What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HOT FFOF

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone ever encountered a hot bag of FFOF??

I was mixing up some FFOF.. So I got a pot and filled it. I watered until run of. The EC was 4. I can tell ya even after letting this mix sit a few days the EC will still be very high. Im going to mix a few bags of Light Warrior to 1 bag of FFOF. This should fix the problem. I will measure the new batch after I get it all. I know runoff is not accurate but I have never seen EC 4 on anything I have ever tested.. Sometimes it would go off scale..

there are enough nutes in ffof for a month or more i believe
i did one soil grow and i needed 35 bags of ffof and will never do soil again too dirty

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
has anyone measured the runoff of a new bag of FFOF?? I always use FFOF/FFHF/FFLW with Excellent results....This was my first bag of FFOF I used without mixing it first...I need to make a new batch anyway..

señorsloth

Veteran
i don't think you can test runoff with an ec, i mean you are basically making a huge mud tea...of course the ec is going to be high(try testing a cold cup of coffee), but not necessarily exclusively nutrients causing that... i mean in an organic mix nutrients are not the only particles affecting the conductivity of the water, lots of soils and gunk, that's why electrical conductivity tests don't work for runoff in organic soil. besides that I've always been under the impression that most of the "heat" from fox farm soil comes from slower release organic ferts...like worm castings and stuff, i mean it's not really slow release, but it's not just ro water and salts, there are a million particles of different things floating around in runoff...

also, i know happy frog is a little different, but i plant my seedlings and clones right into it and have never had a burn from it, i have actually heard many organic growers claiming that it's impossible to burn plants with ocean forest, so i just assumed it was similar to my happy frog...if it's organic and it's not burning your plants i wouldn't worry about it. if it is i'm not sure you can really flush organic ferts from the soil like you can salts...maybe try more happy frog? it's got a cute bag afterall...lol

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have never had a burn from my mix. This time I just used FFOF Im noticing some issues on the plants I used it on. Its not burn but definitely getting an overdose of N for sure..I will keep an eye on these plants I don't even know what the sex is yet. I will do the rest with my mix no worries then..

Im aware of the bad or inconsistent reading from Organics. I have tried to measure many brands of it. I have never had a batch come in at 4EC or more. I do take notes of what i'm putting in. I never test whats coming out unless there is a issues i'm trying to track down. It definitely will tell me if its to hot and what action to take to fix it..

nukklehead

I have grown straight FFOF ( for the most part) for years. ( plants, mature seed, clones etc.)

Oh Ive tried tweaking here and there when I felt the plant needed it
i.e usually my diagnoses was wrong..... lol... jus went on about my way and have done ok/pretty good for myself.

Like you hammer I have found FFOF to be pretty inconsistent.... doesnt mean I dont like it.. just means you have to adapt to it. .

Like you said .. when I found some FFOF that seemed hot, I cut it with
Light warrior, EWC, perilite, or whatever to cool it off.

If she seemed to cold I spritzed her with organic bottle nutes....

Im trying a new gig though.. Im recycling my ffof for the next grow.

Will add VERY light amendments to the soil, then will cut it with
new ffof and depending on the plants behavior will amend with
teas and bottle nutes.. I call this my transition stage into recycling/100% organics. Ive been hobbying for 8 years now ( I think??) and it does seem ffof has become more and more inconsistent over the times. Hell I heard Scotts bought them so
I really dont expect the quality/consistency to climb. i.e my
transition into recycling/100% organics...
Sad to say I think the days of FFOF "set it and forget it" are over.
keep it green!

the gnome

Veteran
I have used FFOF cut only with perite 3:1 for aeration and have never had any probs with for 2 years now. I also use OF with blood-bone and kelp meals for my organic veggies and herbs with beautiful results.
I just started cutting it with coco and results are even better

my ppms are around 1800 runoff with fresh OF and the plants seem to love it.
but it wouldn't be the 1st time someone gets hit with a too hot bag of goodies

hey nukklehead, Ive been saving my used OF for a while and plan on ammending it also and use it for out door organic box gardens

Guest02345

i think my latest batch of HF was a lil hot had to add a lil more lime to it than usual. the runoff was 5.7-5.8.

DankSide

If anything I've probably had too 'cold' a mix before. Maybe I used too much perlite, or maybe they fed a little hard, but one time had an experience where N deficiency got there quick and I thought that stuff came packed with goodies?

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Wuh-choo-talkin-bout-Willis!

Wuh-choo-talkin-bout-Willis!

You cant accurately messure the ec/tds in soil. You cant test soil ph accurately by the run off either.

These things have been discussed to great lengths here before. Im sure if you searched, you could find the threads. Many respectable people took part in those threads. Its worth the reading....

Take care... BC

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ya I know but it still gives me a data point I can track. When I mix up my soil I know what that is and its very consistent. I checked the FFOF bag it was 2x as high as what my ave data tells me. So since I had 3 plants in it I decided to flush it until i got 2-2.5 ec.. Plants are fine look a bit stressed from the ordeal..:) ....

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
hmm...

hmm...

Im sorry my friend, but you cant flush the nutes outta organic soil. You might flush enough humates/humic acid out to turn the water brown, but the nutes are still there.

Flushing when no soluble (bottle) nutes are in the soil does nothing but drownd yer plants. You cant fiush soil thats been amended, its locked up in it until the micro critters break it down.

FFOF is amended with fish meal, crab meal, worm castings, etc...

Im not tryin ta be a butthead, I jus think its important that people understand whats goin on with organic soil.

Take care... BC

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know your trying to help BC. I would never think your being a butt head lol. Having a EC of 4/off scale there was something wrong with this bag what ever that was. After flushing to a reading of 2EC im fine with that. I know all about not being accurate Im not interested in accuracy I just want a lower reading them what I started at and this seems to work. I have never seen any soil read 4/off scale. The plants where telling me they where overdosed with something. I think it was N. The growth was very strange on the 3 plants I used that bag with. After flushing the EC has stabilized to 1.7 they are looking better that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yup i just encountered a hot batch on my last run...usually i mix with light warrior too but lately ive been lazy and just mixing perlite.

but anyways...my plants burned tough through the first few weeks of flower...i ended up starting flush at day 30 all the way to day 65 and the plants were still dark green and lush....one of the weirdest runs ive ever had. im switching things up to coco for the better drainage...and also doing some FFOF/coco mix to see what that does, hoping they use all the nutes up by week 3-4 then i can start boosting with liquid fert..

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
If there are no water soluble nutrients in FFOF soil, how can you flush them out? Yer stressing yer plants for nothing. The soil is amended so the nutrieints are locked up in it, *ec/tds messure is useless.*

Organic Gardening 101.

BC

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont think you are understanding my friend. There was obviously something in this bag that should not have been there. Im just going to leave it at that. Have a great 420 :) whats left of it...

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
I use leaf mold compost bought in a bag at the local nursery to cut the FFOF. That stopped all the high N leaf curling that was always happening with straight up FFOF.

For those that reuse their soil you might try FF Happy Frog all-purpose fertilizer(5-5-5) in the green bag. Good stuff in that green bag.