What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fireproofing your grow area

V

vonforne

If you have worked with drywall you know that they sell 5/8 fire rated board that withstand heat and fire to a certian degrees. If the room is sealed with their fire rated caulking it will give you greater protection. Here in florida I collect all the parts to build my own fire retarded system. (I build the high rises for all of you come to here.) So all of the sprinkler heads come cheap. Just like in elec. you can find some one who smokes. if you feel safe ask them to help you out. if not to do it for you but to build your self. You need a few fittings similar to standard PVC but it will be orange. a pressure guage, and atleast 4 sprinkler heads. And of course a little common sense to assemble.

fuzygrowth

no one wants a fire, and if you do get a fire, even a minor one the cops are rolling out there. now, do you want your house semi intact or burned to the ground.. i vote for burned to the ground.. hopefully there's nothing left. it's a fire that happened while comiting a felony, every minute extra that it burns means less evidence to prove. i say do everything you can to prevent a fire, and do zero to keep fire from spreading if there ever were one. thats what i say.

Arab2

How about haveing a setup with the remote air intake shut-off hooked up to a heat sensor to shut the lights and air flow off when flames are a issue.

Rockwool, I believe is a very flame retardent material!! Can withstand hours of Red hot flames. Incorperate Rockwool panels, with the auto- fire exstinguisher with the air intake cut off, and i believe you would have the safest system.

Fire needs Air-which would be taken care of
Burnable material- wich rockwool is not

What do you guys think about the Rock wool Panel Idea??

2buds

Solid electrical work, no short cuts here will do wonders to prevent fires. Also oily rags, not really an issue with grows but wood workers who use oils to finish products be aware that these rags can become combustible and self ignite, seen it happen. That's why schools use steel trash cans with self closing lids so fires stay put, safety cans or something like that. I've also heard of compost piles becoming hot enough to ignite so keep your compost outside away from the house, shed whatever you grow in. Be safe all.

alphacat

For the electronically inclined here, has anybody tried modding the trip circuit in a smoke detector to activate something like a solenoid driven extinguisher? Seems like it'd be a relatively easy equipment-hack.

Arab2 said:
Would useing rock wool paneling to line your grow area be exspensive?
Rockwool panelling?! WTF is that?

Throwgar

alphacat said:
For the electronically inclined here, has anybody tried modding the trip circuit in a smoke detector to activate something like a solenoid driven extinguisher? Seems like it'd be a relatively easy equipment-hack.

Rockwool panelling?! WTF is that?

How about attaching the smoke alarm to a CO2 bottle that could purge itself (20lbs all at once) into the grow area if there's a fire? Would that work?

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
Throwgar said:
How about attaching the smoke alarm to a CO2 bottle that could purge itself (20lbs all at once) into the grow area if there's a fire? Would that work?

Only problem with that is that the super high levels of CO2 could cause an asphyxiation hazard if the space is small enough unless you had a fan to vent it a few minutes after discharging the tank. That would really suck if you were sleeping in the same house and it went off since you'd never wake up...

M

machinehead83

arc fault breakers

arc fault breakers

I went to Lowes and Home Depot to purchase the arc fault breakers. They only have ones up to 20 amps which will not work for a 240 30 amp circuit of which I have one...all the other circuits are on the arc faults. Also, I didn't see any of the ones with the "pigtail" although the arcfault breakers have one incorporated into them and is part of how they work. I'm more worried about the propane C02 generator which can get really hot. I'm installing a piece of fireboard (used for wood burning stoves) above it. I also have a high temp cut off from CAP systems and set it for 100 F. If a fire did break out, everything would shut down, fans, lights, all. Grainger also has fire dampers for ventilation ducts. If a fire breaks out, these quickley close from the heat and starve the fire (at least block the ducting air flow). Having new ballasts, fans, etc...probably cuts down on these items causing problems if they are made by reputable companies like Sunlight Systems. Can also install in house detector and when away from the home can use HOBO's (dataloggers) which have a phone dialer and will call you when a sensor is tripped. You can set the alarm temp and when reached it will call you. You can also use this type of system for security and water leaks. Sensors are available for all and having the dialer call you instead of a monitoring company may save you and your grow. I do like the fire extinguishing system but there are also other systems that may be cheaper such as the regular sprinkler system discussed in earlier post. I'd be interested in getting more info on how to put that together since it's undoubtedly much cheaper than the auto fire extinguisher (1000 for 900 cubic feet). Water is much cheaper and with electrical cut offs would work great.

Last edited:

Sunset

High Temp Shut down

High Temp Shut down

Any one have a diy to make a high temp shut down?
I saw CAP has a high temp shut down that aslo included a 15min delay, so your light didn't start up to soon. Darn thing is $150. If it is like most of my other DIY project's. I'll prolly have $149 tied up trying to make one. :fsu:

PassionForMaryJ

Very informative helpful thread G. Potter!!!
I have heard of 5/8 board that is up to fire code, I have heard of some doubling this up, just get daggers, lol
I mean long ass screws, I reccomend 2 inch screws, you would have a little over a half inch biting into the wood....

Now if you go one layer, which would be fine for CABS then 1 1/4 inch screws will work fine..

To those with hydro rooms I did a lil research on mold proof board...
If available this would be best in hydro grow rooms, as well as in all since mold is an issue we try to eliminate all together if possible, mold is the enemy!!
Well one of them anyway, lol

ToughRock® Fireguard® Moisture-Guard
Available in 1/2" and 5/8" with fire-resistant Type X core.

That can be found here..
http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pname=ToughRock®+Gypsum+Board&pid=1490&hierarchy=pc

Scroll to the bottom and work your way up, you will find it faster..

A lil note, to those worrying about sound, they do make a 1/4" Sound Deadening Board that can be used under the 5/8" board..

[[Use with 1/2" or 5/8" ToughRock Fireguard to meet requirements for sound and fire resistance.]]

Here is the 5/8" Type X Gypsum Wallboard Standards, Testing, and Certification fire safety information...
http://www.gp.com/build/PageViewer.aspx?repository=bp&elementid=3487

Thanks again for the great thread!!!

PassionForMaryJ

I imaging that the ToughRock® Fireguard® Moisture-Guard can be painted, but I would use Foylon,if you can find it... it is heat and flame ressitant ;)
It's manufacturer discontinued it, but it is still available from some other places..

http://www.plantitearth.com/store/product.asp?pid=116&catid=4

http://www.ecogrow.com/index.cfm?product=1483&special=new

http://www.greenfire.net/hot/G074.html

It is easy to clean, easy to install, and lasts for many years....
It will reflect about 95% of the light.. and approximately 85% of the heat energy, so a good ventilation system should be used in conjunction with folyon.

A recommended method to attach Foylon to the walls would be using Velcro, as it makes taking it down for cleaning much easier..

Specifications:

Open grid spun polyester fabric / Aluminum foil laminate

Weight per sq. yard 2.6oz
Tensile-grab 70lbs
Tear-tongue 20lbs
Low temperature -60 F
Shading coefficient (ASHRAE) 0.29
Heat reflectivity (ASHRAE) 85%
Reflectivity for radiant energy 95%
R value 2.97
Material width 54"

Hope that helps a little, happy, safe growing everybody!!!

ish I had some C3 anti-detection film...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts