What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yellow Leaves in Week 4 of Flower

rrog

Veteran
Growing Plush Berry in SuperSoil.
Week 4 of flower
Under 600W HPS. New Ushio bulb and MicroMole ballast
Light is 12" from tops of plants. Not remotely hot near plant surface
Running Blumats

2012-04-09_10-42-54_986.jpg

Dense canopy with 2 females in Scrog. 2 fans blowing under and one over the plants.

2012-04-09_10-48-54_86.jpg

The fastest growing bud in the middle look like this. No browning. I believe they are filling in greener than this AM. They looked more yellow earlier this AM

My sense is that they are growing very fast and the chlorophyll hasn't caught up. Is this reasonable?

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
Thanks again. Not thinking this has anything to do with nutes, as the soil sets the pH where it wants it. Also, there's not even a hint of a brown tip on any leaves, new or old.

And it looks greener than earlier

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you have vermicompost (EWC) make a slurry and topdress. OR use some fish hydrolysate.

rrog

Veteran
What's your thought MM? Seems non-nutrient on the one hand since they'll be green later tonight. Seems like something's not keeping up.

Temps are also cool at night. 62 maybe

rrog

Veteran
I'm thinking low night temps at 60-62 and / or the lights too close. Other 600W users keep lights in a cooled hood 10-12" no problem, but the bulb and ballast are brand new

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's your thought MM? Seems non-nutrient on the one hand since they'll be green later tonight. Seems like something's not keeping up.

Temps are also cool at night. 62 maybe

Just thinking that VC slurry is the great balancer for many assorted issues.

Are ya using 6in vortex type to extract? 3 fans blowing on plants is a bunch of wind

rrog

Veteran
6" vortex for the tube, so no heat on plant. The three fans are small and on low. Not a lot of wind

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Definitely not low temps.

Agreed. I think you have damage to the tops because your light is too close to the plants. 12" is very close, what is the wattage of your bulb?

MM is correct that if you have a nute or ph issue the EWC will straiten any of that out over a week or two's time.

The damage doesn't look like wind burn to me. Usually that results in ultra crispy leaves, and your leaves just look pail. Pail leaves to me seem more like over light exposure. I have burnt many plants putting them out in the sun before hardening them off, and they all kind of look like your pics. So my best guess, bulbs are too close.

rrog

Veteran
Thanks OB. I have moved lights to 15" from bulb. They are also greening back up. This is a brand new 600W HPS from Ushio. Also a new MicroMole ballast.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
OK my guess...
Lower leaves look fine which leads me to GUESS that it is a light bleaching issue or a watering issue..(too much/too little water )...cold ass water on living soil can cause a brief period of lockout that shows in the new growth if those temps between the warm soil and incoming cold water are at greater ends of the temp scale.

Lower growth looks positive,back off the lights as suggested...and try a EWC/Compost topdress for a recovery and positive new tissue growth. BTW..I have never put flowers closer than 18 inches from an HID...any closer and they surely will bleach...even at 2-3 feet some types still do...
my 2cents!~

rrog

Veteran
All great opinions. Thanks. Looking at cable-type light movers. My old chains are a PIA.

Regarding the cold, the water is well water that runs inside for 50 feet, before my Blumats drip into the pails. Likely warmed in the small water tubing before the drip. So not thinking cold water or under / over watering in my case.

rrog

Veteran
UPDATE:

In case anyone is wondering, I am 99% sure this is the new light bulb. I should have accounted for this. The Ushio bulbs are pretty bright and it's brand new. My last bulb was a Hort and older so output lower.

Also, I don't expect the green to fill in those leaves.

Blue Socks

Thanks for the reply. It's soil so it's never measured

Wait, what?

Even organic soil can be too acidic or basic why would you not have to check it? I think it's your soil that is the problem not the lights but if you have checked your run off and it's in an acceptable range then I guess that would be it. But those leaves looked nute locked not light burned imo