What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flower room re design help

Earlmarne

I think it's time. I currently have a 5.6 ×7 ft vert room built into an an 11 × 11 foot room, ruining 2 bare 1k bulbs.
I am implementing a ppk system after this run in flower as I have in veg so I figure I should knock down a wall while I'm at it.
My idea thus far is to build a 7×11 Flower room, leaving 4×11 lung room. Partially due to slanted roof. It goes from 11 ft to 8.
I have learned a lot since I first started about a year ago and want to tackle a few of the issues I have run into since.
Humidity control I see playing a massive role in plant health and speed of growth. I built my flower room with a 12" exhaust on a thermostat with passive intakes into my flower room. So I move a lot of air to keep temps in check, in so doing I have very low ambient humidity so I believe I want to run a sealed space.
I have a 60 amp panel to run veg and flower, I fix on growing trees to stay within my 15 plant limit.
I guess I just need a lot of insight.
I sealed off my veg rooms intake and exhaust to bring humidity up and have implemented co2 on a timer til I can afford a controller. I figure I should run co2 in flower also if I'm going to be sealed.

Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted some back story or whatever.
I want to run horizontal scrog like D9 or similar.
I figure with 11 ft in length I could do a 5×5 scrog under a de 1000 on both sides and have an isle down the middle but am wondering if a 3rd light in the middle would be wastefull?
I fix on getting some of the ac/ de hoods. I have a few 6" in lines fans an 8 and a 12. I am Hoping I can run the 8 through the hoods directly outside exhaust and intake but idk if that is enough?
I've got an 8k but window a.c., I feel like with vented hoods this should cover cooling but again am not sure.
Honestly not positive on how to run my lung without any exhaust leaving my flower room?
I figure that I should run my co2 bottle in flower instead of investing in a burner
I've got a 4 plant site system set up in veg. Not positive I can grow big enough girls in 9 weeks to fill that much floor space with only 4 but think I can come close and am open to adding to more sites if it becomes apparent that I need to.
I have yet to purchace de ballasts or the hoods but will start getting it together once I got a more solid plan nailed down.
You guys have been bad ass, all these threads inspire the hell out of me. Thanks in advance for any insight that you guys can off. Again sorry for the long winded sit, just trying to give an idea of what I'm trying to do. Hopefully I presented it a little less erratic than it is in my mind

Speed of green

the 8k wont cut it with 4 DE's not even air cooled. i ran a 8k with 4 SE 1000's air cooled and it barely kept up. id probably go with 14k minimum 18k on the safe side.

the 8' fan on the 4 lights should be fine if its 700cfm+

if you are going to seal the room and use CO2 then what would be the purpose of venting to the lung room?

with the ppk & DE's you are probably looking at a 6 week max veg to fill those 5x5's

here are some old pictures of my room this is before it was sealed, all i did to seal it was run the carbon filter as a scrubber, and the two ducts going into the plywood were intake and exhaust for the lights.

hope this is useful.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Earlmarne

the 8k wont cut it with 4 DE's not even air cooled. i ran a 8k with 4 SE 1000's air cooled and it barely kept up. id probably go with 14k minimum 18k on the safe side.

if you are going to seal the room and use CO2 then what would be the purpose of venting to the lung room?

with the ppk & DE's you are probably looking at a 6 week max veg to fill those 5x5's

here are some old pictures of my room this is before it was sealed, all i did to seal it was run the carbon filter as a scrubber, and the two ducts going into the plywood were intake and exhaust for the lights.

hope this is useful.

View Image View Image View Image View Image
Heck yeah, you think I could pull off 4 de lights?
I was thinking 3 max but wasn't sure if the 3rd would be a waste.
If I understand correctly I can get a 5×5 footprint . With 2 that would take up 10 ft of my 11. I'm just tossing around the idea of like turning 3 down to 750 and side by siding the 11 ft. Just don't really know.
I'm not sure on the practicality of a lung room anymore. It has served me well with my vert set up but this will be new on my.
Something else just came to mind. I will now need a dehumidifier for late flower. Any idea on what size I'd need?

Earlmarne

hope this is useful.

View Image View Image View Image View Image
You don't think I'm over estimating this ppk set up with running a 4 site system ?

Speed of green

why not ditch the lung all together and 11x11 flower?

if you are going to keep 7x11 then yeah 2 DE max & your 8k will be fine. no need for the third light.

with the four plant system will you run two ppk sites per DE?

sorry im a bit confused.

lets nail down the light and plant setup & then calculate the dehumidifier.

Speed of green

okay, for some reason i thought you were knocking down the wall and going 11x11.

in a 7x11 space 2 DE's and 4 plants will work nice, having two plants per light will cut way down on the veg time.

i would look in the 70 pint range for the dehumidifier.

will you duct your lights directly outside?

Earlmarne

okay, for some reason i thought you were knocking down the wall and going 11x11.

in a 7x11 space 2 DE's and 4 plants will work nice, having two plants per light will cut way down on the veg time.

i would look in the 70 pint range for the dehumidifier.

will you duct your lights directly outside?

That's what I've been thinking.
Filter on the intake side . 90 on the exhaust side

Earlmarne

I want to run 4 lights bad. I just think it'll bring my op into a lot more work and push me to the edge on cooling and power All together, not to mention room. I think the 8 ft side of my shop would screw me too with de lights.
Should be able to pull some good crops from 2 lights.
Been documenting this first ppk run due to being a novice gardener I don't want to screw anything up or miss something. I am really impressed so far. My gorrila bubbles are far from dialed. Mag deficient pretty fierce and up until a couple days ago my rh was around 20. Even so, in 3 day they have grown 6 inches taller.

Speed of green

you will be exhausting your a/c this way & you will not be able to use CO2 in the future if you ever wish to.

you can always play around with the ducting later, but if you were to intake and exhaust from the outside you will be more efficiently cooling your room.

Speed of green

ask yourself this.

is there a reason to keep the lung room?

you could tear down the wall and still only run 2 lights, then in the future if you want to expand and run CMH or LED or SE bulbs you already have the space and wont miss a beat between crops.

with 4 1000w lights wired @ 220v is 24a

a 18000btu window unit at 220v is 9 amps

you will have plenty of room electrically speaking.

I think you are smart to not jump right into the 4 lighter, but a little preparation/demolition now while the room is empty could make for a seamless transition in 6 months or a year when/if you are ready to expand.

Earlmarne

you will be exhausting your a/c this way & you will not be able to use CO2 in the future if you ever wish to.

you can always play around with the ducting later, but if you were to intake and exhaust from the outside you will be more efficiently cooling your room.

I follow, I fix on moving my air from an outside wall through the lights to an outside wall n run a 90 pointing down for rain protection.
Just figure I will need to filter somehow as to keep dust n shit from building up in the hoods. Not sure how you guys do it.

Speed of green

i dont know much about air cooled DE's other than the bulb has to stay hot or you will have some spectrum loss.

you could rig up a house filter from HD, or you could get some 40/50 micron mesh.

the glass will get dirty over time regardless, i normally clean at the beginning of each grow and once in the middle, vinegar & microfiber/newspaper works well to not leave streaks or particles.

Earlmarne

These hoods for the de lights somehow don't pull air over the bulb. Not sure how they work honestly but seem to get good reviews.
I wish I had more power. I am looking at these new nanolux de double 600s so a guy can run a mh and an hps out of one ballast. If I had faith I could cool that room come summer off pick up 2 of em .
Seems with the bulbs side to side it would spread foot print wider. I dreamt up that if I utilized that extra width of footprint to go with my 7 ft width room I could jam 3 in there. Just wonder if a 4×6 scrog ×3 >in that room would be wasting some light. I want to maximize yield to watts but also hate larfy shit.
Then comes cooling. I thing I'd need a lot more a.c. than I have to cool them

Speed of green

I think the 630W CMH would be a good fit for your space, if i grew under artificial light still i would be looking at these or DIY LED's. The led's pay for themselves in a few years i believe.