What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Powdery fucking mildew?

Dorje113

PM could certainly be systemic, the powder is just the fungus' reproductive organ and there are roots (mycelium) that extend from the powdery mold into the plant, extracting nutrients to feed the fungus. The mycelium will survive in the leaf, or possibly extend into the plants stems (some people report weaker stems with pm infected plants) despite having eliminated visible signs of infection due to use of any non-systemic fungicide. I believe it takes a systemic fungicide like Eagle 20 to actually kill off the mycelium inside the plant's tissue, otherwise it MAY (or may not) recur.

Fungus takes a build up of energy combined with the right conditions to "bloom" and actually be able to produce spores and the powder we all hate. This goes for mushrooms as well as molds. Sometimes the right condition occurs because of plant senescence (it dies at the end of it's cycle) or because of environmental conditions are favorable. The problem with the 1st scenario is that powder will show up as your plants are maturing which can ruin a crop. Also, the mildew blooms all over the plant simultaneously, it does not appear in one area and spread because IT IS NOT SPORES CAUSING THE OUTBREAK, it is mycelium that have been left alive inside the plant. This is why people report PM outbreaks when the conditions have been impossible for spores to germinate.

Once you have got rid of pm using a systemic fungicide, the plants will still be subject to spores unless you have a clean room. There's TONS of PM infected plants growing all around my house (that I need to kill somehow, or maybe Eagle them). Healthy plants and proper environments will keep the spores from being able to germinate. But they are there... waiting for their chance. I think it is harder for spores to infect a healthy plant than it is for mycelium to become active inside a plant from a partially cured previous infection, and the vector of contamination is COMPLETELY different. If PM shows up the last week of flowering it's probably been there a long time waiting for it's chance to produce spores.

I'm only speaking from my experience growing gourmet mushrooms and understanding their lifecycle. PM infection isn't as simple as most people think from what I can tell....

grapeman

Veteran
PM could certainly be systemic, the powder is just the fungus' reproductive organ and there are roots (mycelium) that extend from the powdery mold into the plant, extracting nutrients to feed the fungus. T

I guess it could be....but not in our universe.

I don't really care how confused you may be from reading wiki all night about PM. PM is a spore borne disease. It is not systemic. The "root" as you call it would have to enter in one leaf and travel through the stem and reappear on a different leaf for it to be systemic.

Dorje113

And more shit advice. I edited your post. It really was ALL full of shit, but the worst part is above. All the fungicides I have listed ARE systemic and WILL prevent re-infection for up to 30 days, clean room or not.

Why do you insist on posting garbage?

Yeah, I know that, why do you insist on being such an ass about it?

And after that 30 days is up, what happens? I don't know about you, but my plants flower for far longer than 30 days.

As far as it being systemic, it's root is exactly as I described. I don't know if it does extend through the plant but I think it's possible. The fact is, you can get rid of the "powder" and leave the mycellium alive, and it will likely reappear whether it fits your definition of systemic or not.

edited for niceness

FlipFlops

Milk DOES NOT WORK, Do not waste your time or money on MILK, once sprayed powdery will be back on yer plants the following day. INVEST in SOVRAN or another proper fungicide! Save yourself the trouble of trying to keep something thats ILLEGAL (ganja) healthy by spraying it day n day out with shit that doesnt work and ending up with a subpar product in the end. Grapeman should be awarded MVP when it comes to the POWDERy FUCKIN MILDEW! Thank you grapeman for spreading TRUTH and not some bogus organic methods that DO NO WORK. I repeat MILK DOES NOT WORK and is only a temporary fix for a fucked up problem! Bring out the heavy artillery.

@b$+r@c+

Okay folks. It's time for me to put my money where my mouth is and prove (or disprove) my earlier statements regarding sulfur vaping.

I've got a QUARTER INCH of PM on the outside of some root pots/smart pots (sitting in 4 inch deep 'casters')after hitting 50% RH for less than 12 hrs. I should also state that it was re-introduced to my space on a cutting of a not so resistant strain.

Nothing on the foliage yet thanks to my wonderfully low RH!

I will place 5-10 sulfur pellets in an old BC Vape and destroy any visible trace of this nasty shit.

I should mention, the straight coco is not affected, where the Roots Organics soilless is overwhelmed with the PM.

...and BTW Serenade seems to be a fucking joke. It's NEVER worked for me after three tries and different ways of application.