What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Auto Hydro...WTF!!!

CraftyApe

The one in the front is quite thin yea. There is a fair amount of stretch from the lights being higher but there were other much larger plants in there quite a while early on so there was not a lot I could do about it. Lack of space.

CraftyApe

30 days in flower and getting a bit of bulk

30 days in flower and getting a bit of bulk

Thirty days in since I took some advice and changed the light cycle and while a tangled mess they are beating the old average of 12-16 budsickles. The larger plant is around 31 inches tall and while I will not attempt to predict dry weight, it won't break records unless there is a record for this strain out there somewhere maybe. I will predict that it will take up two and a half decent sized jars after the cut and dry.

All in all, while the camera is shitty and the pics suck, the results will be loads better in hydro than in soil.

CraftyApe

Well at day 40 after the light switch to induce flower they were done.

Not sure what kind of results I would have gotten if I would have been able to lower the lights down to where they should have been all along, but the larger of the two, while still way too stretchy managed to yield about four times as much as I would normally get from this strain. That is the curse of not enough space and too bloody many projects going at once. Patients to provide for and what not.

(Ya know I will not begrudge the patients I am helping the time or effort on my part, hell even the money but a couple just wont learn to provide for themselves. I even offered to give them the equipment. They are just too intimidated by it. But I really wish I could free up this space cause I have a couple of kick ass projects I want to share with the group. Ugh. Oh well with the karma I am building for the next life I will be born a good looking mesomorph billionaire with a ten inch schlong and the stamina of an Olympian. Woohoo)

When it is dried and ready to pop in the jar in a couple days I will post some pics. Probably will put them alongside a pic of normal results from this strain to get a basis for comparison.
The verdict in the end is that I am not seeing much point in going back to soil. Seriously.

I still don't get how the transition from soil to hydroponics could cause the change in light requirements. And yea I know I should not have been running the autos on 7/24 to start with but they are in my vegging area and always worked out fine. Plus as you will recall Mdanzig is a proponent of the 7/24 scheme so what was the point of worrying about it if it was working? Anyway, transitioning to a 4 hour dark period in the vegging area does not seem to have hurt the growth of the non autos that are packing on mass so all will work out well in the future. Just wish that there were some genuinely scholarly works that could explain why it made a difference in an autoflower. What do have is experts with tonnes of experience that solved my problem, but I would dearly love a detailed technical explanation. Just don't think that whatever the botanical worlds equivalent of MIT is has taken up to many autoflowering cannabis projects so far. Hey! Who knows how to write grant applications?

Cheers

Last edited:

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
Well at day 40 after the light switch to induce flower they were done.
Not sure what kind of results I would have gotten if I would have been able to lower the lights down to where they should have been all along, but the larger of the two, while still way too stretchy managed to yield about four times as much as I would normally get from this strain. That is the curse of not enough space and too bloody many projects going at once.
When it is dried and ready to pop in the jar in a couple days I will post some pics. Probably will put them alongside a pic of normal results from this strain to get a basis for comparison.
The verdict in the end is that I am not seeing much point in going back to soil. Seriously.

I still dont get how the transition from soil to hydroponics could cause the change in light requirements. And yea I know I should not have been running the autos on 7/24 to start with but they are in my vegging area and always worked out fine. Plus as you will recall Mdanzig is a proponent of the 7/24 scheme so what was the point of worrying about it if it was working? Anyway, transitioning to a 4 hour dark period in the vegging area does not seem to have hurt the growth of the non autos that are packing on mass so all will work out well in the future.

Cheers

well done fella

i dont think it was the transistion from soil to hydro that caused the delay in flowering it was more to do with the light cycle,which did prove a point when you changed it

the light cycle does make a difference though just because mdanzig says to grow his plants under 24/7 of light doesnt mean all autos will fair this way from other breeders, im not knocking his information but he does only have 2 auto strains currently on the market available to the public and other breeders have far more to offer,so dont just listen to 1 persons advice and try and gain as much info as poss ` ;)

on the flip side im glad you enjoyed your adventures in the deep end and look forward to your bud shots :good:

peace

rangergord

Sorry Skotty, I have to disagree. IMO the hydro could indeed contribute to the delayed flowering. The nutrient solution is cooler than soil and there probably was much more room for unrestricted root development. 24 hour light is well established as adequate for all autoflowering varieties not just MDanzig's . I have a lot of autoflower experience outdoors and in. I have my own sativa dom autoflower variety along with LR 1 and 2 and some autos from Finland as well. They all flower within 2 -3 weeks indoors under constant light in soil. But outdoors in soil they often take up to six weeks to flower. They have more rooting space being in raised beds and the soil and growing environment are much cooler, especially at night. My outdoor autoflowers respond exactly like the OP's hydro autos. They grow much bigger before flowering sets in and the yeilds go up dramatically. There is one thing I have not done yet and that is grow autos in hydro. I intend to do just that as soon as possible in my flood and drain tray. I am hoping they grow more like my outdoor plantings.