What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I know quite afew tourists and researchers out there.....they are smoking some of the native thai strains (aswell as many others)grown outdoors under the sun and they are saying the quality is crap and they are fetching the lowest prices...especially compared to the indoor stuff grown with well bred strains or outdoors well bred elite stuff......the outdoors native strains are the cheepest on the menus and wen brought people are having to put a whole leep in just to get a mild very low quality to high......so whats causing this....its those same genetics everyone keeps saying is the proper stuff not just one type its all over the country with different native types...and when we in the west are growing it and saying its no were near as good as some of the best in the past we have plenty people saying watch how good it is grown in Thailand, under the thai sun and in the thai soil.....but ever one is saying its wack compared to some of the stuff out there that coming in and being put together.....can anyone find me anywere that has elite pure thais that are strong as anything and are fetching top top prices out there ? They are even going as far as adding western strains to the native stuff to increase quality and strength.....some of what people know as squirrel tail and mango out there now already has had Afghan bred into it...and things like bruce banner....can anyone show me high quality potent pure native stuff out there....that is know as grade aaa please....what is the cause of this..?
I don't doubt a bunch is crap, they don't really have any select seeds to choose from like we have and they are basically beginner growers too, added to that as willy said the market dictates the supply,
Perhaps this will change in the future when some get good enough genetics and learn how to get the most out of them and realise there is a niche market who likes them sativas as long as they select the best varieties and grow them to their full potential, remember it's only getting to 1 year since legalisation began this industry is still in its infancy..

I know, in fact I grow and smoke sativas, not Cookies ;)
What I meant (probably in a confused way, I admit) is that everywhere it is like this, even in Jamaica for example, or in other areas of Central America...
A big part of people want "moden" USA strains....
Yes its like this you are right, people like the names , the modern way to advertise strains that have promotion behind. It is like that and they ones who know are marginal number not the majority.

Whats is your favorite strain?
I vote first ManhohzIbl as my favotite

-SaveTheBarains

I don't doubt a bunch is crap, they don't really have any select seeds to choose from like we have and they are basically beginner growers too, added to that as willy said the market dictates the supply,
Perhaps this will change in the future when some get good enough genetics and learn how to get the most out of them and realise there is a niche market who likes them sativas as long as they select the best varieties and grow them to their full potential, remember it's only getting to 1 year since legalisation began this industry is still in its infancy..
This so truth what you just said .
I know friend in Thailand that run a dispensary got some mangohz ibl S3 and because are 13- 14 weekers dont use them they use auto and random fem genetics.
People crave money fast there
-SaveTheBrains

cola

Yes, you are correct. Things there are in the infancy. Hopefully before Westerners rush over and start any events of sorts they might realize the govt is just getting their heads wrapped around all of this. The last thing they want or need is an influx of people from outside of there rushing in changing, dictating, or marketing things. Perhaps for everyone's benefit a slow and careful approach is best. After all, we have to remember that not very long ago people that had anything to do with this that fell astray were treated very harshly. It's still very conservative in many places.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Nah...
Thai seeds came to me in exchange for a spliff...over the years I've had the good fortune to build precious and sincere friendships with fantastic people, with whom I've exchanged seeds and plants, or they've given it to me for free.
The cannaworld is shity place but it's also populated by people who do things out of passion...
It's not the right place to start this discussion, it just doesn't seem right to me to pay €200 for those 10 seeds, but this is just my opinion....

TheDarkStorm

Hopefully with time and some hard work we might see some change.....but alot of breeders now take the easy route and just either rename things or add things instead of doing the work to produce better...the thai legal industry is still in its early stages guess we have to wait and see what happens. I have seen one or two lines that are very good but people are holding them close.
Ps. The government has been growing out big numbers out over ther....eg the squirrel tail they have listed...they grew out thousands and made seeds from what they thought was the best selected from them....didn't really turn out any better....

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Better visually or potency?
The latter takes time and a certain level of skill and ability to judge potency and a lot of selection saving parents along the way etc, its likely to take years of dedication vs someone just grabbing 2 packs of already well worked stock of already potent varieties where there has been decades of selection and then they think.they are champions for producing something potent when they have done nothing more than reproduction.
Land races are much different to modern varieties.

cola

Better visually or potency?
The latter takes time and a certain level of skill and ability to judge potency and a lot of selection saving parents along the way etc, its likely to take years of dedication vs someone just grabbing 2 packs of already well worked stock of already potent varieties where there has been decades of selection and then they think.they are champions for producing something potent when they have done nothing more than reproduction.
Land races are much different to modern varieties.
One can get lucky in their findings, but realistically how often does that happen? Likely not very. Maybe the best chance, however, perhaps contrary to conventional thinking, is to head up into the mountains areas, into a farming community, where coffee, bananas, etc are being grown, to locate some that has in fact been long-term cultivated for exactly that: potency. I'd believe that you are going to have a much better chance locating it there, than in a city.

420empire

Veteran
Agreed on both the statements from willy and dark.s. however I have plouged through outdoor thai(in thailand), indoors thai and modern cali. I would say all catagories contain some nice strains. I would say banner, glue, bubbelgum, banana kush, Green crack and zkittles etc. Contain some nice fire. However if one aquire a good plant from the thai side of things, then you can be Lucky to get some Really proper speedspaceshuttle weed. But it can take a long time to sift to get a individuel like that. I tried weed in luang pranbang, which gave a High which was ok stanard and then you got groggy/sleepy after 2-3 hours.. buds was slender og smelled like fruits and flowers. Same goes for the brick i Got in Korat. I Think Maybe a good Chunk of the thai is not selected that good...so it end up with being meh' .. so maybe it just need Some big sift , and the gold nuggets will turn up.😅
However i live in EU and we have some locals strains bhought by hippies from their travels. Then the strains have been mixed with dutch strains through the 90'es. They are solid, the grow good, and the High is Also Nice. Still people from my area also like cookies and glue...so Guess is maybe Because we are curios and like new terps and highs? Save the landraces save the hybrids🙏

romanoweed

However i live in EU and we have some locals strains bhought by hippies from their travels.
exactly. why most people dont grow old original thaiseeds is crazy. im puffing some real nice stuff... hahah

original seeds are just better atleast in my oppion. the two modern collected Landraces i had were bouth hectic, headachy next morning, made me slightly agressive in mood next day.
the rare occasion of 70s thai line was not hectic, no headache, no agressiveness, only downside it was slightly inbreeding depressed, so the feeling of inbreeding depression is that its slightly less fresh effect.

if i understood you right you are the first person that brings a hard realiticheck on how modern thai is, in direct comparison to old thai. I 100 percent agree!
congratulations, if you now just buy old thai-lines, you get happy, haha atleast with the lesser inbreed ones, take a clone from the best plant. congratulations.

Hmong

Veteran
the two modern collected Landraces i had were bouth hectic, headachy next morning, made me slightly agressive in mood next day.

most of them are, that's just what high THC in absence of other cannabinoids does, it's psychotic.
Comes with the territory when taking these on.
It's on the grower to hunt through his jars and find what fits.
full

smoking the blue #7 right now, a Laos, longest pheno, huge plant
introspective, active, also dumb with regular lapses, so nice stone but still racy
quite good for housework
gonna try red #8 next, Hmong Hilltribe, average pheno

Laos, 18+ weeks, indoor with mite damage
full

full

Last edited:

T.H. Seed

Hey y'all, I've been reading through this thread in preparation for my first pure NLD sativa grow. About a week ago I put some "Lao Sa accession" seeds from TRSC into pots.
They went directly into a 12/12 flowering tent and will likely be dropped to 11/13 in a few weeks to help speed up the preflowering stages.

Attachments

• 20230427_130824.jpg
    20230427_130824.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20230427_130829.jpg
    20230427_130829.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 20230427_130837.jpg
    20230427_130837.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230427_130849.jpg
    20230427_130849.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35

T.H. Seed

the groundwork is done, now it's just 6 more months of increasingly hard labor.
Good luck going from seed!
:plant grow:
I was kinda hoping the labor would decrease once they work work through the long stretch (first couple months or so in flower)
Am I wrong in thinking that? Would you mind clarifying?
Thank you!

Hmong

Veteran
You manage them via root space, it's good to have em already flower properly before going into the final container. Therefore sexed clones are easier to work with, they root less vigorous than seedlings. You seen the plants a couple of pages before.
Doesn't matter the light cycle, any seedling still needs time to reach sexual maturity before doing anything, so there will be at least 70 days of just growing ahead before they show what they are and after that, the stretch just starts.
If you cant house a 7ft plant with pot properly under a lamp, better take clones.

if height is no issue you can ignore anything of course

Last edited:

T.H. Seed

Unfortunately this is just a test run, I'll be out of country for three months at the end of the year, so I'm not doing any cloning from this batch. These Lao Sa are essentially for fun and practical experience. They will be cobbed and cured following Tangwena's Malawi method, if female.
Any males will be used to make seeds with a GG#4 and an Afghani female.

T.H. Seed

Still have stunted growth on one of these Lao Sa seedlings. The other two are growing fairly uniform. All seem happy and healthy under bright lights and warm temps.

Attachments

• 20230505_153438.jpg
    20230505_153438.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 42
  • 20230505_153444.jpg
    20230505_153444.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 20230505_153500.jpg
    20230505_153500.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 20230505_153514.jpg
    20230505_153514.jpg