What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Overwintering Outdoor Plants

Mark00

HI All;

I'm new to the forum; My name is Mark and I'm from France. Nice to meet you all. I hope to post those questions in the correct section.

I heard some people have years old plants in their outdoor garden.
After some readings and reflections I came to the conclusion that the process could be more or less like that:

- Harvest the buds, removing everything from the upper part of the plant, leaving on the plant the undevelopped buds and the fan leaves in the lower parts of the plant; this is because when the plant revives, it develops more in the lowerers limbs.
- Drastically decrease the water given to the plant have a lot less material to "feed" to avoid root rot, and add some N nutrients to promote vegetative grow
- Place some lights above the plants for extending the natural daylenght so they go back in the vegetative stage.
- Protect them from the frost (hay, straw, canvas or whatever).
- Keep give them artificial light until the spring.
- On spring work like when you start a normal grow cycle.

I was wondering if someone knows exactly how to do that so can give me some valuable info, corrections and suggestion.

Peace

Mark

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would be much simpler & cheaper to take clones & cultivate then indoors through the winter.

If your ground freezes in the winter your outdoor plants will likely not survive no matter what you do, short of building a greenhouse over them.

Mark00

Yes, I agree with you, cloning is easier and cheaper if your goal is to keep the specific plant genetics but my goal is another.
I know Cannabis is an annual plant so this is against her natural growing cycles but I want to understand how and if is advantageous to keep the same plant grow year after year to make her roots system and branches bigger and bigger and improve its yield year after year.

About freezing: yes I think a simple greenhouse and some straw on the ground around the plant can do the job.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Take clones first, then insulate plant as best you can.

If latitude freezes, it's likely the plant won't survive. In temperate climates, it's possible to keep a plant going, although typically,in nature, marijuana is an annual plant and usually lives only one season. This ranges from about five to 10 months. However, most varieties (except equatorials) are photoperiod sensitive.

In some sub-tropical and tropical areas there are still cannabis plants that live for several seasons. They flower each fall and then go into a period of slow growth. When spring arrives they start growing vegetatively again, then flower once again in the fall.

monsoon

Has anyone here ever seen/grown a revegged plant that out yields it's predecessor? (not talking cloning...reveg)

just wondering. I've always fell short and anytime I did it it was for preservation, not production.

but hey...best of luck....

troutman

Seed Whore
Before you bring in anything from the outdoors I recommend you spray the plants at least once real good
with some type of general insecticide to be safe. Due to predators, pests don't usual build large population.
All it takes is a few to ride your plants to a safe location for them like indoors and then they can explode in
population. If that happens you will have to totally clean out your indoor grow area. Spraying before could
save you a ton of problems.

Mark00

So if I have two plants (let's say they ipotetically have exactly the same genetics) outdoor in may, one from seed and one from the previous year grow season who is already grow and established; You say at the and of the season the plant from seed go to yield more than the one year old plant ?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So if I have two plants (let's say they ipotetically have exactly the same genetics) outdoor in may, one from seed and one from the previous year grow season who is already grow and established; You say at the and of the season the plant from seed go to yield more than the one year old plant ?
Let's just say, cannabis will re-veg quite nicely in any part of the world which doesn't freeze or get cold enough to kill the plant.

All the other parts of the world? You'll spend fewer resources and time and have greater yields of known cannabis, by keeping mother plants and working with clones. :tiphat:

Iachdo

In my experience with revenging plants most of the previous root system has died and that is partly the reason why the plants don’t drink like they would normally do. In my opinion and favorite technique if you want to over winter something is to plant seeds over winter under an insulated layer of mulch and let nature take its coarse. The plants will be more cold and drought tolerant in the spring. I’ve planted things and haven’t had to start watering til June. The only down side to this is you should have an abundance of seed that you don’t care about loosing a good portion of. What I like to do is seed out a couple colas and just bury nuggets a couple centimeters under the soil

Latest posts

Latest posts