What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nepalese and North Indian

L

levant

Last edited:

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I've just been given a shit load of seeds from north india,pakistan,nepal and bhutan but there all fucking mixed up so i don't know whats what so should be interesting to see what i find in there.

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
marijuanamat said:
I've just been given a shit load of seeds from north india,pakistan,nepal and bhutan but there all fucking mixed up so i don't know whats what so should be interesting to see what i find in there.

Bhutan, eh? interesting indeed.

you'll just have to grow 'em out and see what you've got.

Are red stems typical of nepalese sativas or is this trait found elsewhere in the himalayas? Moe's plants seem to express this trait nicely.

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nepalese HL,selected by charlie garcia :wink:

Nepal Mist f2 (Kathmandu x Kali Mist)

012-1.jpg

Ot1´s Haze #18 x Nepal Mist f2
021-2.jpg

Simply delicious :D

L

levant

Delicious is the right word Raco!

marijuanamat,
I guess you could think of the seeds as a "mountain mix" lol
I had a few pictures of very tall wispy sativa's in the kingdom of Bhutan,
But I can't find them now.

Does anyone remember the pics of wild Nepalese that Dubi posted back on O.G?
These were some of my original Himalayan inspirations,
I recall one big sprawling sativa with very deep red stems.

Laurence Cherniak's books have some great Himalayan pics as well,
And he describes the Temple balls with deserved romanticism:

.....................................................................................................

"So destiny and fate have brought you into direct contact with one of the unquestionably most powerful natural forces on earth"...

"Something is now carrying you at an ever-increasing speed down the central
runway of your existence"

"First quality Royal, then, is the elixir of hashish orgies"

.....................................................................................................

Also I forgot to mention TIBET,
I'm sure this is a big interest for many on here,
I have not much knowledge though...
I only know that I would very much like to smoke some
Tibetan holy highland super Dalai Lama Temple hash!

Anyways enough dreaming, what I have had lately is some nice dark charas from somewhere in North India, its such a nice relaxed smoke I'm not reaching for my herbs!

ngakpa

Veteran
Hey

seen many stands of jungli with red stems - in Punjab and Himachal in particular

some Nepalese charas
the good stuff is the black handrub - fruity strawberry aroma and heady euphoric high

Indian Himalayan Sativas

above three are farmed mango carrot sativas from Kumaon Himalaya India

Last edited:
I

Iron_Lion

Ace Seeds Nepalese Jamaican

I've also grown and smoke Mandala Seeds Satori which contains Nepalese genetics

Here's one of Mandala Seeds Speed Queen, contains landrace genetics from N. India

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran

Nepalryder female

The next generation will be 25% autoflowering. I'm trying to select the most mold resistant and fast nepal leaning plants from the f2's.

L

levant

Super cool pics dudes!

Heres my lovely Malana, growing slow because this is an English (not Indian) summer!
But she has the lovely mango carrot aroma with a hint of spicy hash.
I say "she" but its still fingers crossed for that...

L

levant

Enjoyed that post tintala, thanks for the vids.
Ganja growing wild like that is one of the most beautiful things on earth,
Just look at them growing from the sides of cliffs and
In old forests, oblivious to time.

The Malana is from good friend mriko, he say it is a Jungli strain cultivated by the local Shepherds. I think its my favourite plant in the garden this year
(And I have Thai, Mex, Lombo, Leb, Eth and more...) Love the landraces!

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
That's a nice thread you've started here Levant ! Glad you like the Malana !:wave: Actually, I obtained the seeds from a friend in Naggar. He got them from Malana Shepherds who had collected some in the wild (in Malana valley of course) and started to do some selection. So there's surely still plenty of work to do on this one !

Here's mine grown in 2006

a nice patch in Tosh

Kullu view

Irie !

C

charlie garcia

Nice thread and beautiful pictures everyone. Mriko love those snow sights with cannabis growing wild, inspiring indeed

Here are some details of a Malana lady grown years ago. Strange and changing aromas form melon to coffee. Touch of the buds was sticky and felt like creammy. You can see color of the just extracted "cream" below. Nice up high, after long curing was potent indeed and very tasty. Biggest problem as usual was to get those seeds to germ and make better selections.

Enjoy

DSCN0230_India.jpg

DSCN8869_India.jpg

DSCN0226_India.jpg

DSCN6462Malanacopia-1.jpg

RubbaDub

Interesting what you say about the smell. I'm trying to think of what other varieties I've heard about with similar aromas: Zamal (Reunion Islands) for one. Aren't Swazi Redbeards supposed to have Carrot smell sometimes?

I think the connection between the Reunion islands and India is pretty well documented, but Swaziland and India?

Any thoughts?

Rubbadub

levant said:
Super cool pics dudes!

Heres my lovely Malana, growing slow because this is an English (not Indian) summer!

L

levant

Hi mriko, good to see you here,
I still remember watching your Malana grow last year and
being very inspired.

Charlie, that one looks and sounds real tasty, thanks for sharing.

RubbaDub, Indeed some Swazi red I grew had mango carrot smell but more extreme, with more developed fruitiness and deep coffee and dark choc undertones - Just crazy aroma!
I tell you that plant was the best smelling ever!
Theres some pics in my gallery.

Never grown Zamal but have heard the same thing.

I would love to discuss the connection between India and Africa -
But my cannabis geography/history just isn't up to scratch,
I would actually love to LEARN from others who know there stuff!

I cant post the link here, but Zamalito wrote an excellent article
on the arrival of Indian Cannabis to Africa.

Last edited:
J

jingles

levant said:
Super cool pics dudes!

MMMMM, I have some malana sheperd and may have to give them a try out next summer.. great looking plants.. :joint:

ngakpa

Veteran
yeah, excellent - mango, carrot, hash, coffee and chocolate - to my mind all signs of a great high on the way

about the link between India and Africa: for sure there were Roman, Arab and Indian merchants active in trading across the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean since way back to the times of the Roman Empire -a key place to check if you are browsing the histories is Malabar, the heart of the spice trade; the Tamil regions of peninsular India generally (so the east also) have been active in trade with many areas of the globe since way back

Malabar Coast
Britannica Concise Encyclopedia | Date: 2007
Region, southwestern coast of India, stretching from the Western Ghats to the Arabian Sea. It now includes most of Kerala state and the coastal region of Karnataka state. It has sometimes been used to refer to the entire western coast of peninsular India. A large part of it was within the ancient kingdom of Keralaputra. The Portuguese established trading posts there; they were followed by the Dutch in the 17th century and the French in the 18th century. The British gained control of the region in the late 18th century.

from Roman Commerce article on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_commerce
The trade over the Indian Ocean blossomed in the first and second century CE. The sailors made use of the monsoon to cross the ocean from the ports of Berenice, Leulos Limen and Myos Hormos on the Red Sea coast of Roman Egypt to the ports of Muziris and Nelkynda in Malabar coast. The main trading partners in southern India were the Tamil dynasties of the Pandyas, Cholas and Cheras. Many Roman artifacts have been found in India, for example at the archaeological site of Arikamedu near present day Pondicherry. Meticulous descriptions of the ports and items of trade around the Indian Ocean can be found in the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea.

Ngakpa :)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Jungli strains have a low germination rate, is it genetic or environmental? If a jungli strain is seeded inside will the seeds still have the problem?

It's like one out forty seeds with my Parvati seeds. No luck in germinating any this year.

I'd guess it's the cold nights and possible lack of water and nutes at times that causes this as I've had much lower germ rates from homemade outdoor seeds than from the ones grown inside.

Last edited: