What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can i go with 400 HPS from start to finish?

desant

Veteran
I got the 400 HPS light, and i have no floros, remind me, i sure i read somewhere u can use 400 HPS for veg grow too???

frantischek

Yes you can. No Prob.
The only thing thats different, your Plants will stretch a little more than with blue light. Also the rooting will be better through the higher ammount of red light.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on the number of plants, but yes the results should be good. Good luck!

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
No way, plant shrivel up and die if they get hps in veg.

I'm just kidding, of course you can, it won't make that big of a difference vs. mh.

C

cracker420

i have ran all of my plant under a 400w HPS for veg and havent had a problem yet. i got a bulb from htgsupply.com that has a bit more blue spectrum to it. but it works great!!

desant

Veteran
i got a bulb from htgsupply.com that has a bit more blue spectrum to it. but it works great!!

I kno i had one like that in my first gro in 2003

Very good veg gro... maybe i should get one of these blueish 400 HPS lights?

Is it going to be OK to plug into the socket and ballast from ordinary 400 HPS ??

Orcala

My beans only took off when I transfered them from my 6500K CFL's to my 1000W HPS. HPS kills other lights.

I've used an HPS from start to finish a couple of times. From my experiences I'd say it might be a good idea to give the seedlings a bit of distance from the light (1-2 feet), or maybe leave them under a CFL or two instead of the HPS for the first couple of days, as the radiant heat from the HPS can be a bit intense for little babies. The stretch is not as bad as some make it out to be and can be completely negated if you re-pot and bury the lower portion of the stem.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I've used an HPS from start to finish a couple of times. From my experiences I'd say it might be a good idea to give the seedlings a bit of distance from the light (1-2 feet), or maybe leave them under a CFL or two instead of the HPS for the first couple of days, as the radiant heat from the HPS can be a bit intense for little babies. The stretch is not as bad as some make it out to be and can be completely negated if you re-pot and bury the lower portion of the stem.

:yeahthats What WhateverComes said :yeahthats

Anima

Yes you can use the 400w for the whole grow. Start out with the light at least 24inches above your plants so they do not fry.
Peace and kindness
-Anima

Nemesi5

yes that will work out fine. i have a swichable so i used mh in veg but. have you considered looking into CMH for veg? you should be able to use a cmh bulb in that 400w hps and then flower pop in hps bulb. even if you use regular hps in veg u will have good light. maybe a bit of strech but more lumens. it'll work out good

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Just remember when switching from lower light to higher light that the pots will dry faster especially with little babies and are easy to dry out and kill. Just keep an eye on the drying time of the pots your girls are in.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I use the same 250 w MH lights (different bulbs) for veg and flower. I just start them out with the light all the way up (about 3 ft above the seedlings), then gradually lower them over the first 2 weeks. If you get the lights too close too fast, the plants will let you know.

desant

Veteran
Dudes i checked last night the info on my bulb : it HAS blue light added in it, its called "Grolux" All is well. :)