What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's Cloning Formula For Root Nubs In 3 Days!

Catatafish

Veteran
Just a heads up in case anybody tries the above....the venturi valve slows down the flow rate of misters. Im going to play around a little more with it. Its adjustable so you can find a balance which i did. I don't have any way of testing amount of o2 without a meter and i don't have the cake. My guess is a larger pump probably wouldn't be as phased by it running wide open.

Ill update when i have time to play some more.

malibujoel

I repeated your recipe to a T. Cleaned the machine for 6 days with Ethromiacin. Then added nutrients and bleach to your recipe. After 5 days of running with fresh cuts I looked inside the cloner and it looked swampy and was slimy. Water temp was 79-80 degrees and 250ppm. PH was 6.0. Not sure what happened. Any ideas?

Huel Perkins

Veteran
Synpe, I've been growing for a long time, over 20 years, but only indoor for the last 10 or so and only cloning for the last 7 or 8. Even though i've been at it a while, i like trying new things so i don't get bored. I've learned a lot over the years because experience is the best teacher but my cloning results have never been up to par with what i see others post online as well as you in this thread...

I've tried many different routes from cloning in straight soil to rockwool, coco pucks, Rapid rooters, home-made aero cloner, EZ Clone 30, EZ clone 60, as well as using no rooting compounds to rooting powder from Home Depot, Technaflora gel, Clonex and Dyna-Gro KLN. Tried temps from 60F-93F (warmer seems to be much better) and light from two 26w CFL's to 1000w mh (at a distance).

My results are almost always the same with every method once its ironed out. My rate of success is great, I've created thousands of clones and probably 99% of them have survived no matter what I've done. My problem is, they always take sooo long to root. Even through aren't dying, they regularly take 3+ weeks to root and up to a month before they are showing some new veg growth and ready to transplant. I've always been puzzled on what i could be possibly be doing wrong since I've tried everything over the years and how others get clones that are 100% rooted and ready to transplant in 2 weeks while mine take twice as long.

I guess i'll try your recipe for the next round and see if it makes any difference...

Huel Perkins

Veteran
I must say, I had no hopes if this formula actually working as I've tried everything and always got the same results. Snype's formula literally made my clones root and kick back into veg growth twice as fast as everything else I've tried. At 11 days I had 3"+ long roots and new leaves forming!

Huel Perkins

Veteran
Roots at 11 days.

picture.php

Snype

Veteran
I must say, I had no hopes if this formula actually working as I've tried everything and always got the same results. Snype's formula literally made my clones root and kick back into veg growth twice as fast as everything else I've tried. At 11 days I had 3"+ long roots and new leaves forming!

Yeah man! I did years of testing to come up with this formula. It cost you pennies to use the few things contained within it as well. I'm glad that you gave it a chance and that it worked out for you! Hope you get a great harvest to come!

paperchaser825

I think one thing people are missing here when comparing their results to Snype's (if I may be so bold) is that there's a good chance that the guy who has grown 30k plants over his career (the guy being Snype) probably has mothers or vegging plants he is taking his clones from that are ABSOLUTELY FUCKING PERFECT IN HEALTH. This is key. Take a sickly clone from a sickly plant and you are going to have problems like slow rooting times and deficiencies from the getgo. Just my 2c.

Thanks much for sharing your technique with us, Snype. Cloning seems to be one of the harder aspects of growing, even with experienced growers. I have gone from 100% success for many years with rapid rooters to having awful returns from them, without changing anything (or so I thought). Pathogens seemed to come and go. Then I had a realization: my cuts started going bad after I started filtering my water instead of just using chlorinated tap water.

After reading the 'pool shock' thread I am convinced that adding chlorine is a really smart move in aerocloners; very effective at keeping pathogens from getting a foothold in that first week. That thread's author made the comment that - as an extreme experiment - he added 48 times(!) the 'usual' amount of pool shock to see how cuttings responded. It didn't kill them. Definitely overkill, but the idea was to see how the cuts handled the far upper end of exposure to chlorine.

For this reason I would suggest that anyone having ongoing rotting issues should add more chlorine, because it WILL stop that shit from starting. It may not stop a batch that has already gone bad, but from the beginning it definitely seems to work. No need to go too crazy; just try doubling the chlorox. 2 drops a gallon is still a tiny amount and the cuts will be fine with it. Higher chlorine levels can seriously help when temps get above 75F, too.

The other thing mentioned was that the 'pool shock' chlorine will only last ~3 days. In his scenario you re-add it at that time and then again at 6 days in.

Snype, you said you had a chlorine meter. How much do your chlorox levels drop in 3 days? Do you add more as the days pass, or just stay with the original addition?

The micro/bloom make perfect sense to me; as soon as those nubs form and grow, nutrient uptake begins.

I have never used SuperThrive. Going to try it! It's cheap, so I don't get why anyone would skip it when it obviously has great results.

my conclusions:

1. Temps above 75F speed root formation; cuts have the chlorine to protect them from the pathogens that would normally bloom at those temps.
2. flora/micro provide something for the nubs/roots to pull in after they form, so root and leaf growth can start as soon as possible. Keeps yellowing and deadheading to a minimum.
3. SuperThrive does some crazy shit in there and your roots apparently go crazy.

I see some people saying "I've never had any problems cloning". Guys, it is important to understand that we all have different humidity levels, temperatures and pathogens to contend with. Some areas may not need anything beyond water; some may need chlorine and humidity domes. People will need to take a look at their individual situations and fine-tune what works best in their situation.

Sorry that more people haven't posted their results back here. I have a 48-site TurboKloner arriving tomorrow, so for its maiden voyage I am going to try your technique and post results back here! I might use pool shock instead of your chlorox, though. I doubt that there's too much difference as far as that goes.

Any thoughts?

romuros

Hi

I used Snype`s formua for last round. I used rocwoll cubes and got first roots in 9 days.

I had also build rdwc system with Snype`s tutorial and everything works perfect.

zamzia

Veteran
I'm going to give this a blast on several strains that for me have taken 7+ days to root and see what happens :)

chosen

Veteran
I switched to this method and ran it in my Aquamist system. I had nice roots in 7 days and just dangling everywhere in 10.
Thanks