What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's Guide To RDWC - Part 1 - Featuring Chemdog Double Diesel & 2,000 Watts!

bobblehead

Veteran
data? put the seed in some dirt and water it man... :biglaugh: Your attention to detail is refreshing. Nice buds too!

Tropical Rain

Haze, Kush & Grey Goose
Veteran
So did you just keep pushing ppm/TDS til you found the sweat spot for the particular strain you were running? Logging the data along the way of course?

& you top off with the same nutrient strength til the complete change out of water, Correct?

Oh and is the system piping 1.5" / 2" / 3" ??? (Any particular reasoning behind the size, chosen?)
(I know a bit premature.)

:tiphat:
TR

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
Snype,

I know that this grow has already happened, but is it possible to see a pic of the ebb and flow drain setup?

Yeah I will take a pic for you tomorrow.

So did you just keep pushing ppm/TDS til you found the sweat spot for the particular strain you were running? Logging the data along the way of course?

& you top off with the same nutrient strength til the complete change out of water, Correct?

Oh and is the system piping 1.5" / 2" / 3" ??? (Any particular reasoning behind the size, chosen?)
(I know a bit premature.)

:tiphat:
TR

You pretty much have it except I top off with water. When my system gets down to a certain PPM/TDS/EC, I add back nutrients. Data has shown that after the water top off has reached twice the system, it must be drained out and refilled with fresh solution.

I use 1.5" pipes because that's the biggest pipes that will fit onto round buckets.

D

DonJuanMatus

I get more flavor than most people that i know who grow in soil. Hydro has a bad rep because most growers think you have to feed up to 2000 PPM and I only feed 700-900 PPM

respect x10...ive been telling people this for a decade..i strive for no burnt leaf tips at harvest..you can get herb that burns organic like in hydro if you can get to chop without burning tips..and even a slight burn will still taste great...i also never feed above 700ppm in rockwool , and thats with 5+ foot , 2 pound plants..rapid growth and yield in hydro comes more from a stable medium with a well balanced nutrient regimen than they do from being pushed..i dont think there is any scenario where a plant needs 1000ppms, regardless of its size..less is more

great thread and detail!..enjoyed the write up on drying, i do it very similar, hangers, paper bags ect...wet trimming also has a bad rep from people who allow it to dry out too fast ,leaving a harsh product, or bag it too wet without sweating it and giving it that wet sock smell..respect to snypette for being down for the cause, not many women can sit down for 36 hours and knock down a harvest solo, and do a such a good job

Snype

Veteran
respect x10...ive been telling people this for a decade..i strive for no burnt leaf tips at harvest..you can get herb that burns organic like in hydro if you can get to chop without burning tips..and even a slight burn will still taste great...i also never feed above 700ppm in rockwool , and thats with 5+ foot , 2 pound plants..rapid growth and yield in hydro comes more from a stable medium with a well balanced nutrient regimen than they do from being pushed..i dont think there is any scenario where a plant needs 1000ppms, regardless of its size..less is more

great thread and detail!..enjoyed the write up on drying, i do it very similar, hangers, paper bags ect...wet trimming also has a bad rep from people who allow it to dry out too fast ,leaving a harsh product, or bag it too wet without sweating it and giving it that wet sock smell..respect to snypette for being down for the cause, not many women can sit down for 36 hours and knock down a harvest solo, and do a such a good job

Thanks DonJuan! Respect to you to. I read most of your thread and those trees are pretty amazing as well as your details. I opened up a word file and put all your information into it just in case your thread just disappears one day. I never even heard of the Rockwool that you use so thanks to opening my eyes to that. I plan on trying out your style pretty soon just to see what it's like. Mad props to going into the details that you did in your thread! I'm sure you turned a lot more growers onto your style. Stay safe.

Snype

Veteran
Are you running chillers Snype?

I don't run chillers in any of my systems. I just use adequate air and chlorine instead.

Great thread. Very informative,Its my goal to go to RDWC.
For $300 you can build a 6 bucket system if you have 1000 watt ballast and reflector. RDWC is not complicated at all when you know what rules to follow. Everything that you need is right here in this thread and in my RDWC Construction Tutorial. RDWC is easier than any other system in my opinion. There is nothing to think about in RDWC about how often to water compared to Ebb and Flow. As long as you listen to your meters, use chlorine, and have adequate air, RDWC is a breeze.

Snype

Veteran
For those who don't know what's happening, check out my RDWC Construction tutorial in the Hydro Section or in my signature! I have many models and you can also customize a model to suit your needs. This system cost less than $250.00 and includes your Air Pump and Water Pump! This model is for a 250 Watt Light or a 400 Watt Light:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Snype

Veteran
Anyone who builds my systems will find this thread very useful as a guide to your RDWC ventures. Because of this, I will be changing the name of this thread and moving it to the Hydro Section before I make my departure.

When I come back, I will have a part 2 of this thread with 7,600 Watts and many more details.

Just a little note to let you guys know where to find this thread/guide. I still have to edit a few more details into this thread before that all happens. Stay tuned...

I just want to thank Rez Dog one last time for all the work that you did and I really hope that the universe guides you down the right path.

For the people that will be using your VEG A system with the 5 inch net pots, do you just rest the net pot and roots in the 6 inch netpot/cover or do you cut the bottom of it out so the roots can hang free in the 5 gallon bucket?

Mort

Snype

Veteran
For the people that will be using your VEG A system with the 5 inch net pots, do you just rest the net pot and roots in the 6 inch netpot/cover or do you cut the bottom of it out so the roots can hang free in the 5 gallon bucket?

Mort

I must have forgotten to cover this part. It's a really good question. I've been to many stores to find the 2 types of net pots that can work together for me. You will have to do the same unless you shop at Worms Way. They have the perfect 2 pots that can fit together. For the RDWC system I use a 6" Bucket Lid Net Pot. They are not the same from all stores so you must test it yourself to find ones that can work together. I cut the bottom off of the HydroFarm 6" Bucket Lid Net Pot (Model #HG6RDBK). I cut off the bottom with a razor blade. Here 2 pictures of before and after:

The other pot that goes into the VEG-A system is a 5" Daisy Flex Net Pot. I purposely bought hundreds of them incase they go away one day. Here is what it looks like:

When the roots grow in the VEG-A system, I transfer them into the RDWC System by first dunking the roots into my nutrient solution for a few seconds then then gently placing them into the 6" Bucket Lid Net Pots wile making a turning motion. The end result is that now the roots are hanging right into the solution from the first day of them being placed into the RDWC System.

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
Well this thread is basically complete and I'm almost on my way. The only thing that I need to add is the last few weeks of growing data.

Here is a little peak of my ChemdogDD Back Up MOMS today! She's almost 4 years old now from that first pack of REZDOG seeds and here to stay around for the future! I take very good care of her and she constantly gets the red carpet treatment 365 days a year. I will never show her what stress is!
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Now lets go back 3.5 years ago to when she came out of that #8 seed:
picture.php
picture.php

Amazing what 1 seed can do!

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:good: Love your work brother Snype :good:
Ol Rezdog would be proud of your efforts with such a detailed grow log and awesome grow ethics in the garden :woohoo:
:blowbubbles:

Snype

Veteran
Just because I do RDWC doesn't mean I don't also use soil! I always have soil crops as well. Even with the RDWC systems in the way, I put soil plants all around the system and raise them on buckets. I move them every few days because there is more light in certain places better than others. So I want them all to get better light from time to time. The RDWC system in the picture is not far into flowering but the soil plants around the RDWC system are at 58 days and are being flushed so the leaves are supposed to be yellowing for those beautiful ChemDD flavors! So even when I get close to 1 gram per watt in the system, I exceed that gram per watt with these soil plants:
picture.php

Love your work brother Snype
Ol Rezdog would be proud of your efforts with such a detailed grow log and awesome grow ethics in the garden
Thanks boom!