all African Strains are generally long flowering plants and are big yielders when grown correclty and pruned well for maximum bud exposure.
The also like to be bent and tyied and in general made to work."

"Strain report on Swazi and it`s myriad of local crosses.

So from my experience I`ve noted 2-3 different variances.
Firstly my favorite, swazi skunk.

Swazi Skunk- grows in nice long, thick, very chunky indica like buds.
Grows in lovely autumn colours, red, oranges, light greens, etc.
The tastes is nothing short of hashy, yet fruity.
The bud itself is very compact and scissors are need to cut through the crystal laiden arms
The plants I find can vary from short stocky plants to tall lambsbread trees.
The High is a very strong cerebral high with more of a couchlock effect than most strains.
The smoke leaves a fantastic Afghan hash taste in the mouth.
The nature of the High and look of the bud leads me to believe there is a slight indica hybrid somewhere in it`s family tree.
One of my favs.

Swazi red - is a far greener, almost dark green to black.
Covered in red hairs as well as a good crystal count.

The bud tends to grow in massive thick buds, they look like thousands of hairs neatly packed in breadloaves.
I`ve seen this plant grow from short stocky christmas tree, to massive trees with thcik heavy buds that look just like bread loaves, in shape and thickness.
The smoke tends to be a very earthy taste and after effect.
With a controlled, smooth high.
More of a sativa in this one and the high prooves it.
Now I wouldnt sya it is a very strong strain but if you like very smooth focussed highs then this one is a keeper.
I smoke loads of this herb and always find I can continue daily tasks quite easily while still feeling a pure high.

Swazi Gold - this is very closely related to the Swazi Skunk but I feel the bud is even more indica based than the previous 2.
Very chunky bud with an incredible long lasting smell that you can`t get rid of.
I had a kg of this herb in my boot for a week and after that there was no removing the smell from the upholstry.
It`s awesome.
The bud itself is super strong with an incredible smoke and high.
One of those buds you smoke and while your smoking you allready know by the taste that the high is gonna be great.
The seeds as with other swazis are massive dark brown seeds.
Vigirous growth and dark purple stems.

Swazi Gold and Swazi SKunk, although similar are vastly different in taste and high.
Swazi Gold is a more intense couchload(head mash) while the Skunk is a nice combo of the 2.
The bud is low in leaf, while the Swazi green is a higher leaf to calyx ratio.

As with most South African Genetics, this bud grows failry odourless until middle to late flower and into harvest when it takes on a fantastic smell and taste.
Only compareable to a good gold seal hash."

"Zimbabwe Rooibaart -

This bud was a pure sativa smoke with a serious narcotic stoning.
Small nuggets covered in red.
A very smokey taste.
But the high is very heavy and narcotic, leaves you quiete and dazed. Left my friend's mom asking him if I was taking any medication because I looked wasted.
Very good herb and very strong.
Not one that makes the rounds too often though."

Cape town bagseed #1 by PTG, swaz presume...
picture.php
picture.php

:thank you:
They are presumed swazi,comes from buds bought at Cape Town.The reseller is known to sold the best swazi buds right there(but those comes from the lowest quality available )...but as you know South Africa is full of weed growing all over the country,so it's not really clear on the origins,hence the name SA ,may i rename them SA CT...some phenos have a more indicaish effect than the other ones wich are more motivating, psychedelic but still not racy...taste vary from earthy/pine/licorice/anise on the indicaish to mango/green lemon on the sativaish one... (...) (PropagateThatGrass)

++

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Durban Poison-
I find grows in different forms as well from a big-headed variaty to my
favorite being a small headed strain that litterally makes you dizzy you`re so high, this is the one used to make the famous suger-sticks.
The well spoken about aniceed(sp) flavour persists with any DP variaty.
This year I`ve been working with a rare DP that grows with pink hairs rather than white.
Interesting strain.
Always leaves you feeling soo happy.
The Durban I have grown is generally alot longer flowering than the advertised DP from seedbanks wihich has SK#1 to help it along.

This is nice to read, as I dont see much about Durban on the forums.
Its interesting, your descriptions. This is the one and only strain I have grown for few years. And I too, have either big leaves, big cola's, more bushy than a true stretch. The second, smaller in general, smaller leaves, budsites, but a very covered in trichs. Its these smaller ones that taste the spiceiest and floral( grapey/citrus) to me.

The taller, big leaf plants have a majority spice smell to them. When squeezed, I get a real grapey/citrus.
These seeds I had gotten, were from an older gentlemen ( american )who went to fight in the Boer war/Rhodesia. Interesting dude for sure rofl

But overall, its the smaller plants that kick my ass.
The high of my Durbans are up, sometimes anxious, and a mello come down. A smooth transition, something I can very productive with.

Anyways lol, it was very nice to see your post.:blowbubbles:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Very nice post my brother Roms... S African strains are indeed very interesting, not only because their reduced flowering comparing to the lines from countries around the equator but also because of their particular effects and cannabinoid profiles.

I think Africa has still many stuff to offer to the cannabis world... in my opinion, i'm sure it has still lots of potential and interesting unknown strains and contrubutions. Many african strains, have a very special cannabinoid profile, very different to american or asian ones. This has a great potential not only for growers but also for the medicine investigation.

It's a pity that there aren't a lot of African strains avaiblable to investigate and explore... specially now that African Seeds and Afropips disappeared. Also the reputed spanish cannabis breeder and activist, La Mano Negra had a great impact in preserving, studying and showing the world all those african beauties.

Its our task to follow their path... :)

numide

Veteran
Hi
Nice thread Roms, :tiphat:

Here is my Swazi (Jedi) just before the cut
This is not the best producer but buds are full of trics and the smell is spicy:yummy:

maj011111018.jpg

maj011111017.jpg

maj011111019.jpg

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Yoplaa

Yoplaa

Jahg' ; Great SA garden, beautiful! maybe Swaz' next year... :D

TripleDraw27 ; Thx for your input and expriences, much appreciated! :tiphat:

Mustaf' ; Yeah bro big big up to La Mano Negra, Afropips and few others to better identify and maintain these African beauties land race available for everybody! :)

Numide ; Nice specimen thx to see! a cut from Afropips seeds? It looks a bit like the one I kept too, including colored stems and large resin content. Welcome around for suites near Freaks K+

:smoke: