What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3000W of COBS 8x8 with ethos collective and exotic genetix

Desert Hydro

Veteran
How are the tops of the colas doing that close to the lights? Mind sharing what strain made the concentrates along with starting weight/final yield?

the tops of the colas are fine. no bleaching what so ever. the COBs dont even get hot at all and the diode side. all the heat is pulled up and out through the heatsink. they do however experience symptoms that look like

deficiencies when run that close to the cobs. they could actually be deficient but i am feeding pretty heavy at the moment and its still showing. the veg tent showed this as well and the second i raised the lights up to like

two or three feet above the plants they are coming back to beautiful lush green again.

my dumb ass didnt weigh the material before hand but i think this tube holds about a pound if i remember correctly. havent used my closed loop in a minute. gonna fire it up again tonight after i get some coffee in me and get focused!

still have to transplant a few chem d cookies into half gallon pots and make room for them in the veg tent and then hook up drippers for everything since i will be gone for a few days. gonna be a fun night.

the two strains in the extract are ethos collective blackfire and exotic genetix future. smells amazing. just need to vacuum it now but i dont know where my vacuum chamber is. its been a while.

Just got done with a qp myself. 18.5% return from a mix of sour diesel and super lemon haze. Turned out really nice. I'm probably going to finish the current run and then pull the trigger on a cob setup for my bloom tent. I'm thinking 600w of light in a roughly 3x4.5 foot area should rock. Here's the final on second run of the qp.

Attachments

• 20170422_181958.jpg
    20170422_181958.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 8

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Just got done with a qp myself. 18.5% return from a mix of sour diesel and super lemon haze. Turned out really nice. I'm probably going to finish the current run and then pull the trigger on a cob setup for my bloom tent. I'm thinking 600w of light in a roughly 3x4.5 foot area should rock. Here's the final on second run of the qp.

nice! was it nug run or trim? mine was trim and larf. truth be told there was a bit of decent nug in there but some of the phenotypes werent dense or keepers so i just bucked them off the stems and into the hash pile for a glorious death :)

Ha ha that was a mix of primo nugs, B grade nugs, and larf. Super dried with dehumidifier and cured. I hand crumble, remove stems, and then into the tube it goes. First run is bho. I'll run material a second time with qwiso for giggles and shits.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i am so fucking happy with how these LEDs are performing. they arent without a learning curve, thats for damn sure but if you do your reading and listen to the pros it helps!

seriously, what more can you ask for????? these are ROCK HARD. i could probably hurt someone if i threw one of these hard enough lol. so gorgeous! i cant wait to get them tested!

first pic is ethos collective blackfire and the rest are ethos harambe. these three are my top keepers so far along with my chem d cookies.

Attachments

• IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 16

eric2028

Veteran
i am so fucking happy with how these LEDs are performing. they arent without a learning curve, thats for damn sure but if you do your reading and listen to the pros it helps!

seriously, what more can you ask for????? these are ROCK HARD. i could probably hurt someone if i threw one of these hard enough lol. so gorgeous! i cant wait to get them tested!

first pic is ethos collective blackfire and the rest are ethos harambe. these three are my top keepers so far along with my chem d cookies.

Your plants look great! I seen your post in the jacks thread. I was wondering what ratios you run. Looks like you have it dialed in nicely.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Your plants look great! I seen your post in the jacks thread. I was wondering what ratios you run. Looks like you have it dialed in nicely.

right now i run jacks 321 but in a bumped up strength. i think i run 4.2/2.8/1.4 grams per gallon of jacks part a, part b and mag sulfate.

this equates to 1.1 ec of part a, .7 ec of part b and .3 ec of epsom salts for a total ec of 2.1 or 1050ppm.

i think the issues i am seeing that look like deficiencies are more so cause by the close proximity of the lights. COBS are tricky. they run so cool on the diode side that you would think they can be right on top of the plants(which they can to some degree) but i think they are so intense they start to show signs of light stress that look similar to deficiencies. there is no bleaching at all but you do get other reactions for sure. either way i have BIG colas just a couple inches from the lights and the only ill effects are tacoing of the leaves. other than that they are happy and healthy.

Oysters

i am so fucking happy with how these LEDs are performing.

Very nice work - mechanical, electrical and vegetable. Saw in another thread that you're thinking about LED+PPK. I run a diy light with 6 3590s in a 3x3 tent one plant at a time using ppk and it works great. Practically runs itself. Go D9's way and you'll never look back.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
two different citral flo and then my chunky ass flat top quattro kush thats got some FUNK on it. yield looks like garbage on the QK but quality is up there lol. gonna start tapering down the nutes tonight. flush in about a week.

Attachments

• IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1965.JPG
    IMG_1965.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1964.JPG
    IMG_1964.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1963.JPG
    IMG_1963.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 27

Desert Hydro

Veteran
chopped and looking amazing! super dense and heavy. these 38w COBS absolutely killed it!

Attachments

• IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2033.JPG
    IMG_2033.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 17

Kozmo

Veteran
Wow DH, nice job. Looks like a good reason to grow a third arm between your shoulders to pat yourself on the back with. Your SOG will look proper with the right choices you'll make after this one. How deep do those pretty nugs go? 1 1/2-2 feet deep? Reel solid killer nugs? I am very curious to know so I can build one like yours. Two actually for a 4x8 bed.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
that one monster citral flo in the second picture is about a foot long of continuous bud and then big chunks underneath. im happy with penetration. with a proper SCROG these thing will be unstoppable. my trellis was merely for support on this round so the canopy was very uneven. didnt wanna tangle a bunch of new strains together and not be able to tell whats what when harvesting. these nugs are as solid as anything ive ever done with 1000w hps if not more. obviously the lowers arent as dense and should have been removed but this was a test run of all the new genetics and they were lollipopped only the one time.

i would say the top 18-20" are rock solid. super impressed with the first true test of the COBs in flower.

i am changing my grow style up a bit. gonna do bigger plants and one per 4x4 space on the floor and each plant will be scrogged. got ~750 sq ft to work with. it will be a mix of LED and HID until i can afford to replace all the HID. may take me a few months lol.

Kozmo

Veteran
Yeah, I've yet to take on those leads you shared with me as far as builds(busy) but do you have a new/future idea as far as next one/s? I'm pretty sure I'm ready to drop 3-5 g's on some builds.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Yeah, I've yet to take on those leads you shared with me as far as builds(busy) but do you have a new/future idea as far as next one/s? I'm pretty sure I'm ready to drop 3-5 g's on some builds.

lights or hydro systems? gonna build PPKs for my new grow site. just getting my caregiver shit in order right now. by the time i get all my patients in order i will be good for 60 plants. if i need more than that i will sign my wife up to double my plant count. i have a 750 sqft building and an 850 sqft building side by side. the 750 will be grow site one and the other one will be my office/workshop/trim area/dry and cure area as well. it will also house a few seed test plants and breeding projects if i go that route(definitely going that route lol).

if i need more room i will build into the next building but i would really like to keep them separate since the workshop will house untested strains and males for breeding.

i think from here on out i will focus on LED and DE CMH technology only. gonna be retrofitting my old hoods to do air cooled COBs and then when i run out of hoods i will start building quantum board lights. i would say that i need to drop at least 8k in lighting in the next 4 months lol.

stay tuned for a full grow site build

Kozmo

Veteran
I was looking into spending on some COB builds.
It'll be nice to watch your expansion flower.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
some harambe phenotypes. my best looking is also my best yielder :)

Attachments

• IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 17
real nice DH. Check out chilledledgrowlights for some other boards available, also the sunboard 240 is a canadian company too. real nice grow, congrats bro