What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mag def or something else?

smoothy

HI All,

I'm new to the site and am having a classic Mag def. problem. I've given plants a tablespoon of epsom salt per gallon water- and waited 1 1/2 wks and still no improvement. Just wanted to get second opinions on this def. Plants are Bigbud at 13 inch in 1 gallon pots. Just wanted to get second opinions on this def.

PS- Soil -FFOF
Temps-75-80
PH-6.6 - 6.7
Lights-1000watt MH
Vent-Good

Attachments

• 1plany.jpg
    1plany.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2plant.jpg
    2plant.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 7
  • 3plant.jpg
    3plant.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 5
T

TribalSeeds

Any other nutes added at high levels that could have locked out mg? The only other questions I would have about the info you've provided is, how close to the 1000w? How long in the FFOF?

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Bottom fan leaves yellowing is a classic sign of hunger. Feed with a balanced fert... and she'll be fine. Good luck! BC

smoothy

Its been a couple of days now and I'm trying to figure this out because this happened last grow. No improvements. No nutes were given yet and plants got this way. Still in FFOrganic Soil.
Last grow when this happened i did all that i am mentioning now and still nothing work to stop it. I just kept on growing my plants out until harvest that way. No one would comment or give advice at other sites. Not too bad of a harvest but still plants looked like mag def throught out rest of the grow! Also-different strainlast year-Lethal Purple, OG kush#18.

Plant 1) 1ml House and garden fert= 2nd day a few small tips burnt
Plant 2) 1 and 1/2 ml Cal-mag = No difference
Plant 3) 2ml Mag-Amp = No difference
Plant 4) 4ml Mag-Amp= No difference

Going to wait til Saturday and flush roots and repot into bigger pots as they are ready. Thinking that its FF soil with all those nutes in it. Also, everytime i watered the plants, they would get alittle more darker green. Maybe try different soil to repot in ?
Sure could use some advice at the moment.

Lower your ph to 6 - 6.5. Are you using tap water? Let it ait overnight before making any adjustments to it. I have had similar problems in the past, not anymore though. Changed those two things. The top is eating the bottom becauae its not getting something it needs. Chlorine in the water makes it worse which is where i had to let the water rest overnight. It evaporates right off that way. good luck.

RidgeRebel

1.5ml per gal of cal-mag isn't going to do it. id say give it a regular dose (5ml). or some grow nutes as per the directions on the bottle. they look like they're hungry to me. I'm confused you have a deficiency and haven't fertilized but you think the ocean forest "with all those notes" did it? your plants are hungry. fertilizer is your friend. feed them. if you're concerned; flush them... then feed them.. but dammit, feed them! its not over fertilized from the ocean forest... i've seen this a million times.

purple_man

Veteran
high!

id recommend first lowering the ph value to 6,0 - 6,2 aswell, and see if it gets better, if not, feed it WITH 6.2 ph and ec 1.1 - 1.2, plus i hope you got drainage holes in that pot, ... stagnant/stale water aint a good thing...

blessss

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Fox farm ocean forest is good for 3 weeks to a month, depending on the size of the pot and the plant. These plants are at that point, they need food! What you have given them is no where near enough! Step it up to the suggested recomended amount atleast.

I've used this soil fer years, trust me, they need ta EAT! lol

Keep us posted so others may learn from it, thanks.

Btw, a good rule of thumb is a gallon of soil per foot of plant, you need to transplant if yer gonna keep veggin these. Jus more tell tale signs of hunger. Also, ocean forest has a lot of humus in it, so ph-ing really isn't necessary. I never have.... BC

Last edited:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Your plant looks hungry, yes. But w/ the way the leaf is yellowing from the edges inward looks like Mg def as per Joe fresh' sticky. Little bump for ya Joe. Check that one out, very comprehensive. cheers

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Gardening 101

Gardening 101

Why didn't the epsom salt cure the mag def? because some nutrients get locked out from the plant unless they have other nutrients to help the plant uptake and utilize them. Esp calcium, magnesium, and iron. This is the very reason they're sold together in 1 bottle at the grow stores. Cal-mag-plus, or jus cal-mag for example.

Now, again, you have a 13 inch plant in a 1 gallon pot. How long you reckon it took to grow that plant, about 3 weeks? a month? roots plumb through the pot? prolly huh?...... The soil is depleted, so it needs a balanced fert that covers -all- the nutrient basics, otherwise yul create another lockout of some sort.

You could even transplant into a 2 gal and I bet it would correct itself, as long as you don't leave it in there too long again without feeding.

If you do what yuv done, yul get what you got! wait?..... what? I don't know what else ta say. lol BC

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Gardening 102

Gardening 102

Yall thats worried and clamering about the ph. Do a search on the effects on ph in the presence of humates and or humic acid. Yul see it buffers it, allowing the plant to feed regardless of ph. In organics it's really the plant itself that controls the ph in its rootzone.

This info is all here at IC Mag for you to learn from, check it out.

Later gang, BC

smoothy

Thanx for all the advice! I'm gonna do a flush just to be safe and it shouldn't hurt, then repot them into 3 gallon buckets with fresh soil.The reason i thought it was too much nutes was when i did try to feed them last grow and just recently, the problem seem to worsen. This is what has me stumped! Thanx again for all the good advice which i will diffinitely use.

JOE CHRONIC

HI All,

I'm new to the site and am having a classic Mag def. problem. I've given plants a tablespoon of epsom salt per gallon water- and waited 1 1/2 wks and still no improvement. Just wanted to get second opinions on this def. Plants are Bigbud at 13 inch in 1 gallon pots. Just wanted to get second opinions on this def.

PS- Soil -FFOF
Temps-75-80
PH-6.6 - 6.7
Lights-1000watt MH
Vent-Good

Thanx for all the advice! I'm gonna do a flush just to be safe and it shouldn't hurt, then repot them into 3 gallon buckets with fresh soil.The reason i thought it was too much nutes was when i did try to feed them last grow and just recently, the problem seem to worsen. This is what has me stumped! Thanx again for all the good advice which i will diffinitely use.

Hey smoothy,
You didn't mention feeding ferts in your original post, what ferts have you fed them ?

Also, FFOF is a great soil, I use it myself but with no ferts the soil is only hot enough for about 2-3 weeks max.

Try some FF grow BIG as recommended on the label, works well...

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
No need to flush, the soil is depleted, what nutes you have added will make no difference. Flushing will only be stressfull and prolong their hunger, for nothing.

Transplant a.s.a.p. before more leaves are sacrificed. In 3 gal pots under a 1K MH these babies are gonna blow up quickly! It wont take long for that soil to deplete again, so watch those bottom leaves for yellowing. When they do yul know thats the que for you to feed em.

Its simple once you learn what to look for. Best of luck, BC

smoothy

BC i didn't flush em yet but did give a dose of 1ml of House and garden A&B organic nutes.
All other leaves, not yellowing are getting very dark green. Ph is 6.6-6.7. I'll post some more pics to show you what they look like now. The very dark green leaves is what is making me beleave that they have all the nutes they need! One other problem-I forgot to mention I put 1 1/2 tables of lime to a gallon of soil -sorry bout that. I dont know y the epsom salt didn't work. I am diffinitely going to transplant tomorrow into bigger pots.Also-BC-i was trying to PM you earlier on with this problem and i'm getting a message that i don't have permission and or not enough posts. Can you tell me what the site means , i can't find out and have been looking around the site on the faq but no answers.

smoothy

Thanx Mountain High and i just found that info and came back to site and u already posted it. Its nice to be able to go to a site and actually get some help as other sites aren't so hepful or people are krull!