What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need grow bag advice!

DTOM420

I’m shopping for grow bags for next year’s outdoor garden and I’m going to be using big bags: 200 gallon and 300 gallon for my photos. We have a very long outdoor season that starts April 1 and sometimes earlier and can easily go through Thanksgiving. First frosts are usually not until late December. However. We have very hot and dry summers that will produce 100° temps for up to 60 days in a row. I did ok this year in some smaller bags with autos but they required daily watering. So, for the photos, that’ll get big, I want to give them all the room possible to maximize on their potential.

Well, I was going to get some Grassroots bags when I noticed that they now have bags supposedly designed for living soil; that slow down the drying out and make it a little more like nature. Check them out here: https://www.grassrootsfabricpots.com/moisturelock-and-living-soil/ My concern is that the waterproof material strip that gives this effect, sorts defeats the purpose of the bag in the first place - the air pruning. On the other hand, I’m using such large bags, is root pruning even an issue for me? I’m not going to root-bind in a 100, 200 or 300 gallon container anyway, am I?

What are YOUR thoughts? Would you mess with these for an additional $4-$6 (per bag) cost? Is this a smart idea or a bad idea; especially for someone in a hot and usually dry area?

Latest posts

Latest posts