What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nepalese and North Indian

L

levant

Greetings ICMag!

Of all the popular Landrace cannabis,
It seems that real Nepalese and North Indian strains are the most elusive.
So this thread is for anyone with an interest in landraces from these special
Himalayan areas
(also silk road, Karakorum pass included, but mainly focusing on Nepal)
I'm sure you will all agree these areas are very special and the cannabis that grows there is special, whether wild or cultivated.

Please post all your pictures, experience and info to do with Nepal Cannabis!

As well as getting info, the aim is to find sources for Nepalese strains that
are available for all.

To begin, here is a pic of purple peace, which is Nepalese sativa crossed with a strain called Viking.
She grew very tall and bushy, like a pure sativa.
The smell is very spicy, a little woody, hashy and berry-like.
The buds are airy, and the high is uplifting!

https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/15925Purple_Peace_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gert Lush

Veteran
levant said:
Of all the popular Landrace cannabis,
It seems that real Nepalese and North Indian strains are the most elusive.
What do you mean by "elusive"?
There are several representatives of these strains available fairly easily.
Many have been discussed on this board, and I daresay they are some of the most easily available, what with travellers visiting those areas all the time, and ganja cultivation still relatively uninhibitted.

BTW, which landrace strains would you consider "not elusive"?

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nepalese strains have always fascinated me and I've always romanticised over them, maybe due to the impression Nepalese Temple Balls played when I procurred some as a youngin'. :D

I have grown Purple Peace and it is one of my fav outdoor varieties. Have some going this yr. as well.

I have a couple of ACE Nepjam's hung drying right now. I plan to pollinate my Purple Peace w/ collected Nepjam pollen next month.

Anyway, I hope this thread has some legs, as I am always interested in this area. There was a really nice Nepalese travelogue thread here last yr.
The Nepal thread

Purple Peace buds

About 50% of PP's go purple. :D

Last edited:
L

levant

Hello friends,

Gert Lush,
By elusive, I mean I haven't myself been able to acquire a truly pure
Nepalese sativa, they are out there, but not easy to get I find.
It's perhaps comparable to Hawaiian strains, you hear about them,
But to get a real pure old type Hawaiian from the islands is not common.
Again though, this is my experience, maybe others have these strains in abundance!
It's true that ganja growing is still relatively uninhibited,
Thats whats so great about the area;
There is still wild mountain weed to be found!

Not elusive?
I guess I would say the more known Africana's such as Durban, Swazi, and Malawi, but actually, these days the real thing is hard to find!!

Highlighter,
Your Purple Peace buds look fantastic - similar to mine but more purple and denser/fatter.
Mine have silvery hues and they are very light.
What latitude are you growing at?
NepJam's sound sweet, the Ace selection I'd most like to try though is Guerilla, this one is Nepalese crossed with Leshoto.

I cant believe I missed that Nepal thread!
Well, I better get reading
:joint:

RubbaDub

Hi Levant,

Real Seed Co. has two landrace strains that originate in Northern India - Malana and Pahari Farmhouse. Seedsman carries them and a few other online shops as well.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
great thread!

i myself have always been fascinated by nepalese strains too. it might have something to do with the gut feeling that this is where all cannabis originates. atleast the diversity of strains up in the himalayas and northern india is huge.

i am flowering a sativa pheno of lowryder #2 x nepal. she looks promising and leans towards the nepalese father. the leaves are leathery and dark green.

i wish they would fix the picture upload..

Plutarque

Jah mon, very nice.
Levant you remember me that I still have some Purple Peace beans to work with (something for next year), thanx mate

Peace & :respect:

L

levant

Thanks all for getting this thread started.

RubbaDub -

Indeed this is a great find for real deal North Indians.
These were collected in the region by Ngakpa I believe.
Also - Lets post links where we can:

Real Seed Company:

http://www.seedsman.com/en/cannabis-seeds/the-real-seed-company

Thule -
I share your fascination with Nepal, though I have never been,
I can feel its vibe from seeing it on t.v documentary's and books (though of course its not the same as actually being there.)
One day though one day...
When I look at a ganja plant - any ganja plant, It looks like it has
"Himalaya" written all over it.
I used to have my thoughts about Africa,
But the holy mountains must be the motherland !

Is the lowryder #2 x nepal from a seed co? Or your own cross?

And I also cant upload new pics, how annoying!

bodhiseeds -

Thanks for gracing this thread with your pics, thats just what we needed.

Here's a link to two Nepalese threads at the Vibescollective:

http://www.vibescollective.org/forum/index.php?topic=709.0

http://www.vibescollective.org/forum/index.php?topic=198.0

Bluehemp seeds Nepali:

http://www.bluehemp.ch/4803/105273.html

No Mercy seeds:

http://www.nomercy.nl/en/framesets/fs-prod-seedbank.html

(They have a Nepal and Tibet strains, I'm not sure on any details)

And here is a pic of Some Malana Mriko sent me
(hope he chimes in on this discussion soon!)

Braindead#1

Omae wa mo shindeiru
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vibescollective hahaha they're all stupid in this forum :laughing: not really a good exemple.....but interesting thread bro :joint:

Gert Lush

Veteran
levant said:
By elusive, I mean I haven't myself been able to acquire a truly pure Nepalese sativa, they are out there, but not easy to get I find.
As someone already mentioned, Reeferman does a pure Nepali, which was also used in ACE's NepJam, IIRC, and some other classics like "Willie Nelson" and "Apple Pie".

ACE's NepJam and Nep Highland I can vouch for, I've got a keeper and it's my favourite cerebral weed (by a long shot, I might add).

Mandala had VERY good reviews with their Satori, which looks excellent. Haven't tried it yet, but all reports indicate that it's pretty damn close to the mark.

Two others claiming Nepali genetics are Dr. Atomic's "Nepal Baba" and Soma's "Free Tibet", if I'm not mistaken, but I have no real knowledge of those. So, as you can see, there's a lot there for starters, plus people are visiting Nepal all the time, and ganja has not been stepped on by US jackboot as has happened, say, in Thailand and India. (Well, not nearly as much, anyway)

It's perhaps comparable to Hawaiian strains, you hear about them,
But to get a real pure old type Hawaiian from the islands is not common.
AFAIK, Hawaiian is a good deal harder to acquire..

Not elusive?
I guess I would say the more known Africana's such as Durban, Swazi, and Malawi, but actually, these days the real thing is hard to find!!
True... but it's there and there are no major legal problems. Main problem is the influx of crappy Dutch "quick", skunkified genetics polluting the originals.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What latitude are you growing at?
Thx levant, I'm @ about 43N. They finish 3rd wk to end of sept. That one we named "muffin", cause she smelled like blueberry muffins both wet and cured. :D

Green Ambassador, breeder of the Purple Peace, was given the nepalese seed stock from a friend returning from there. It was stabilized in Holland for 20 yrs before the cross w/ Viking 15 yrs ago.

I always wonder if the genes from the SSSC's M1 Nepali are still floating around... :chin:
SSSC's M1 Nepali description: A wild sativa variety. A must for the collector. This strain is the hardiest in the world. This variety is used to make some of the world's finest hash. In Nepal these plants are not cut down after the resin is collected. The plants continue growing until resin can be harvested again. After a yr. or two the plants are cut down. Starts flowering in the 2nd half of Sept. but you can't pick the buds before the end of October. Hgts of 15 ft. are easily reached in good growing conditions. The seeds are dark and very small. (20 seeds for $35)

ACE uses a different nepalese for the Banghi Haze/Guerilla.

The Nepalese Highland used in the ACE NepJam's is as follows:
Dubi quoteWe swapped genetics with Reeferman 2-3 years ago. Nepalese Highland is a highly worked domesticated line, i dont think is a wild original nepalese, maybe somekind of nepalese inbred line for many postive traits like strong growing structure, fast and dense flowering, good indoor adaptability, high resin production, good aromas, long lasting and high quality effect.

As pictured in Bodhiseeds' Nepal thread, is their 3rd Nepalese, the kathmandu. :wink:

Last edited:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Love seeing the photos, everyone! :D

My Neeple (Nepalese Highland X Deep Chunk) courtesy of charlie garcia/Raco. :respect:

L

levant

Great info's and lovely pics people.
Lets keep it rollin'.

Here's a thread on a Nepalese Annapurna:

http://www.vibescollective.org/forum/index.php?topic=447.0

Here is some good info on Nepalese strains I copied and pasted
From This Thread: http://www.vibescollective.org/forum/index.php?topic=2206.0

......................................................................................................

- Nepalese
R.C. Clarke in Marijuana Botany (1981):
Most Cannabis in Nepal occurs in wild stands high in the Himalayan foothills (up to 3,200 meters [10,000 feet]). Little Cannabis is cultivated, and it is from select wild plants that most Nepalese hashish and marijuana originate. Nepalese plants are usually tall and thin with long, slightly branched limbs. The long, thin flowering tops are very aromatic and reminiscent of the finest fresh "temple ball" and "finger" hashish hand-rubbed from wild plants. Resin production is abundant and psychoactivity is high Few Nepalese strains have appeared in domestic Cannabis crops but they do seem to make strong hybrids with strains from domestic sources and Thailand.

Mel Frank in Marijuana Grower's Insider's guide (1988):
Nepalese often is similar to classical Mexican although there are short varieties, four or five feet tall, with either broad Afghani leaves or sativa-like leaves. Nepalese along with South African often has the cannabinoid THCV along with THC. You feel the effects of THCV almost immediately, so that with one hit you might feel high. THCV doesn't last as long as THC but the effect is cerebral and uplifting. Nepalese may taste very sweet, and it can form good but not tightest of buds. Most plants ripened in october.

DJ Short in Cultivating Exceptionnal Cannabis (2003):
The Buddhists have a saying: "May all beings be happy." They also have a hash to back it up with: black finger rubbings from high in the Himalayas. This was some of my all-time favorite.
Nepalese is among the most cerebral of hashish. A strong yet pleasant head journey packed in every puff. This is some of the happiest hash I have experienced. The taste is spicy/fruity/earthen and among the most enjoyable of hash flavors. Most Nepalese hash is from rubbings, although I have heard from travelers to the area that screened and pressed varieties are available.
Simply put: Nepalese Temple Ball is some of the happiest, fruitiest and most pleasantly flavorful, highest quality hash that I have ever experienced.

Experience from growers with Nepalese strains:
- Rahan: " I never made a complete grow of Nepalese but a close friend made some with seeds I obtained for him via internet. The strain grew like a wild indica and the buds were large but quite fluffy. The resin production was very good. The strain was told to have two phenos in the strain, one sativa-ish and the other indica-ish but we did not see them with 12 individuals. The smell was very strong, like cat piss and shit when fresh and very fruity when dried. The smoke was very sweet. High is mostly cerebral, you can laugh in the beginning of it. However, there is also a body part and the second part of the high was more meditative, very directed to introspection. One point to mention is that the plants produced seeds incredibly large"

.....................................................................................................

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
levant said:
Thanks all for getting this thread started.

I share your fascination with Nepal, though I have never been,
I can feel its vibe from seeing it on t.v documentary's and books (though of course its not the same as actually being there.)
One day though one day...
When I look at a ganja plant - any ganja plant, It looks like it has
"Himalaya" written all over it.
I used to have my thoughts about Africa,
But the holy mountains must be the motherland !

Is the lowryder #2 x nepal from a seed co? Or your own cross?

Perhaps next fall i'll have the money to go and see nepal for myself. until then i'll settle for nepalese exports.

the lowryder #2 x nepal is my own cross. the nepalese line came from denmark and is adapted to growing outdoors as far as northern europe. i can't wait for the flowering to really kick in.

hardy nepalese genetics are most excellent for breeding strains that actually perform in a cold climate such as ours.

Latest posts

Latest posts