What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many seeds per plant?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
There is no standard seed size with Cannabis, Skunk #1 is 50-60 per gram.
I have others that are over 800 to one gram and big ones that are 12 to one gram.

I have gotten a kilo of seeds from a single large plant, but 500 grams is a lot for most plants seeded. I prefer less seeds per plant as they seem to be better, larger and more viable, I also pollinate and then wait 10 weeks or more to harvest the seeds, I like them 100% done, they are viable much longer then seeds make quickly in 4 weeks and harvested. Many seed producers do not want to wait for reasons of space and time or to be able to use the deseeded flowers while in better shape, but I am sure seeds made quickly do not keep as long. To me the flowers are not as important as the seeds in a seed crop, my goal is/was quality seed.
-SamS

riddly

There is no standard seed size with Cannabis, Skunk #1 is 50-60 per gram.
I have others that are over 800 to one gram and big ones that are 12 to one gram.

I have gotten a kilo of seeds from a single large plant, but 500 grams is a lot for most plants seeded. I prefer less seeds per plant as they seem to be better, larger and more viable, I also pollinate and then wait 10 weeks or more to harvest the seeds, I like them 100% done, they are viable much longer then seeds make quickly in 4 weeks and harvested. Many seed producers do not want to wait for reasons of space and time or to be able to use the deseeded flowers while in better shape, but I am sure seeds made quickly do not keep as long. To me the flowers are not as important as the seeds in a seed crop, my goal is/was quality seed.
-SamS

less is better. so when you pollinate and wait 10 weeks or more to collect the seeds, after you've collected them, how long more do you wait before you're sure they're ready,done and more viable?
how long do the seeds made quickly keep for and how long do the others (the ones collected with no rush) keep for?
thank you for sharing this with me/us

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
They are done when I harvest the plant and separate the seeds, they have 100% germination at that point. I dry seeds in paper bags for a few weeks before storage.
I have seen 25 Kg bags of hemp seed that got hot and spoiled from the seeds being not dry enough before bagging.
-SamS

H

HaHaHashish

how long more do you wait before you're sure they're ready,done and more viable?

I like to pollinate so that the seeds get 6 + weeks to develop on the living tree and then I hang whole harvested seeded branches upside down for a month then remove the seeds. You can plant seeds from just harvested seeded bud, but you will get higher germination rates if you do what Sam suggests and air dry the seeded bud or the seeds themselves.

If you have to harvest a seeded plant earlier than 5 weeks after pollination then some of them will have low germination rates, so do this - harvest the whole plant by pulling it out of the ground (if practical), washing the soil off the roots with a hose then hanging the plant up to dry. That extra week or so hanging a dying plant can mean the difference between low or higher seed viability....Sam do seeds keep on developing on a dying/drying plant or am I seeing seeds just simply drying and appearing to be more developed?

By the way, it's so humid around here (and we can have constant rains every day for a month) that living seeded plants can have seedlings sprouting from buds after lots of rainy weather, I notice this happening every few years...next time it happens I will take a photo. When it does happen, I usually harvest, because if seeds are sprouting on the top colas then there\s been so much rain that potency will only get lower and mold is usually happening or is about to.