What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinkin bout goin vert? Here's what you might need

MyGreenToe

One thing I'll add about those great little fans:
Cut the grille off the front side of the fan. I doubt anyone has infants crawling around in their grow, so let's get all the airflow we can! An added benefit is that you can clean the fan blades without having to disassemble the thing. I initially tried to just remove the front half and run it like that, but it's too flimsy. So it's better to leave the two halves together and cut out the grille. That way the fan stays solid but u get max airflow.

Cool thread. It should get a sticky, and Marlo should maintain an updated list of the best stuff people suggest, in the first post. (haha you made the thread you do the work bro!)

Keep it Green
MGT

mrheadie

im inspired every day by you guys over here in the ver section. 12-13 more weeks til the switch for me and i cant wait. i just pulled 880 (just under 1 per light, woo-hoo!) from 2 600 and i'll need to improve on those numbers which is def attainable. thx guys!

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great ideas guys.
All the props should go to UnknownProphet. This thread was his idea to start. All these things are usually taken for granted by us vert veterans, and can be really helpful in getting new vert growers past the first run jitters. Some of these things aren't thought of until a problem arises, and we need a solution.

Props to everyone who has contributed already!
:tiphat:

There used to be a thread about how to hang a light vertically. I haven't been able to find it yet, but i did find this cool method Texassativa posted to hang a light. He originally posted it as a method for cooltubes, but it looks like it will also work perfectly for hanging some bare bulbs. Very easy to attach a chain to the 4 corners of the grill. I might have to do this myself, cuz my lights are being hung by zip ties right now.

An east way to mount a mogul socket in a cool tube is to use a 4" computer fan grill. The socket is mounted to the grill using two screws and small fender washers. The grill has 4 tangs ,that can be bent, to bolt to a duct reducer. This is a real sloid way to mount the fan. A 120volt 4" fan can also be mounted to the grill. Just be carful on the screw length. They have to be just long enough to engage the threads and not be long enough to hit the base of the bulb. This works a thousands times better then metal straping. And the $135 store bought cool tube ain't built using one....which I'm sure to see this idea...soon.

We'll call it the "Light Grill Tech"

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great thread Marlo. I and countless others will definitely learn a thing or two in here. I can not compliment you enough, as you seem to be one of those growers who makes everything look so easy. Bravo.

Thanks bro. I only make it look easy cuz i don't show my fuck ups! Haha. Good luck makin the switch!

AugustWest

Veteran
thanks for this marlo & the rest of the vert folks!!

i have lotsa questions.. but it's the morning and my brain doesn't work till noon..

just wanted to say thanks for this thread, and for answering all of our questions.. y'all rock!!

CyrilSneer

really great thread Marlo.. thanks a bunch. 2 or 3 more days and I've got my room done. I'm stacking a 1000 over a 400 (or at least thats the plan.. temps will decide) in a 7x7 room with 7 plants vegged to roughly 30". I've begun training on my 30" high x 16" wide 'Marlo Screens' Made from wood and pipe cleaners *snicker* :) Actually turned out not bad.
Can you tell me the size of your screens? I'm really excited to get this going. :tiphat:

Sneer

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wsup Sneer. My screes are approx 12 x 30-ish. I don't remember exactly.
1k over a 4oo should be nice. Good luck bro!

K

kannubis

Great thread Marlo.
All one really needs to hang a socket is an angle bracket or a piece of plumbers tape bent into a loop and 1 "s" hook for a single chain dangler.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vert veg vs Flat veg

Vert veg vs Flat veg

Another topic alot of new vert growers are concerned with is, whether or not they should veg their plants vertically. I see this question asked all the time. I don't believe there is a correct answer, but there are a few factors you should consider when making your decision.

Veg'n your plants vertically will cause them to grow out towards the bulbs and promote strong lateral branching (because the sides are getting blasted with light).Most vert vets like to keep the bulbs slightly higher than usual to encourage the plants to still stretch upwards. The plant will also begin to develop a "front" and back" naturally. The front being the side facing the bulb(s). I like to start training the branches in the back to the front and/or clear out the rear foliage. (strain dependent) These factors may be positives or negatives depending on your overall situation, but you'll be able to take advantage of them or make adjustments if your prepared.

When veg'n horizontally plants tend to reach up for the light, and the lower branches are skinnier and slower to develop than new growth on top. Not a bad thing, it's been working for years. Topping and LST'n will get you plenty of branches if that is what you desire. Keep in mind your horizontally veg'd plant will take a day or two to adjust when it is switched to veg light. The fan leaves and branches will start to turn toward the light. The plant will start to show a front and back and you'll probably start some form of training at that time. Again, not a big deal, just another factor to consider.

In my opinion the most important factor is, what is easiest for you? If you have a dedicated flat veg room, it's probably easiest to go that route. If you only have one room, you can go straight from the cloner, into your vert setup. Everybody's situation is different and there are many methods that work well.

DISCLAIMER
I should have said this before.... Everything I'm posting up in this thread is only meant as suggestions based on my findings as a vertical grower. I'm still very new to this myself and make mistakes daily. Please feel free to point out any inaccuracies, alternate methods, or things I left out. I'm just tryna share the love

Last edited:

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great thread Marlo.
All one really needs to hang a socket is an angle bracket or a piece of plumbers tape bent into a loop and 1 "s" hook for a single chain dangler.

hey, I use the ol' chain and "S" hook myself!

:thank you:

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Marlo, thanks man for actually making this thread a reality. :wave:

It is going to be so helpful to peeps like me who really want to give vert a try.

Now, I have a question for the vert crowd.

I run ebb and flow tables with 100% coco, like the simplicity and its ability to be let for extended periods if need be.

Anyone using vert with recirculating E&F? Where would you place your fan for cooling the bulb?
This would be run in a 4'x4' DR120, with ventilation already in the top of the tent.

I am open to trying individual smart pot style containers with blumats, and with these I have an idea of how I would do the basic setup. (Have my eye on Hundred Gram Oz's rig)

Just would be nice to use the setup and equipment I already have as much as possible.

Got some time before the current crop is finsihed and one of the tents is freed up to think this through.

Great openning so far with the thread, Marlo. :good:

The way you speak of it makes it seem much less intimidating to anyone who might be hesitant about a major overhaul of their grow styles.

Got myself a seat at the desk, with my notepad out.

I am so tagged to this one.

Thanks to all who contribute their experience and ideas to this thread.:ying:

Hey Amber. :tiphat:

I haven't seen anyone do vert over an ebb and flow table, but I dont see why it couldn't work. For example, if you have a 4x4 table you can arrange your pots around the perimeter and have the fan in the center sittin on a milk crate, or a pot turned upside down maybe?
Something like this.......

x= plants
o= fan

x x x x
x o x
x x x x

As to your other suggestion, the smartpots n blumats would be a sweet setup too. I think Sunnydog had a vert tent with blumats is coco. I could be wrong tho. I'll see if I can find it....

Nice thread, I'm about to go vertical, bought 5-1000w Quantums, and 10-8" Cooltubes months ago, gonna flip them in addition to the 1800 I'm already flipping. Been too busy with work to rework my growrooms, but I got laid off, so now it's on! "One door closes, another opens..." I'm thinking big plants. :tiphat:

I dig the PVC dealy-bobs, I made something similar for my Bio-Buckets (which one side of the 1800 lit, and will get light from the 1000's now too!), made a modular scrog for each bucket lid, this allowed me to lift each one individually to check for roots in the drain. Great minds think alike! ;) :wave:
Yes, great minds think alike.
You gotta post some pics of that grow when you get it goin bro. Sound like its gonna be a nice one.

ambertrich

Veteran
Marlo, that is a simple yet great idea, using a milk crate for the fan in the middle of the table.
:thank you:
Give me a few months for the table to get freed up from the current lineup, and I may be the first to document a vert E&F setup.

But, this thread has me psyched about going vert, so I may have to throw together a drip setup with blumats whle waiting.

Great work with the thread :good:

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How big are your pots Amber? How big will the plants be?
You'd have to think about how you gonna hold up all that bud! Stakes? or a tomato cage like Budboy has......

This sound like a good idea.
Somebody needs to try this asap.

Mr West runs E/F tables right?? Hmmmm

Devlove

Just got Ebb and gro buckets and set up a vert with them as they are essentially ebb and flow which is what I like best. Kind of pricey but I got the hook-up on craigslist for $220 for the whole package. Posting my new thread now, check it out Amber. Thanks for posting this Marlo, always helping out.

Marshall

i never have run vert. I have a question about using a E&F table though. With a 4x4 table, it seems like the space isnt wide enough with 48". By the time you put the plant in with a pot of 8" on each side. that leaves 32". Then with the plant leaning in and a net that leaves 24". then the bulb. so its less than 12" from the bulb to the plant.

just seems like the plants would be too close to the bulb. I am thinking 1000 since that is what I have

or a screen could be setup around the outside edge of the table and the plants managed that way

I would like to try vert. I currently run 8x4 tables. this would be a good way to give it a try

mrktwiz

Just got Ebb and gro buckets and set up a vert with them as they are essentially ebb and flow which is what I like best. Kind of pricey but I got the hook-up on craigslist for $220 for the whole package. Posting my new thread now, check it out Amber. Thanks for posting this Marlo, always helping out.

I'm like Poorboy (he did the CHEAPEST vertical setup I have every seen and JUST Fooking KILLED IT)...I LOVE Craigslist, I am searching for (2) 600 's with digi ballast's myself atm.

I saw your set up Devlove and it looks like it will be VERY interesting to see how it goes. Good luck!

T5 vegg vertical anyone?

T5 vegg vertical anyone?

i'm still vegging flat and flowering bare, can T5's be mounted for side lighting and start bulb orienting the plants sooner?

currently participating in reflector recycling program:

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts