What's new

COCO Growers to the rescue?

Marshmello

I went into to look at the girls & I found small white furry patch of what I assume is a type of mold, right on the surface of the coir.
Camera batteries are dead so no pix @ the moment, will get posted ASAP.
Looks like any type of mold I ever saw before...but WTF is it doing there?
And better yet...WTF CAN I DO ABOUT IT?
I have been searching and find nothing when using "coco mold" & any combination thereof.

:fsu:

Marshmello

bump4.jpg

sometimes coco has a layer of that white stuff after a while, if i remember right its not the usual kind of bad mold, and i've never had it affect my grow. post a pic for confirmation

sometimes coco has a layer of that white stuff after a while, if i remember right its not the usual kind of bad mold, and i've never had it affect my grow. post a pic for confirmation

yea, i wouldnt be so quick to call that top layer mold. i would say it very well could be precipitate, from your nutrients. i have gotten it plenty of times before, it looks like whitish "colonies" across a top layer on coco. it doesnt really seem to go away. infact, it increases in mass, as time goes by. the precipitate seems to collect more and more once a small patch is started.

mold will readily disapeer with a single application of hydrogen peroxide. if nothing happens, dont worry about it, it is chemical build up.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Humidity might be too high? Are you letting the coir dry before rewatering?

I don't think it's unusual or anything to worry about. I had that mold grow on overwatered houseplants in the past.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
if you have organics it very well could be just the good bacteria breaking down the organic compounds.... ive been in coco for 6 months and never have seen mold...

Marshmello

Well I'll be a mutha....I just missed y'all last nite. :sasmokin:

freeride high~ Thank-You Sir, and I might try that if some of these coco ideas don't work. Ride High, Brah.

Whatever~ Yes Sir, I have seen this "crusty" type stuff on the surface....the next response goes further...but, this is most definitely MOLD. Peace.

buddin~ Thanks for checkin' in. I have watched exactly what you are talking about happening throughout the flower stage. That shit is like it's own little creature....that was why this got so far without me noticing it.....quick glance just appeared to be what you're speaking of. Further observation showed what is in the picture...when you say use peroxide...not diluted? Just sprayed onto the surface? Hopefully...you'll see this again. Peace. :joint:

!!!~ Thank You for responding.....I run on E&F & I feed 3x's a day for 20min.
1hr per 24hr. No, they never really get dry at any point.....now that you mention it, I think I have seen something like this on a houseplant before...maybe @ an Aunt's or something....
This schedule has been pretty awesome from the buddy teaching me,
he is out of town until next week though so I'm seeking the assistance of y'all. :yoinks: :laughing:
Is there a better place to seek help?:joint:

PoopyT~:wave: No Organics here, Mr. Bags. I am posting a pic I took this morning.
This is clearly a white fuzzy type mold. Another buddy of mine that runs coco says he's never seen it in over a year......weird schitt. I'll be posting the actions taken here so....just in case....
Peace

And here is the pic of this crap:
picture.php

It was covering about 3/4 of the 1g pot surface. I cut out this piece because the camera wouldn't focus on the surface.
I scraped appx. 1.5" of the surface and down the main stem until I encountered excellent roots. No sign of damping or rot in any forms....
No bad smells or any of the red flags i have read about...
it looked perfectly fine.

It doesn't appear to be having any ill effects whatsoever....
What is the strongest strength peroxide I can hit them with as they are going into wk5 of flower?

Thanks Again Folks.
I hope y'all are smokin' good. :joint:

A

Aleksis Stoned

If you're using anything organic i would reconsider using peroxide specially if the mold does not harm your plants. Peroxide will kill every living thing in your medium. You say that it is in top of your medium - have you tried to cover it with something that light cannot pass through? Usually easiest way to get rid of any unwanted living organisms. I really don't have any experience with mold so don't take this for granted but i do know something about peroxide and that is always the last resort.

Edit:
Doh just read your post above lol. So no organics... Be careful with peroxide! Too much will burn your roots. We are talking bout permille or less...

Edit2:
Oh f**k! Still gotta clear something. These guys are talking bout that black bottle called hydrogen peroxide. That is like really light mix of peroxide. You can buy heavy duty peroxide from pharmacy stores and that is what i'm talking about. Basically same stuff but much heavier. Same sh*t to whiten your hair with. Cheaper but...be very careful when applying real peroxide!

Marshmello

Thanks for all your responses....
I have decided to just scrape off the top inch or so and replace it with new coco.
I don't want to overspray and fuck something up, which, I could see happening. :joint:
Will be much easier to just scrape 'em.
I'll try and get some pics posted after the operation.

Peace
.:Mello:.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
That look like more than I thought. The top should be drying off way before any mold gets a foothold. How long does the surface stay moist?

Also, important! Don't smell unknown molds. Most of the time it's safe but when it's not, it can be costly to your health and wallet. Spray the top with water so any spores that might be there don't float off while you're handling the mold.

C

CannaCompulsory

meant to b there

meant to b there

I went into to look at the girls & I found small white furry patch of what I assume is a type of mold,

:fsu:

Molds kinda generic description like "weeds". Lots of good coco coir brands inoculate with something like aendo or ecto mycorrhizal fungi-great for root zone. If the appear in small white tufts like that, thats what it b...:xmasnut:

I don't see how it can be poor drainage in pure coco... I think H2O2 is good shit and if you think the stuff (which surely is mould) is harming the girls, give em a blast. There are one or two excellent threads here about hydrogen peroxide.

P.S. It looks pretty harmless to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts