What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Recommend a good worm supplier?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To ad just a bit of useless trivia/observation some bait shops do sell red wrigglers and many fishermen prefer them because they are small and adhere close-knit to the hook and live up to their name; they wriggle. The result is attracting the craftier old pool dwellers who will grab the whole worm and therefore the hook instead of the three quarters of the nightcrawler hanging off the hook; the free lunch.

As noted earlier red wrigglers are usually readily available in horse manure which has been piled up. A family with a few horses out back might open bait worm sales out front.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But wait, there’s more! These worms double in population every three months, so as your worm population grows, the amount of Black Gold that they can create will grow as well. A year from introducing your 1,000 composting worms into your bin, you should now have 16,000 composting worms, which will create 8-16 pounds of composter per day!”

Good luck with that. Certainly let us know if it really turns out that way. One hint for a multiplication bin, at least as an experiment, try cardboard. Worms seem to multiply at a greater rate when consuming cardboard. Probably plain stuff is best. Maybe its the glue.

White Beard

Earthworm is just a generic term for worms that live in the earth or on top of it. Nightcrawlers specifically, one of the most common bait worms, are soil eaters. They will dig tunnels and bring organic matter deeper into the soil, but they are not gonna break larger stuff down into compost. Red wigglers, which are too small to be a proper bait worm, are composting worms that eat organic matter and break it down into compost. Also wigglers go for ~25$ for 16 ounces, so if you can buy them for a couple dollars for a quart, you could make easy money reselling them. If you can guarantee the worm type and they will stay alive in transit.

Whatever you say, bud

White Beard

Because I didn’t bother pretending I did?

I don’t know why YOU think you have a beef with ME about this: walk down to the bait shop and ask them yourself...good ol’ boys headed for the lake are NOT spending $25 for a box of worms. That’s all I said, that and what learned from having a compost pile for many years.

But by all means, please put me in my place - that’s *never* happened before.

Latest posts

Latest posts