What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rookie Aero Flo Grow Together

No Problem

No Problem

DF, no problem with listening to the master. Just what I used.

I think you previously stated not using RO water and your ppm's were around 80? I use ro with 5ppm max so you may ask AK if you need to add your beginning ppm (plain water) to the desired ending ppm with nutes?

GL

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Lucas formula(0,8,16) is for bloom (and has to be cut back a lot and needs additives to work in aero) - you are in veg. Oldergrower's recipe is an N heavy veg formula. Probably better than the even 1:1:1 in this instance. I used 111 when I got in trouble when I used GH - your plants are not that bad off and would benefit from the extra N.

Not using RO water adds a little twist - I wouldn't go over 450 ppm until you have more data.

Keep us updated - we are all here to help.

-AK

Okay, just got up to speed on the posts.... Somehow I missed a bunch of them!!

-AK I will mix up the following and see how we look??

5 veg
2.5 micro
1.5 bloom
450ppm max
5.3-6.3 pH

Now do you allow your pH to fluctuate between either or?? If so when it rises to 6.3 do u drop it to 5.3 and let it rise again?? Vice versa for falling pH? I usually keep it between 5.6-6.0(I was advised to do this Bc it takes up certain nutez at different ph)

NO MORE STUMP TEA!!! I'll inform my lil bro and the hydro store guys...

BruceLeeroy

Trying to chase ph is never a good idea, Always best to pick a range and not adjust unless you fall outside of it. With my aeroflo I like to keep it at 5.4 a 6.0 for veg and 5.6 to 6.2 for bloom. I usually set it in the middle and adjust it if it goes above or below back to the middle. Very cool thread!

One thing I've noticed with the aeroflo is that damage happens quick but takes a while to show. You can screw up nutes on day 5, correct it on day 6, damage starts to appear on day 7 and gets worse/more obvious through day 10. This makes it important to be very vigilant and rapidly correct problems, but it's also important you don't let already corrected damage force knee jerk changes that cause more harm than good.

Excellent advice on clipping the zip strips, I did that on both of my systems to get a bare minimum water level.

BruceLeeroy

I should also add that I run with way higher ppm's... It's very strain dependent with the aeroflo, I had my girls (Afgooey) up to 1200 around that size with no Ill effects... But I've also had strains that capped out at 600! What a crazy plant!

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-DF
Give that a shot. You should see positive results within a day or so. Let the pH drift. You will have less pH stability - so don't let it get right to the limits before adjusting.

On the Lucas Formula

Lucas will work in veg true, but not in aero. It was designed for DWC. For aero it has to be hugely diluted to the point of not being Lucas any more and requires at a minimum Epsom salt infusions to become workable. The problem then becomes pH stability. DWC is much, much different than aero.

I spent a few years wrestling with this problem for my application to find the base recipies I use. Strains obviously vary, but finding a solid starting point is more than half the battle.

For this reason, in bloom, we will use my base recipies. For me to support members of the group effectively we must be using the same nutes. The objective of this thread is to get relative first timers through a grow successfully. There will be plenty of time for experiments later - lets get some solid results first!

-AK

I'm on it!! I'm mixing the rez while my girl simultaneously mixes me a Hennessy and coke ;-)

-AK

You said don't let it get right to the limit before adjusting... Should I just aim for the middle? Sorry, kinda confused...

UPDATE:

I added the three parts... Luckily my intuition told me start weak because at half strength I'm at 427ppm and 5.97pH... I will check up on it later...

AK two questions:
1. Should I top now? Or wait for a lil healthier plants?
2. I am still unclear about ppm conversion rates

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-DF

Numbers look good.

1 - wait till you have healthy plants - shouldn't be too long.

2 - Different meter manufacturers sometimes use different conversion rates from Ec to calculate ppm or tds. The most common conversion(and the one I use) is .5.

3 - Floranova bloom is a one part nute for bloom. Florabloom is part of the 3 part base GH nutes.

For your purposes (high N veg formula), and at these low concentrations - its not going to make a huge difference. You are just getting a touch of PK from it for the formula. You end up with a small extra bit of N and organics. For other applications I would not recommend the substitution.

-Ak

Mmmmmkay...

The only reason im using nova is because I use it in my flood tables and it's all I have at the moment... I could substitute with powder koolbloom?

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Run it for now. I'd say you need a couple days to get the plants healthy - top em - then a week to week and and half till the flip to bloom. So at the most you have two weeks till bloom nutes.

It will be all good

-AK

Awesome!! They are looking slightly better... The chem valley kush are being affected the most... Anywho, should I tear off all the sickly leaves? I usually tear off anything more than 50% effed up... Anything different?

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Until they recover and start growing new ones, let the plant decide if it wants them. If there is still any green left, the plant can scavenge mobile nutrients from damaged leaves while it heals itself. They can look pretty when they feel better.

-AK

I am going to post some pics tomorrow when I wake up.... I would appreciate a quick response.... These girls are scaring the hell out of me!!! They are growing nicely but still look sick!!! See y'all then:)

HAPPY LABOR DAY ALL!!!

I am scared....

I am scared....

***There are a ton of pics from this morning in my album labeled 9.4.12****

okay, took a little longer than expected to get here but here are the pics.... I am dying to tear off all the messed up foliage!!! I usually grow in a flood table and anything remotely close to any of these gets torn right off!!!

-AK: When you said if they got some green in them leave them did u mean if they are literally the color green? Or if they are still soft?

These little ladies, with the exclusion of a couple, seem to be growing at a decent pace now... I havent pruned or torn off any foliage yet because they are still recovering and i need to make some clones from these..

****ROOTS*** Do these roots look right? They dont look like the white roots shooting out everywhere?

Thanks in advance guys!! I am prepared to make whatever adjustments tonight and should be making some money this week and able to get the nutez:-

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-DF

Any green left in leaves - means there is mobile nutrients available for the plant to help heal itself.

They look to be recovering - I don't see new damage. Go ahead and yank the ugly leaves.

So what is your pruning strategy? Those should be topped soon - in the next day or so.

Hopefully they can get on the nutes soon.

-AK

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some ugly burnt roots on page 2 - you need new growth before flipping to bloom with these. With stabilized nutes you should see new root growth shortly.

-AK

Pruning: I plan on doing half exactly how u do and half with fim/leaving more other foliage... Right now i am just leaving it all so I can take clones from them... We have no mothers:-(

Nutez: we are working to get them ASAP!!! However, in the mean time, any suggestions? lol! Maybe leave them since the new growth looks okay? Also, I always have to add calmag to my rez... Any chance that any of this damage is from calmag def?

Roots: is there any chance that they are just stained from the floranova?? That shit is brown mud!!! Also, if they are burnt should I do anything special to them??

Latest posts

Latest posts