What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does high nitrogen cause excess stretch?

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I would suggest not cutting off Nitrogen in flower. If you cut it, do it very late in harvest. Even then it does more harm than good. Nitrogen is your foundation. Without it, all the other elements will suffer. This is not an opinion, this is a fact that we have proven.

So then in you list of facts what Nitrogen Level is correct during flower. Hell, what is the level while in Veg.

So then in you list of facts what Nitrogen Level is correct during flower. Hell, what is the level while in Veg.

There is no right answer. You can run higher Nitrates as long as there is enough Potassium in your nutrient solution. Strains and growing style will have an impact on the optimal nutrient levels.

Total N in Veg can be from 125-150.
Total N in Bloom can be from 125-170.

Potassium can be upwards of twice as much in Bloom over Veg.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Seventeen years of gardening and for the first thirteen years used General Hydroponics three part. For a three year period I tried different supplements one at a time and in combo.
After three years of mix and match I am using General Hydroponics three part and a little fulvic acid at $279/gallon. Damn, but that hurts.

I do lights and stretch is mostly controlled by light. The standard Blue for veg to reduce stretch is mostly true for weighted full spectrum light sources. 3000K CDM versus 5600K CDM will make a difference, 2700K fluorescent versus 6500K fluorescent not so much. Whether the spectrum energy is spread out over the entire curve or consists of spikes where human eyes are sensitive determines how well the plant receives usable color.

Of course nutrients do things I do not understand, I am acquainted with an organic gardener I am embarrassed to offer my buds to. He appreciates the cleanliness of my extracts even though he finds my buds flat and commercial.

Far Red promotes stretch at all stages of life. I gave the bud room 250 watts of 12/12 Far Red in opposition to the 12/12 of the feed lights. For two months all the plants, Indica and Sativa both, continued to gain height and add buds. Now with the Far Red back to the 30 minute overlap the buds are maturing and bending all the branches over. I am calling this a fail.

Lack of Far Red slows stretch more than excess blue does, High wattage CFLs should keep veg plants short, lots of shortwave red and orange with no Far Red. It takes a lot of fluorescent watts in the low color temperatures but for early veg it should slow down the taller plants.