What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$1400 Electric Bill for 1 Bdrm Apt (HELP)

highbrid1

So I just got the worst bill of my life and I'm trying to figure out if it's legit or there's some sort of mistake here. I live in a 1 bdrm apt and run 2x 600w digital HPS in flowering and sometimes a 400w digital MH for veg. It is a medical grow and within the legal guidelines, but I still strongly prefer the building owner and electric company do not know what I'm doing. The bill was over $1400 total for August and September. It was the hottest 2 months of the year and I had the AC on a good amount, but still do not see how that justifies a $1400 bill. I work full time, am gone all day and do not consume much power at all outside if growing. I have a laptop computer, fridge and big screen TV that is on avg of 3 hours a day - that is it. I also run a 6'' vortex 24/7 and have a few other fans running most of the time. Also, for this billing period, I was only running one of the 600w HPS, not both.

I live in SoCal and they have this tiered billing system where the more power you use, the more expensive it gets. Here are how my numbers appear on the bill for two months:

Total of 6700/kwh
Avg of 108/kwh per day

I ended up using most of my power in the expensive tier where electricity runs 20 cents per kwh.

Does this sound right for my situation? I did the math and it doesn't add up at all.

If it's not legit, how do you recommend I contest the bill without setting off any alarms?

Thanks

Call an tell them most likely they will send someone out just retread the meter at most unless they say that's what your usage is then they will ask to send someone out to figure out why your using so much. Most likely it's an era on there part cause I can't see it being that much even with all those lights on. Give em a call you don't have to justify anything except it don't add up.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are in PG&E country, it could easily be right. My rates are about as reasonable as you can get in California (no tiers, .12/kwh), and 108kw/day would still be almost $400/month for me. Air conditioning is damn expensive to run, and if your lights are fighting it......

BrownThumb

That is a hell of a bill. Let's see, at .15 a KWH...6700*.15=$1005.00. I would say the bill is probably correct or not far off based on your saying that at least some of the usage was billed at .20. In my area, we are tiered and the base is .165. I cringe to think of what 6700 KWH would cost. Perhaps you can off some of your harvest to offset your overhead. Not a happy thought considering current prices, but if you need the $...

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
dont know electric rates in the us but air con units,,lamps and dishwashers use a shit load of electric and its expensive in the uk,,sounds like your bill could be accurate,peace and safe growing,944s2:tiphat:

highbrid1

dont know electric rates in the us but air con units,,lamps and dishwashers use a shit load of electric and its expensive in the uk,,sounds like your bill could be accurate,peace and safe growing,944s2:tiphat:

I'm gone all day during the week and the only appliances I use are a fridge/freezer and TV that's on 2-3 hours a day max. I also have a laptop that's on alot and use all low energy CFLs in my lamps. I was running only 1 of the 600s and a 400 for this billing period.

Did you have a grow going during the previous billing period? If so, how does it compare with this one?

Yeah, for the previous billing period I ran both 600s and the 400 and my bill was a little over $600 for two months. Before that, I ran 2 400s on coil ballasts with another 400 in veg and my bill never exceeded $385 for two months.

Joaltman88

If you go on the CARE program, your bill will be cut tremendously. I am in Southern California as well. I had a one bedroom apartment with 5000 watts and was paying $750 a month. Then, I got onto the CARE program with SDGE and the bill went down to $400.

They probably just mis-read your meter. 108 kwh per day is the equivalent of running 4500 watts 24hrs a day. Or 9 1000w lights on a 12hr cycle.

Sound fair to me.

Electric is very expensive and only getting more expensive.
Especially where i live where 1 kwh cost 1.5 dollas with tax.

blastfrompast

Veteran
wow...20cents..we are paying 1/4 that here....

Was your previous bill ESTIMATED...Here they only do a reading every second bill, so if their estimate is off the month before.... it gets tacked onto the new one.

highbrid1

If you go on the CARE program, your bill will be cut tremendously. I am in Southern California as well. I had a one bedroom apartment with 5000 watts and was paying $750 a month. Then, I got onto the CARE program with SDGE and the bill went down to $400.

Is the CARE program available through LADWP?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My boy told me people in Humboldt area were getting raided for abusing the care program. Be careful. I got off if it ill just pay the fuckers.