What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

signs your organic soil has exhausted its ....

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
hi
i run rols organic and its been through a few cycles
i now have several issues unique to each breed

im learning some plants need a little of this , and some need a little something else

i am hoping you guys can help me sort whats what

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

these are from seed with the girls in veg and this is whats happening on older leaves

and this little guy is from my gg4

picture.php

I wood

Top dressing is what you need to be doing more of in my opinion, I'm just getting the hang of it myself in rols.
I'm no expert but have been mixing equal parts fish meal, fish bone meal, crab meal, and neem/karanja meal and kelp meal.
This info came to me from another Icmag organic thread not too long ago with the instructions to use one teaspoon to a tablespoon per gallon of soil.
I add a little alfalfa meal when transplanting vegging plants into large flowering pots with the above mix and cover with worm castings. Plants are looking good, yields are getting back up where they used to be before I began reusing dirt.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry. Looks like you are short calcium and phosphorous to me on a quick glance...

Something is surely out of balance. Have you posted these in the ROLS threads to see what kind of response you get. That mix is supposed to be set it and forget it...

How have you been re-amending? At 1/2 original inputs at the end of each cycle??

dank.Frank

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
i was leaning in the cal pho direction myself there frank, thanks for the input

i made the mistake of not reamending after its first round and reamended 1/2 on the third round, so im gonna say ill probably reamend full strength on the blood and 2/3 on the bone meal for the next round
however, im kinda wanting to ditch the blood and bone and go with plant based amendments , like alfalfa or soy meal , and honestly i havent researched anything to replace the bone meal yet, buit im sure its out there

i dont wanna use guanos either, as they arent renewables or ethically harvested.

I hate to sound like an old organic hippy, i guess im just getting old and more conservative. I have used the guanos for my teas and in the soil as amendments the first round, but not enough to matter. and my bags have almost run out, so its time for me to get a plan for the next round in about three weeksish

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
If you replenish the humic part it helps buffer things like this. 10-20% worm castings or good compost and you can use that soil forever, with more amendments of course.

Also, it might be a good idea to pick up a bottle of hydrolyzed fish. If you water alil after the fish it greatly reduces that lovely smell. I like to push it alil bit in flower. Some strains will really blow up with alil boost from the fish.

Right now it looks like there is a deficiency, rather than give it something that may cover one thing, use a fully balanced amendment or something like the hydrolyzed fish. Other wise it tends to through off the feeding profile the plant needs and it ends up deficient again.

Good luck, BC

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
I have just started using the fish sauce and I must say im really impressed
My girls in flower areresponding by packing on some real weight in just a few days they went from kinda stalling to perking back up and just filling out quickly

these pics are issues from the veg room and im trying to get them healthy for the next round, im trying the alaskan 5-1-1 on them at the moment but would to get theses cal pho issues resolved before then

Ratzilla

Veteran
Hello Boyed
I just came across your thread.
I also see what might be a P deficiency.
Also any time I see any burning on a leaf edge it makes me think K.
There are other reason why these signs could be showing other then deficiencies in the elements themselves.
Mostly environmental.
I also recycle my mix and do some replenishments with some really good complete all purpose in between cycles.
I also add all trim including stems back into the mix thinking the plant take up what they need.
I have just finish a run that was on its 5th cycle since a soil test and amended accordingly.
This last run was successful but the plants were showing some smears of color on some of its leaves through the grow.
Nothing that I reactive too during the grow other then my usual style.
But before using my mix again I will get a soil test done then there is no guessing on what it might need.
Logan Labs does a complete test for $25.
Most of the time it is micronutrient (trace elements)that need replenishment.
Ratz :tiphat:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If going to full on plant based diet - then you should start looking for comfrey, nettle, and yarrow - to substitute nutrition. You can compost those the same way you would any other raw organic input. Keeping in mind of course, the quality of those inputs and what they contribute to soil health is going to be largely dependent on the soil they were grown in as well...so, there's always that to consider.

The only problem with a soil test - is unless you tested your soil mix - BEFORE - anything was planted and after it has been PROPERLY composted for a period of time - then you really have no idea what base levels of nutrition you are trying to achieve or replicate. The "ideal" nutritional range that is listed on a soil test may not be what you desire - so you end up re-amending based on their ratio criteria rather than your own.

You first need a control sample of soil that you know is perfect to establish the base levels for which you want to achieve when you re-amend.

dank.Frank

Latest posts

Latest posts