What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using mint to overpower cannabis smell?

Xtensity

So I have an upcoming outdoor grow with 30-40+ plants that I'll soon be starting a thread for.... and there is a path that people seldom travel 30-40 feet away... I'm worried someone will smell them when they get big and start flowering...

I was reading though that you can plant mint and it will overpower the cannabis odor by far.. is this true? I couldn't find much information except that mint is really easy to grow and clone. If so how much mint would I need etc? What are you alls experiencing with this.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
no, its not true.
I grew lots of mints and spearmints. even a field of them wouldn't overpower a single smelly mj plant.

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
No way dude. I got a shit pile of mint in my yard it grows like a weed and when you get a hint of the smell of the plants rubbing off on your leg it smells a little skunky. It would just make your whole grow smell like G13Haze

JOJO420

Veteran
NO WAY.

NO WAY.

LOL, NO WAY,unless you planted in the middle of 500 acres of mint..Then maybe..

blackone

Veteran
Agreed - mint is too mild. Lavender might be useful - perhaps Buddleja is also an option?

blackone

Veteran
please don't plant buddleja in north America. it is in invasive and bad for native butterflies.
Yeah if it's an invasive weed it's better to stay away from it - we have a lot of problems with giant hogweed here in Europe.
Howcome it's bad for the native butterflies though? Here the butterflies love sucking their nectar and most people plant them for that.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
30+ plants <50 feet from a walkway? LOL! sorry to laugh but its going to REEK!

unless you put a sealed greenhouse over them with a carbon filter there is nothing you can do.

growing smelly flowers around it will just make it smell like you've got some bomb flowery smelling buds.