What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fans getting hot from pulling through lights...

For those of you who PULL air through your lights.. Do you have fans go out often? I never really thought of this until today when i took my fan down for cleaning and noticed that the center of the fan where the bearings are was hot. So hot i couldnt touch it for a minute!! It wasnt restricted in any way, so im guessing it came from the heat that it was pulling from the lights. I vaguely remember reading that most fans can operate up to 140 degrees. We all know our lights run much much hotter than that. Just looking for some input.

sso

Veteran
i think the oil in the fan gives out faster this way.

but the plants are happier and paying for weed is much more expensive, so hey..

so far ive gone 1 year per fan, but im not so fond of the fans ive bought, the economy is crazy around here though, for a quality blower i would pay 2-300 bucks..

sso

Veteran
pff, would pay 1500 bux per month (and still be mostly unsatisfied) if i bought instead of growing..

BlueBalls

Common trouble with inline fans. Everything is in the air flow. Squirrel cage style fans, with the motor and bearings outside the air flow, are better for venting hot air.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
i pull air through my lights and i've had the same vortex fans for about 5 years now, still going strong. so don't worry about it

Lammy

Ive never known cap to replace anything under warranty and a lot of their stuff has crapped out on me pretty quick.

In all fairness I've been using their 8 inch inline fan for over year and several of their reflectors with no problems.

mintz

i dont know how many lights you lot are running but why dont you push air through instead of pull !

Lammy

i dont know how many lights you lot are running but why dont you push air through instead of pull !

Blowing air into the flex ducts expand them to maximum length but sucking contracts them.

I wasn't complaining about heat though.

kln

i got a s&p fan runnig conected only to the aircooled reflectors going for 3 years running perfect!

supermanlives

Veteran
Ive never known cap to replace anything under warranty and a lot of their stuff has crapped out on me pretty quick.

In all fairness I've been using their 8 inch inline fan for over year and several of their reflectors with no problems.
cap has replace anything that ever broke . well discount hydro did anyhow. they send replacements immediately and you mail back broken object within 30 days with enclosed shipping label. i have several of their fans and reflectors and lots of other stuff. i like the reflectors for ease of cleaning.being hinged and all.

the gnome

Veteran
2 yrs now on my 6" elicent pulling 2000Ws no probs at all.
all fans(the goods ones anyways) should provide a spec sheet with operational
temp ranges

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
The dayton 265 I run is always very hot? it's ran for several years that way. I always wondered about it.... Needless to say I check the smoke detectores in there often.

Does anybody else's squirrel cage fan run hot?

BC

nukklehead

Vortex is the way to go.. 4 years and still running strong... had an elicent prior and it is still running strong for other duties... ( drying out my basement when it floods.. lol) Only reason I bought the vortex over the elicent is the higher cfm's. but both are quality and last..
Not shittin on CAPS because never tried them...but.. in this situation I will go with the ole saying you get what you pay for