What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
gotta love oatmeal stout.. and also the scottish ale is good.. peace..

sack

I am going to start brewing my own as i have been told that it is a nicer and more potent drink, plus i dont know if this has been said already but it is also good for the CO2 for your plants as well!!!!

Just thought i would let you guys know as this is also what one of my m8s does and gets good results from it!

just be careful to wrap your carboy to keep the light out. the amount of co2 output is not that much but every little bit helps.:D

Also, I mistyped my recipe, it's 16 pounds malt. cheers:joint:

gtbuds2332

which brew to make?

which brew to make?

alright so im planning on goin to the homebrew store sometime this week and im tryin to decide what type of brew i should make, im just lookin for some suggestions and ideas...what you got?

Mmm Beer I love Beer....

Have been brewing for 15 years and tinkering with all things fermentable for a while including beer, meads,wines,cider,vodka,whiskey,gin ,absinthe and a few in between.

FallenBuddha
you have the cold break backwards,it's actually to separate out the protiens and tannins of the fresh fermentable wort=sugar

As the clear hot wort is cooled, the previously invisible coagulum loses its solubility and precipitates. The precipitate is referred to as the cold break and begins forming at about 60°C. The cold break mostly consists of protein-polyphenol (tannin) complexes.

Tripel round the world

Tripel round the world

Here's a recipe out of the book Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione. It's a belgian tripel that I would like to try as I have never brewed a Tripel.

Preboil tea
4.5 gallons cool water
1# crushed Cara pils barley
Grain bag
2 tsps gypsum
Boil ( 65 minutes)
9.9# light liquid malt extract
1# light dry malt extract
1 oz Saaz hop pellets (bittering) (60 min)
1 # chinese rock sugar(30 min)
1 tsps irish moss(20 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings hop pellets(flavor) (10 min)
.5 oz Saaz hop pellets (aroma) (10 min)
1# chinese rock sugar (5 min)
1.5 oz dried chamomile (end of boil)
Fermentation
Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey yeast or 3787 Trappist high gravity; orWhite labs WLP530 or WLP575
1# light brown sugar (day 2)

Starting gravity: 1.090
Final gravity:1.018
Final target ABV: 9%

The process is a pretty basic partial grain recipe. Steep your grain bag until you get to 170 then pullfrom heat and add your extract slowley while stirring.
Once it's all disolved return to heat, and start your additions as described above.

Chill and transfer to carboy. Be sure to aerate at this point as this is a high gravity and the yeast are gonna need it later on. When you add the brown sugar to 2 cups boiling water and chill to room temp before adding to carboy.

The chinese rock sugar is not a traditional additive but it might give it a pretty cool spice background. I'm interested to try it one day, I've had plenty of tripels and abbeys, but never something along these lines.

Well I hope some one tries it out, if so, let me know how it comes out.:D

Peace and good growin
mr. bojangles

og kush

can someone point me in the right direction to start brewing? hopefully get some herbal infused brews goin....?

Right direction

Right direction

Check out the site Beeradvocate.com They have alot of info on all beers and styles. There is also a directory to find good beer and homebrew stores. also, any book by micheal jackson(no not wacko).
Anyways, also youtube has alot of good videos, but be carefull and don't take everything on there as fact. That should get you going, good luck:D

gtbuds2332

Here's a recipe out of the book Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione. It's a belgian tripel that I would like to try as I have never brewed a Tripel.

Preboil tea
4.5 gallons cool water
1# crushed Cara pils barley
Grain bag
2 tsps gypsum
Boil ( 65 minutes)
9.9# light liquid malt extract
1# light dry malt extract
1 oz Saaz hop pellets (bittering) (60 min)
1 # chinese rock sugar(30 min)
1 tsps irish moss(20 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings hop pellets(flavor) (10 min)
.5 oz Saaz hop pellets (aroma) (10 min)
1# chinese rock sugar (5 min)
1.5 oz dried chamomile (end of boil)
Fermentation
Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey yeast or 3787 Trappist high gravity; orWhite labs WLP530 or WLP575
1# light brown sugar (day 2)

Starting gravity: 1.090
Final gravity:1.018
Final target ABV: 9%

The process is a pretty basic partial grain recipe. Steep your grain bag until you get to 170 then pullfrom heat and add your extract slowley while stirring.
Once it's all disolved return to heat, and start your additions as described above.

Chill and transfer to carboy. Be sure to aerate at this point as this is a high gravity and the yeast are gonna need it later on. When you add the brown sugar to 2 cups boiling water and chill to room temp before adding to carboy.

The chinese rock sugar is not a traditional additive but it might give it a pretty cool spice background. I'm interested to try it one day, I've had plenty of tripels and abbeys, but never something along these lines.

Well I hope some one tries it out, if so, let me know how it comes out.:D

Peace and good growin
mr. bojangles

well that definitely sounds interesting as i have never brewed a tripel either so that might be on the list to make....anyone else got any interesting recipies?

BONUS BAG

i just started brewing like 2 days ago,i got everything i needed to start for around 45 bucks.since i got all my info on the net i had a good idea of what i wanted when i went to the store,but the store was crappy through.i ordered stuff from alternative beverages
http://www.ebrew.com/index.htm just in case the store didnt have what i wanted.he didnt have anything just stout,ipa bitter and pilners by munton.the man at the store suggested ipa bitter so i got it and all the stuff i needed to make it lol i dont care what it taste like ima happily drink my first batch.the plastic bottles cost as much as a case of beer so i just got two cases of 16oz mgd plastic bottles.wish me luck

I did it Idid it I Frikkin did it I isod some trim and fresh hops then brewed a double ipa and it worked. Two beers and I felt like I ate some brownies:woohoo:
And a nice beer buzz too.

SupraSPL

Congrats! Did you boil the trim with the wort?

Another way that would probably work is to add some tincture during bottling.

I once came across some male leaves (Nirvana New Purple Power) that had the most unusual sweet aroma. I'm wondering what type of brew they would go good with as an aroma addition to the boil.

guest396

on one of my batches i added a a few handfuls of trim during fermentation to try to get the TCH into the alcohol but it didnt work very well...i think i needed a higher alcohol beer like above 10% and i should have used real bud...always next time

but as far as trying to add the flavor of some tasty bud i have not tried that, but its an interesting idea. I would imagine if you added it with your hops during the boil it would have to give some flavor...ill have to give it a try in an upcoming batch

read my post from another thread:

If you want the beer to taste similar to the herb then brew a low hop beer next when the beer is almost ready to bottle Dry Hop it with a hop sack full of good trim read about dry hopping on the web or get a book on brewing. do not use this method to get the THC from the beer for that read on.

If you do not want the taste of the weed as used like a hop in your beer then instead of refining THC from your weed in the method you would to get hash oil, then butane it (vector butane 5x refined) or use bubble hash instead or you will get the grassy flavor and defeat your original purpose. measure the amount for 5 gal (example) and then take a 1/4cup of quality vodka and dissolve it (the THC) into the vodka you do this by heating the vodka in a Pyrex measuring cup (no open flame please!) in a small amount of water that has been brought to near boiling in a sauce pan, add the vodka/THC mix when you add the priming sugar just before the bottling.

hope this helps

ohgee

dreadvik

@Ohgee: Cheers for that it looks most useful! I think I may give this a whirl soon :) They make and sell a flavoured beer around here but it has no THC content so the best of both worlds would be good.

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
I did it Idid it I Frikkin did it I isod some trim and fresh hops then brewed a double ipa and it worked. Two beers and I felt like I ate some brownies:woohoo:
And a nice beer buzz too.

You Isoed hops? YIKES!
When did you add the Iso hash?
Ever think about using a hop-back? I wouldn't do it for the ganj in your brew, but if you really want to get some good use out of your hops, it's the way to go.

You know every time I consider using weed in homebrew, I remember that I never pour the last 1/4 inch because of the yeast sediment (depends on the beer, actually, but I mainly don't pour that part).
Is it correct that I have concluded that the THC would have sunk to the bottom with the yeast sediment, getting wasted every time I properly pour my homebrew? I have made gumbi hash, and that process works entirely on the principle that gland heads sink in water... I know we are talking alcohol here, but meh, I don't know what to think. Any chemists in the house? Would THC disperse evenly throughout a 7-10% alcohol solution with various other trace amounts of proteins, or would it sink?

gtbuds2332

You Isoed hops? YIKES!
You know every time I consider using weed in homebrew, I remember that I never pour the last 1/4 inch because of the yeast sediment (depends on the beer, actually, but I mainly don't pour that part).
Is it correct that I have concluded that the THC would have sunk to the bottom with the yeast sediment, getting wasted every time I properly pour my homebrew? I have made gumbi hash, and that process works entirely on the principle that gland heads sink in water... I know we are talking alcohol here, but meh, I don't know what to think. Any chemists in the house? Would THC disperse evenly throughout a 7-10% alcohol solution with various other trace amounts of proteins, or would it sink?

that'sa very good question, i never thought of that....im also interested if anyone knows the answer? my guess would be that at least some would have to stay in the alcohol but like i said that's just a guess

dreadvik

Hrmm maybe mr. bojangles can tell us if the isod hops and hash sank or swam or seemed to evenly disperse when he added it?

I'm curious too as I don't want it ending up in the yeast slop no one drinks in the bottle of the fermentation barrel, although I often reuse that to make turbo cider so I have a chance of getting some of it back maybe?

I think this thread might end up in link o rama soon. Surely making good weed tasting and fueled brews is faq worthy :)

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
Well, I think the answer is to make hefeweizen and other styles that are traditionally unfiltered and in which the yeast are consumed... That cuts out a lot of styles, though...

Always wanted to do a hIghPA!